"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 18, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #423 of 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also have my famed "I'd Rather Be Listening to my Grados" license plate frame that...

I guess you will have to get yourself an, "I'd rather be listening to my orthos" frame now...or maybe you should wait a little bit, at the rate you're going it will be, "I'd rather be listening to my Stax rig" before long
evil_smiley.gif

The Annadale thing sounds like a good time. Headphone geeks gettin geeky over their gear, sort of like a Star Trek convention for audiophiles
biggrin.gif
Have fun, let me know how your  HE400 synergizes with your new Audio gd DAC / amp. My T50's love my Sparrow.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #426 of 6,388
Quote:
I guess you will have to get yourself an, "I'd rather be listening to my orthos" frame now...or maybe you should wait a little bit, at the rate you're going it will be, "I'd rather be listening to my Stax rig" before long
evil_smiley.gif

The Annadale thing sounds like a good time. Headphone geeks gettin geeky over their gear, sort of like a Star Trek convention for audiophiles
biggrin.gif
Have fun, let me know how your  HE400 synergizes with your new Audio gd DAC / amp. My T50's love my Sparrow.

Sure thing. 
wink.gif
  I actually think there's a Bank of America with an ATM a few blocks away from the event. 
eek.gif
  I would like to say I could just leave my ATM card at home and take some cash for the day.  However, I still have access to PayPal, which is linked to a few accounts and cards ... which still doesn't get me off the hook.

Each time I think I'm "done" with something and desire some stability with the gear, the old Godfather line haunts me: "Just when I think I'm out ... They pull me back in"

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #428 of 6,388
Thanks all, I really like the pelican idea for long trips, but for my commute am going with http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2857 , which seems perfect!

Will post photos once I get my MD's in this thing. Thanks again!

-dirk

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #429 of 6,388
Quote:
i wouldnt say i was offended, just want to get the facts out to you and anyone else that might feel the way you do.  the people on this thread are great people.  

i was also considering the he400 and the MDs. i went with the MDs because of the price, reviews, and how awesome Dan was/is with his customer service.  if i do try a hifiman, im skipping the he400 and going to the he500 or 6.

the clarity and balance of the MDs is pretty hard to match in its price range but it does come down to personal preference.  some will say the hd600, hd650, q701, etc are better but thats their personal preference. 

And here I am trying to go in reverse from you!  I was considering the Mad Dogs, but splurged on some used HE-500s from Amazon Warehouse ('cosmetic damage' that it took some searching to even find).  If I'd not got that deal - which still had the HE-500s at more than double the MDs - I'd have already ordered the MDs.

Now I'm thinking about them as a nice closed-can bass ortho for my electronic music....not that the HE-500s can't do that, but they aren't 'fun bass' headphones.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #430 of 6,388
No disrespect to the HE-500, but you should have gotten the MD and then the HE-400 for electronic. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #431 of 6,388
Quote:
No disrespect to the HE-500, but you should have gotten the MD and then the HE-400 for electronic. 

I'm really digging the HE-500 and I wanted an open headphone for my main set.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #433 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm really digging the HE-500 and I wanted an open headphone for my main set.

The HE-500 is a very good headphone so I can understand that. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #434 of 6,388
Quote:
Or you could just EQ bass up on the HE-500 whenever you want to listen to electronic music.  

I usually hate EQing, but you may be right - the bass is very controlled and extends a good way.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #435 of 6,388
Quote:
I usually hate EQing, but you may be right - the bass is very controlled and extends a good way.

I don't quite get what people hate about it.. it's just a natural extension to the "hobby". And a much more sane one than cables or so, but let's not get into that..

Even LCD-2/3 are lacking bass by default, I usually always have a 4dB boost in the <100hz section. But that's just me. Movies usually require +8dB @ 20hz gradually sloping down to 100hz, and oh boy it's a joy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back