"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #376 of 6,388
Why the dislike for that Schiit?  I'm not a fan of the case work.  However, they seem to be putting out some really good Schiit. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #377 of 6,388
x2. Explain yourself! 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #378 of 6,388
Guys guys, this is going too much off-topic. It's just that I've somewhat adopted Voldemort's objective view and would rather buy products from companies that present clear measurements of their products. I know many Schiit products have had a good reception in the Head-Fi world so they probably are not bad, it's just a bit of a question of principle for me.

Gotta do some grocery shopping and cooking, will leave Dogs burning in while I'm at it.

Oh and the case work I think is the best thing about Schiit products (together with the name).

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #380 of 6,388
Don't they also use a plain casing method to lower costs?

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #382 of 6,388
Quote:
Don't they also use a plain casing method to lower costs?

I think so.  The case looks pretty much like a  standard "U" shape.  The design may have a lower cost, and also when it comes to assembly, I'm sure some time is reduced on that aspect, too.  Please keep in mind that my observations and comments are not meant as criticism of Schiit.  I'm actually quite impressed of their offerings that are truly "made in the U.S.A." - and, for the price points they offer their gear at.  I'm sure someday, I'll own their gear.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #383 of 6,388
Quote:

I think so.  The case looks pretty much like a  standard "U" shape.  The design may have a lower cost, and also when it comes to assembly, I'm sure some time is reduced on that aspect, too.  Please keep in mind that my observations and comments are not meant as criticism of Schiit.  I'm actually quite impressed of their offerings that are truly "made in the U.S.A." - and, for the price points they offer their gear at.  I'm sure someday, I'll own their gear.

Na, I didn't take anything you said in a negative way. It's just when I think of Schiit's casing I think of Apple: Nice and sleek aluminum, but
then I think of universal and cheap. Then I might think that hey, that case keeps those components safe and cool. haha

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #384 of 6,388
Saw these on fb from Moon Audio and shot Drew an email, he let me know he can do it but Dan would need to provide new stickers to cover the hole. I'm def considering it strongly. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #386 of 6,388
Quote:
Saw these on fb from Moon Audio and shot Drew an email, he let me know he can do it but Dan would need to provide new stickers to cover the hole. I'm def considering it strongly. 
biggrin.gif

Wow! Seriously...Just got done contacting someone about balancing out and making them dual entry. He said there's not enough room.
Never would of thought Drew would be able to do it. Very, very nice!

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #387 of 6,388
Quote:
Paradoxper, I just noticed your avatar..how do you like the Lyr with the Mad Dogs? What tubes are you using? :D 

Haha. Well, I like the Lyr quite a bit in general, it's "better" to my ears than a lot of other stuff I've heard. Was wanting balanced though for a Mjolnir and or B22.
As far as tubes go, the Lorenz are my favorite and most used, but the Siemen & Halske are very nice as well as Mullard CV2493.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #388 of 6,388
Quote:

Every T50 clicks when the cup is moved and it's not on the head, that's just the plastic joint.  None "grind" unless there's dirt or a contaminant in the joint. The degree of clicking and motion varies a bit as it's not a close tolerance ball joint.

As this doesn't impact playback it's up to you if you want to return it.  If you do, no worries, I'll clean the joint.  I will be on vacation from the 11th-18th.  In my absence we'll be shipping, but I won't be doing any warranty work that week.

How much would a cleaning cost? The one side (the side without the cable jack) is pretty annoying. Adjusting on my head will cause noise. I'm afraid maybe I snapped something internally when I replaced the pads - If that's the case, what would repair cost?

Also, wow, this thread's developed.

EDIT: THe side with the cable jack is smooth and makes no clacking noises. Upon closer inspection, the copper going in to the U shaped piece (on the side that's noisey!) that pivots on the cup is loose-ish, too. Unknown if that is relevant to the noise.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #389 of 6,388
[size=medium]I hear these sounds almost 80% of LCD2, been 75% cheaper….I want to know how much they scale with D2K sub bass….also I wish Mad Dog would have priced these little more cheaper say 180$...I was considering to get either Mad Dog T50RP or HE400, as difference only around 150$ I would go with HE400 itself…I read on many threads that HE400 beats D2K by a big margine[/size]

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #390 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=medium]I hear these sounds almost 80% of LCD2, been 75% cheaper….I want to know how much they scale with D2K sub bass….also I wish Mad Dog would have priced these little more cheaper say 180$...I was considering to get either Mad Dog T50RP or HE400, as difference only around 150$ I would go with HE400 itself…I read on many threads that HE400 beats D2K by a big margine[/size]

Up until a few weeks back, the Mad Dogs were priced at $299 and the price was dropped to $249.  Sure, we all would like better prices, but the reality is that a company also has to be profitable.  If a company is not profitable, they can't survive.  If they can't survive, they won't be around with future product offerings.

I've performed some T50RP modifications myself in the past.  Once you've placed the cost for all the materials together and were trying to sell them for $180, I think that's really cutting things close.  Not only is there little room for warranty support, but also very little, if any profit.  With the Mad Dogs, you're buying a product that has gone through a "research and development" effort to ensure the headphone is tuned right.  You're paying for a "turn-key" headphone that will work and sound correctly right out of the box.

Sure, one can save a few bucks performing some enhancements themself, but then that cuts into free time - which many of us don't have a lot of.  Additionally, I worked on a re-cable job yesterday for a pair of Fostex headphones with balanced connectors, etc. - and, before I knew it, I had consumed 3 hours of time.

The offering for $180 modified Fostex headphones is out there - but, it is among the likes of people like Justin who come on this forum and think they can easily turn a quick profit and their product is worth what the market is pricing the items at - yet, they don't put any "R&D" time or measurements into the headphones.  So, a few products ship from a said individual and all of a sudden, you have a thread started about someone like Justin who owe's people in excess of $1,400.

There's a rhyme and reason for a product that can command a price like the Mad Dogs do.  I've also been at the crossroads like you have - and considered the cost vs. spending "x" more to move up to another product.  But, let me tell you, if you have even the smallest issue, Dan is there to work with you.  When my HifiMAN HE-400s developed a problem, it happened that I had to send the headphones to New York, then they notified China to dispatch a pair out to me.  When it was all said and done, it took exactly 4 weeks to get my replacement HE-400s.  To me, that's an awfully long and painful time to wait for assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back