"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #392 of 6,388
[size=10pt]Thanks for this detailed note….point well understood…now I respect and honor, both price and service from Dan[/size]

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #393 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=medium]I hear these sounds almost 80% of LCD2, been 75% cheaper….I want to know how much they scale with D2K sub bass….also I wish Mad Dog would have priced these little more cheaper say 180$...I was considering to get either Mad Dog T50RP or HE400, as difference only around 150$ I would go with HE400 itself…I read on many threads that HE400 beats D2K by a big margine[/size]

Mad Dogs priced that low would be a rip off for Dan. His product stands on its own and really is easily
double the admission price, IMO. He's also offered some of the best CS I've experienced.

the Mad Dogs are preferred for me to my LCD-2 and are much cheaper. That said..they don't do everything right
nor does the LCD-2, or any other headphone. So you need to throw your preferences out there so we can get a better idea
fo what headphone would be the best fit. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #394 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=10pt]Thanks for this detailed note….point well understood…now I respect and honor, both price and service from Dan[/size]

Yep. The current price of the Mad Dogs, in my opinion, is bordering on ridiculous. I haven't experienced many other cans of the price range but seeing as I prefer the Dogs to the D5000 (not the best value phone out there) with everything I've tried so far, I think it is somewhat remarkable. YMMV etc.

On another note, just kind-of A/B'd Norah Jones's Chasing Pirates on both of the cans and preferred the Dogs. Of course there's psychoacoustics and them being my newest set of headphones and all that, but there's something to their sound that I really like. It might have to do with the ortho bass extension providing a very solid base for the rest of the spectrum. Or something. I don't really feel like I'm missing anything from the song with them, that's maybe the best I can put it.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #395 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:
[size=medium]I hear these sounds almost 80% of LCD2, been 75% cheaper….I want to know how much they scale with D2K sub bass….also I wish Mad Dog would have priced these little more cheaper say 180$...I was considering to get either Mad Dog T50RP or HE400, as difference only around 150$ I would go with HE400 itself…I read on many threads that HE400 beats D2K by a big margine[/size]

Mad Dogs priced that low would be a rip off for Dan. His product stands on its own and really is easily
double the admission price, IMO. He's also offered some of the best CS I've experienced.

the Mad Dogs are preferred for me to my LCD-2 and are much cheaper. That said..they don't do everything right
nor does the LCD-2, or any other headphone. So you need to throw your preferences out there so we can get a better idea
fo what headphone would be the best fit. 

[size=medium]Guys, I apologize if I had offended anyone…I do like and hear all kind of music’s…no particular preferences…I assume all head-fi’er will be looking to try new and rediscover their music collection….what is point been active here if you do not want to try new…[/size]

[size=10pt]Honestly though, there's no cheap way to great sound, it's all very well to say one headphone can compete with another though pricing and come out as winner…it is difficult to understand the pricing and if one do not understand they will not be able to press the button…this is more true with can’s that are modified and sold…as I said in previous post I fully understand and honor Dan’s price and services now.[/size]

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #396 of 6,388
i wouldnt say i was offended, just want to get the facts out to you and anyone else that might feel the way you do.  the people on this thread are great people.  

i was also considering the he400 and the MDs. i went with the MDs because of the price, reviews, and how awesome Dan was/is with his customer service.  if i do try a hifiman, im skipping the he400 and going to the he500 or 6.

the clarity and balance of the MDs is pretty hard to match in its price range but it does come down to personal preference.  some will say the hd600, hd650, q701, etc are better but thats their personal preference. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #397 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=medium]Guys, I apologize if I had offended anyone…I do like and hear all kind of music’s…no particular preferences…I assume all head-fi’er will be looking to try new and rediscover their music collection….what is point been active here if you do not want to try new…[/size]

[size=10pt]Honestly though, there's no cheap way to great sound, it's all very well to say one headphone can compete with another though pricing and come out as winner…it is difficult to understand the pricing and if one do not understand they will not be able to press the button…this is more true with can’s that are modified and sold…as I said in previous post I fully understand and honor Dan’s price and services now.[/size]

I don't think anyone was offended. Bottom line is we can only offer our opinions..nothing more. I might find the MD to be worth 2x the price, while someone else
may disagree. Same can be said for my liking them as much as LCD-2. Our hearing and preferences will surely differ.

Comparatively the Paradox are much more as well as the Thunderpants. Doesn't that already show some value?

I'd also note that Dan seems to have a great return policy. He does everything he can to ensure your satisfied with his product and if not,
he'll make sure you appreciate the experience at the very least.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #398 of 6,388
Just go to the upcoming meet.  Have a listen to a few different headphones.  Hell, you might come out the meet really liking something else totally different than what you had your eyes set on.

