"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #346 of 6,388
Jesus,what happened to the origial thread,wasnt it about SQ?

Next we'll be seeing a thread on how the T50's look while sitting on the toilet????

Who cares how we looking while wearing a pair of headphones...really cumon,please...

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #347 of 6,388
Quote:
Jesus,what happened to the origial thread,wasnt it about SQ?

Next we'll be seeing a thread on how the T50's look while sitting on the toilet????

Who cares how we looking while wearing a pair of headphones...really cumon,please...

You're such a dirty boy! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #348 of 6,388
I don't understand why an object can't be both aesthetically pleasing AND of superb function without being prohibitively expensive. I think about, say the newer Hyundais or Fiat 500 Abarth, and I see economy, aesthetics, and high quality function all hanging together and wonder WHY it has to be that way. As an aspiring Industrial Designer, I wonder about this frequently. Obviously, design is being used as a value-added or method of distinction for marketing purposes, but it needn't be that way.

All that said, I think the Mad Dog/Fostex looks just fine. They certainly look comfortable enough.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #349 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't understand why an object can't be both aesthetically pleasing AND of superb function without being prohibitively expensive. I think about, say the newer Hyundais or Fiat 500 Abarth, and I see economy, aesthetics, and high quality function all hanging together and wonder WHY it has to be that way. As an aspiring Industrial Designer, I wonder about this frequently. Obviously, design is being used as a value-added or method of distinction for marketing purposes, but it needn't be that way.
All that said, I think the Mad Dog/Fostex looks just fine. They certainly look comfortable enough.

Haha! Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many of us find the HE-400 nice looking and sounding. 
While others think it looks cheap or complain about the color. Subjective, my friend.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #350 of 6,388
Haha! Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many of us find the HE-400 nice looking and sounding. 
While others think it looks cheap or complain about the color. Subjective, my friend.

Oh, it doesn't have to live up to MY aesthetics, but even when something violates my own preferences, as long as I can tell someone THOUGHT about it, I'm pleased. Nothing is so irksome as something that makes me feel like quality was an afterthought. Most Chevy cars strike me this way....like, "Let's not even try..."

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #351 of 6,388
Huh....website says they're out of stock but let me add one to the cart.  Does that just mean I'd be on back-order?  And for how long?

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #352 of 6,388
Hi... I'm on vacation.  I thought I had setup adequate stock for shipping but orders spiked and it lasted two days. I have a large production run in process and orders will start to ship on the 20th when I complete the final QA process.  

Alas, the website engine allows me to say "2-3 days" or "out of stock".  I will probably post a notice to avoid confusion.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #353 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi... I'm on vacation.  I thought I had setup adequate stock for shipping but orders spiked and it lasted two days. I have a large production run in process and orders will start to ship on the 20th when I complete the final QA process.  

Alas, the website engine allows me to say "2-3 days" or "out of stock".  I will probably post a notice to avoid confusion.

That sounds like a good kind of problem to have.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #355 of 6,388
At work, which is a bit on the warm side, the MD's can get quite hot over the ears. I understand the seal with the shure pads are part of where the good SQ comes from - what are the thoughts of the difference if I were to add some sort of velour over the pads? Maybe like a microfiber sock type fabric? I don't want to change the pads, just ease the sweat factor a bit.  They're fine at home, but I keep my place at like 19 degrees (C)...

I guess I could always just try it, but don't want to waste my time if it's going to tank the SQ. Thoughts?

-Dirk

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #356 of 6,388
Quote:
At work, which is a bit on the warm side, the MD's can get quite hot over the ears. I understand the seal with the shure pads are part of where the good SQ comes from - what are the thoughts of the difference if I were to add some sort of velour over the pads? Maybe like a microfiber sock type fabric? I don't want to change the pads, just ease the sweat factor a bit.  They're fine at home, but I keep my place at like 19 degrees (C)...

I guess I could always just try it, but don't want to waste my time if it's going to tank the SQ. Thoughts?

-Dirk

I think you should go ahead and try it out.  On www.innerfidelity.com - Tyll tested out some modified Fostex 'phones a few months back.  LFF of the forum here, submitted a version of his Paradox headphones with a sock mod on the ear cushion side.  You might want to check into that review and peruse the measurements section, too, and confirm how the sound may have changed with this feature - whether it was positive or negative.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #357 of 6,388
Got mine today. Loving them. After I've had more time I'll try to write a little bit.

Also, I prefer the new decal to the carbon fiber for sure.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #358 of 6,388
Received mine today as well. Re-acquainting myself with the sound of my D5000's (3 weeks with only M50's) before trying the Mad Dogs which I have burning in on another system. Will post appropriate impressions later either on this thread or a separate one.

Big up to Dan for being an awesome guy to deal with.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #359 of 6,388
Nice. Keep us posted! I wanted to test mine "against" de D5000s as well but since MY Mad Dogs seem to have a defect, I'll wait until my replacement. :p

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #360 of 6,388
Quote:
Received mine today as well. Re-acquainting myself with the sound of my D5000's (3 weeks with only M50's) before trying the Mad Dogs which I have burning in on another system. Will post appropriate impressions later either on this thread or a separate one.

Looking forward to your impressions, especially since you mention the d5000. IMO the T50 is what I wish the d2000 was when I had it. My problem with the d2000 was the mids, and it's laid back signature. Not the case with the T50. Actually I think if a Grado and a Denon pro created the result would be my modded T50. Not sure what Mr. Speakers mod sounds like, but I'm assuming it's got some giddy up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back