"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,171 of 6,388
Quote:
It's important to note that the Fostex drivers aren't that big, despite them being ortho's, they aren't
all that hungry. While speaker taps open up the HE-6 quite a bit, the MD is marginally improved on speaker taps.

If this means anything relevant.

When I run the maddogs on my MJ,..volume is at 9-10 o'clock
When I'm using the He-6's ,volume needs to be at, or around 2-3 o'clock.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #1,172 of 6,388
Quote:
If this means anything relevant.

When I run the maddogs on my MJ,..volume is at 9-10 o'clock
When I'm using the He-6's ,volume needs to be at, or around 2-3 o'clock.

Lots of factors to consider: Not fully broken in HE-6, source, source material, etc.

But yea, the HE-6 is not efficient, while the MD is not all that inefficient.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,173 of 6,388
Quote:
Has anyone tried speaker taps with the MDs?  If they are as hard to drive like some people are saying, they may benefit from the speaker out put like the HE-6.  The HE-6 is a whole other animal driven from a good speaker amp.

My dual 300 watt mono blocks may be to much for the Mad Dogs.  There is a little better bass punch \ attack \ impact \ presents what ever word fits.  However, I don't have any room to play with on the volume knob.  Unlike the HE-6s the Mad Dogs will do better on a good headphone amp.  My B22 and balanced M^3 will give me just about the same bass response plus the Mad Dogs respond better to these headphone amps.  I mean I have more volume control to listen at what ever levels I like.  With the mono blocks it's either very low or very loud not much volume control at all.  

Oh well maybe some amps with less power will get better results.  My Mad Dogs will stay on my headphones amps and I'll leave the HE-6 to the mono blocks.  It's amazing how the HE-6 can take all that power and keep getting better with more.

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,174 of 6,388
I wouldn't really call the mad dogs hard to drive especially in relation to other orthos. I am able to easily drive them with my Concerto close to the same volume as my LCD-2's (around 10 o'clock on the knob). 

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #1,175 of 6,388
Today is the first day that I bring the Mad Dog to work with me. The next guy is 0.5 meter away from me and he didnt complain about sound leakage from the cups.
It is driven from the Dragon Fly (completely new as well). I certainly deliver the power to drive my Orthos with max in foobar and half of volume in Windows.
Thank mechgamer123 for the graphs, after 2 days of listening, now I notice the bass is there. It is smooth and well control, or due to the effect of burn in?
I strongly recommend the Dragon Fly with Mad Dog as a portable set up. I enjoy how musical it could be. Now I enjoy the song much more from the O2/ODAC.

My impression of the DF:

I don't know how to differentiate the sound signature of the dac and amp (I have O2/ODAC combo and Dragon Fly that drive my Mad Dog)
But here's what I can say. The DF is an amazing amp/dac. It drives my Sen HD650 at 30% of windows volume and drive my Mad Dog at 50% of windows volume. (100% volume in foobar)
I enjoy the sound from the DF to my 2 cans much more than the O2/ODAC because of it brings out the musical that I can stay back and enjoy listening, while O2/ODAC is so much analytical that I have my focus on the sounds rather than the music. However, I notice the O2/ODAC have smoother high, and bass goes very deep.
The Dragon Fly is a great amp/dac.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #1,176 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey guys, im really considering getting these headphones. I looked on the MrSpeakers site and there's 3 headphones available, one is the Mad Dog headphones + comfort strap, another is an upgrade to the Fostex headphones (like in the OP), and the other is the "New" Mad Dog with leather dog pads. 

Is there a difference in sound between each of these? Are they each different headphones or just slight modifications between each?

Lastly anyone have any idea how these compare to the Sennheiser IE80? Im considering selling mine to fund these.

1. First one is original headphones with an extra strap on the headband which provides extra comfort and does not change sound.
  2. Second option is to send in your own headphones and let him mod it. I doubt it changes sound.
  3. Third option is the first one but with different pads. I haven't tried them, but supposedly it's to refine the mids and give more bass. MrSpeakers recommends it.

"MrSpeakers offers an unconditional 15-day no-questions-asked return policy." So, I don't see what's the harm in trying them out :D

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,177 of 6,388
Quote:
  1. First one is original headphones with an extra strap on the headband which provides extra comfort and does not change sound.
  2. Second option is to send in your own headphones and let him mod it. I doubt it changes sound.
  3. Third option is the first one but with different pads. I haven't tried them, but supposedly it's to refine the mids and give more bass. MrSpeakers recommends it.

"MrSpeakers offers an unconditional 15-day no-questions-asked return policy." So, I don't see what's the harm in trying them out :D

Yeah i will try them out as soon as i can get my IE80 sold.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,178 of 6,388
How do you like that combo? I'm not feeling so hot on it right now. My mad dogs sound great but very flat. Either that or the D5000's 650 and HE-400 next to it are just bright as hell. The bass is very nice in my mad dogs, but is missing a lot compared to all the others.

It seems to me that a fairly neutral headphone just isn't for you.  I sometimes prefer my HD650's, but my preferences vary upon my mood (and source material).  I certainly don't feel that there's an incredible difference in the highs, but the 650's do have a little more shimmer/air.  Keep in mind that I do not use EQ, and from what I remember you do.  That already tells me that our tonal preferences are different.  I don't feel there's anything wrong with either method, but someone who prefers no EQ is probably more likely to be pleased by a neutral headphone.  Just my two cents.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #1,179 of 6,388
Ok, since "he" won't say anything, I will. I don't know where the misnomer of MD being a bass-head can came from. But stop it.
This headphone is about linear bass, plain and simple. You want something otherwise, EQ the hell out of it.

If it bothers you, then your preferences make it very clear that this headphone is not for you. 

And I'll quote a certain someone, I had a convo with last night. 

Some of you were comparing the MD headphones to headphones that have huge bass emphasis, like 10 db plus, and asking what's wrong with the Mad Dog.

"That's like asking why the LCD2 has no bass compared to a Beats"

Let's get this cleared up, so there's an understanding of exactly what this headphone is about.

/Rant.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #1,180 of 6,388
Quote:
Ok, since "he" won't say anything, I will. I don't know where the misnomer of MD being a bass-head can came from. But stop it.
This headphone is about linear bass, plain and simple. You want something otherwise, EQ the hell out of it.

If it bothers you, then your preferences make it very clear that this headphone is not for you. 

Some of you were comparing the MD headphones to headphones that have huge bass emphasis, like 10 db plus, and asking what's wrong with the Mad Dog.

Let's get this cleared up, so there's an understanding of exactly what this headphone is about.

/Rant.

I think they have a bit too much bass. 
basshead.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,181 of 6,388
Quote:

/Rant.

You tell them Paradoxper

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,182 of 6,388
Quote:

/Rant.

Yep!

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,183 of 6,388
Quote:

/Rant.

Absolutely. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm very happy that the Mad Dogs don't bloat the bass or make it rattle my head like the old Denons.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #1,184 of 6,388
So Brian over at BTG-Audio did a great job hardwiring and doing a dual entry on my MD.
I opted to re-terminate my cotton Q to a XLR 4-pin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back