Let your ears be the judge. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #399 of 6,388
Quote:
Just go to the upcoming meet.  Have a listen to a few different headphones.  Hell, you might come out the meet really liking something else totally different than what you had your eyes set on.

Let your ears be the judge. 

[size=11pt]I am sure looking forward to it and thanks again for sending me a PM about this event..which I was not aware of[/size]

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #400 of 6,388
Quote:
I have been considering a new headphone in the $300 +/- range for home use only. My dream cans would be the LCD-2.2 (LCD-3 is so out of my range that I don't even entertain it). So, I had been considering a number of the usual suspects all of which are open cans -- e.g., Beyer DT880 (250 ohm); AKG Q701; Senn HD 600 or 650.  I was also considering bridging the gap in terms of price between those and the LCD-2 with something like the Hifiamn HE-500, but that is still a little more expensive than I would ideally like.  This thread, with comparisons of the Mad Dog to the LCD-2's, has really piqued my interest.  At the current price, if it even resembles the LCD-2 it sounds like a bargain. Does anybody in this thread like any of the aforementioned cans over the Mad Dog or is the Mad Dog just a much better value. I really had my mind set on an open HP, but all the praise here for the Mad Dogs has made me reconsider.

Also, I would be looking to drive the new cans with my Marantz AVR receiver, not a separate headphone amp (at least not for now).

Out of the cans I have been able to listen to oer the past few weeks, I have now narrowed down my choice to the AKG Q701 or the Beyer DT 880. The Mad Dogs are the one other alternative although I have not been able to listen to them.  Any thoughts on differences between the Beyers and AKGs and the Mad Dogs. Other than the MD's, everything else I have been considering are open cans and that had been my strong preference until I came upon this thread.

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #401 of 6,388
Quote:

Out of the cans I have been able to listen to oer the past few weeks, I have now narrowed down my choice to the AKG Q701 or the Beyer DT 880. The Mad Dogs are the one other alternative although I have not been able to listen to them.  Any thoughts on differences between the Beyers and AKGs and the Mad Dogs. Other than the MD's, everything else I have been considering are open cans and that had been my strong preference until I came upon this thread.

i just had the q701 and my main headphone is the t1 (kinda can compare to the 880).

all 3 headphones sound amazing.  the q701 sounds airy and the comfort level is amazing.  for the street price of 240 or so on amazon, its a wonderful deal.  i didnt like the cable.. its green so for me, id hav eto add another 50-80 for an aftermarket cable.  that being said the q701 to me, is looser than the MDs.  the bottom mid and top end just seems tighter on the MDs.  

i havent had enough time to compare vs the t1 but i find that for the price, the MDs clarity and tightness are amazing.  the t1 is 4 times the price of the MDs. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #402 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=11pt]I am sure looking forward to it and thanks again for sending me a PM about this event..which I was not aware of[/size]

Yes, please join us in Annandale at the end of the month.  I'll have my HE-400s, HE-500s, Sennheiser HD-428, and BMF 8.1 Fostex headphones there.  Also, I'll have the Little Dot I+ amp, the Music Streamer, and my soon to arrive Audio-GD NFB-12 DAC / amp.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with the wrecking crew from this joint. 
biggrin.gif
  I hope to try out a pair of LCD-2 headphones for my first time and maybe the Sennheiser HD-800 and hopefully some other "surprises".  I'll have plenty of genres of music loaded on the laptop to use Foobar and the latest "beta" WASAPI drivers so some EQ can be applied here and there if necessary.

I might have some "Give-Aways" like 3 or 4 Fostex T50RP cables that I have no need for.  Also, I'll have a Grado cable in excellent shape for the SR-60 or SR-80, as it's not the 4 conductor cable, but still a cable in great shape.  I also have my famed "I'd Rather Be Listening to my Grados" license plate frame that I'll seek a few bucks for as it's made out of black metal, with white letters and I don't have a pair of Grados at the moment, so it's kind of crazy to have on my car.

That's about it.  I'm not really a politically correct person and love to joke a bit.  Usually, the weekends allows me to let loose a bit because I have to stay so buttoned down during the work-week.

In the end, all that matters is the music.  
gs1000.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #405 of 6,388
Excellent day today, three parcels received within hours. Both RMA'd LCD-3 and Mad Dogs and as a bonus Lake People G109S. 
biggrin.gif

Much thanks to Dan for spending holiday time to fix up the bass! I can say that it IS very close to LCD-2 levels now. 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back