"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Sep 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #1,156 of 6,388
I got my Mad Dogs with Dog Pads on Friday as Dan promised. They a very comfortable but I agree with Farnsworth about their sound after 12 hours and counting of burn-in. Also I will take them outside Monday to check how well they isolate plus after 100 hours of burn-in I will try them with Dragonfly/Asgard combo to compare with D7000 and HD650 unless they get sold

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #1,157 of 6,388
Hey guys, im really considering getting these headphones. I looked on the MrSpeakers site and there's 3 headphones available, one is the Mad Dog headphones + comfort strap, another is an upgrade to the Fostex headphones (like in the OP), and the other is the "New" Mad Dog with leather dog pads. 

Is there a difference in sound between each of these? Are they each different headphones or just slight modifications between each?

Lastly anyone have any idea how these compare to the Sennheiser IE80? Im considering selling mine to fund these.

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,159 of 6,388
So for my first step into the world of high quality home audio I ordered a pair of these headphones and I'm looking to get an amp that will properly drive them.
I've heard some people talking about the Lyr but I was wondering if anyone knew if a Bottlehead Crack would be up to the task and if so which would be more worth my time.

(I know its largely subjective but I appreciate any input!)

Sorry I just noticed your post, haven't been to the site for a couple days. Surprisingly the Crack does a decent job with these phones, by no means optimal though. The Crack likes 150 ohms and above. The Bottlehead S.E.X. Is a different story, the Maddogs sound fantastic driven by this amp. I built mine with the impedence switch boards, so I can change the output impedence to match different phones or speakers. It is more expensive than the Crack or the Lyr, but you get a fully functional speaker amp as well. I am using my Maddogs for my portable rig mostly, HM601, Dap into an IBasso PB1, into the Maddogs. Wow, what a great combination. Hope this helps.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,160 of 6,388
Quote:

They definitely will not benefit from this. The O2 is enough to drive them to full potential from a power perspective. A speaker amp is overkill. As far as the more power hungry orthos go (HE-6), these are not particularly difficult to drive.

Quote:
Has anyone tried speaker taps with the MDs?  If they are as hard to drive like some people are saying, they may benefit from the speaker out put like the HE-6.  The HE-6 is a whole other animal driven from a good speaker amp.

I'll test this out and give some results later.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #1,161 of 6,388
I found the MD is harder to drive than my sen HD650.
On O2/ODAC I can listen to the sen HD650 at 10-11 position. While I can turn it to 2 position for listening.
Any one here experience the same with me?

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,162 of 6,388
Quote:
I found the MD is harder to drive than my sen HD650.
On O2/ODAC I can listen to the sen HD650 at 10-11 position. While I can turn it to 2 position for listening.
Any one here experience the same with me?

I already mentioned this on my Asgard. I don't have to max out the volume knob when using EQ on my 650's but I sure can with the mad dogs. It's loud alright, but not quite as loud as you would think. 

Same story with Essence ST amp, in 600ohm gain mode, with EQ on you have to pretty much blast it. EQless isn't much of a problem, but I think they really need that low end boost.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,164 of 6,388
Quote:
Has anyone tried speaker taps with the MDs?  If they are as hard to drive like some people are saying, they may benefit from the speaker out put like the HE-6.  The HE-6 is a whole other animal driven from a good speaker amp.

I have with my own modified Fostex T50RP headphones.  While the modification process does take some of the efficiency away from the base headphone, the Fostex can benefit from speaker taps.  The orthodynamic driver is capable of handling much, much more power than a standard dynamic headphone driver.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,165 of 6,388
Quote:

I have with my own modified Fostex T50RP headphones.  While the modification process does take some of the efficiency away from the base headphone, the Fostex can benefit from speaker taps.  The orthodynamic driver is capable of handling much, much more power than a standard dynamic headphone driver.

You're saying it's possible to get even more out of them with more power? Sounds interesting.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,166 of 6,388
When I had the HE-6, it only sounded its best from speaker amps.  Some headphone amps sounded good, but not the way a speaker amp can drive it.  When people hear "speaker amp" they automatically think it's overkill.  The thing is you only use it at normal listening levels which may be just a watt or two.  The HE-6 was great with the first few watts but it could also handled the rest of the 45, 70, 100 watts with ease.  Just the nature of an ortho I think.  The LCD-2 was much more efficient so most amps where too noisy and only the best and cleanest amps worked.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #1,167 of 6,388
Quote:
I just received my Mad Dog as well and I do wonder about burn in as well. I dont see it as bassy as I expected. Very much neutral to my ear compare to the Sen HD650.
I am not sure if that is caused by my O2/ODAC that make the headphone so analytical, that I can't concentrate on the music.

If you look at tyll's measurements for the HD650 and Mad Dogs, you can see there's a bass hump with the HD650s, but the Mad dogs are relatively flat.
HD650:

Mad Dogs:

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,168 of 6,388
Quote:
If you look at tyll's measurements for the HD650 and Mad Dogs, you can see there's a bass hump with the HD650s, but the Mad dogs are relatively flat.
HD650:

That might explain the bass situation. Not sure what I was expecting out of them in that department. They certainly deliver the bass once you encourage it enough, but even then (and loud) the sensation of the low-end is different then say my d5000's. Course when I switch to my D5000's I also notice right away more high-end information (or maybe it's just exaggerated?). Between the two however, they don't sound a lot different considering they use different drivers.

So far it's feeling like if you had no other cans you would love these, but I do. Not sure most people would agree with me on the low-end though, I think it would be enough for most. This could however be a power issue and possibly fixed with a higher powered amp (like the speaker amp that has been suggested.)

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,169 of 6,388
It's important to note that the Fostex drivers aren't that big, despite them being ortho's, they aren't
all that hungry. While speaker taps open up the HE-6 quite a bit, the MD is marginally improved on speaker taps.

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,170 of 6,388
Quote:
It's important to note that the Fostex drivers aren't that big, despite them being ortho's, they aren't
all that hungry. While speakers open up the HE-6 quite a bit, the MD is marginally improved on speaker taps.

That's been in the back of my mind the whole time I've researched/used these. I wonder how much bigger the drivers on the lcd or hifimans are. I would say the low end is pretty impressive for a 1.25" flat square though in that sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back