"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #316 of 6,388
I think Smeggy has gotten his due credit, but I also think there's a ton of others who have contributed
just looking at how the Fostex modding thread is still going strong, the contributions continue.
Smeggy has been mentioned numerous time within this thread,

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!, as well as 

Is it true that modded T50RP's (specifically LFF's Paradox mod) is comparable to high end headphones such as the LCD2?

I personally found the Thunderpants really good in the beginning, but I feel that mod 
has been surpassed by the Mad Dogs as well as Paradox. But hey, well all like different things.

Thanks and appreciation should go to Dan, LFF, Smeggy, the numerous contributors and
any other names left out. You have shown how a nice little headphone can dwarf into a monster.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #317 of 6,388
Just got mine in the mail today. Here are my first impressions:

Comfort: 9.9/10

I had gotten used to my HD600, and thought that it was the pinnacle of comfort, so I was expecting these to be closer to my ATH-m50 in comfort. I was completely wrong. The big cushy ear pads and soft leather headband make this ( dare I say it) the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more clamp.

Test tracks:

The Dark Knight OST - Why So Serious  

Anyone who has heard this track knows I picked it because of the chest thumping bass at 3:30. The Mad Dog did not disappoint. The soft, powerful bass was like hearing your blood pump in your head after a workout. Something I did not expect: I heard something new. Very, VERY softly, there is a snare drum being played with a brush as the bass starts to pump. I had not heard this with my HD600, as it is so quiet that the fans on my computer must have over powered it. I listened again with my ATH-m50.. yuck. I could make out the snare, but only if I ignored the bloated muddy overpowering mess of bass. 

Timbaland - Give it to me 

I picked this track to test the harshness of the rim shots. This song is almost unbearable on my HD600 because the rim shots feel like they are piercing my eyes. On the Mad Dog, they are still present, and forward, but without the pain. Also, I hear a shaker, or maraca in the background during the hits, which I always thought was distortion from poor recording on the HD600.

Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

Beautiful.  On par with the HD600. I don't have much more to say about this one. The HD600 plays this  as good as I imagine it could be played, and the Mad Dog keeps up. Even in soundstage. Really, the soundstage is surprisingly large on these headphones.  Bigger than I thought closed phones could be.

Raiders of the Lost Ark OST - The Raiders March

I'm not sure if the Mad Dog is more resolving, or if it is just benefiting from the fact that it is closed. I can hear more quiet details, once again with the brushes on the snare. Either way, it has a leg up over the HD600 at least where I listen to it. If you have a perfectly silent room, I imagine that would make the HD600 sound as good on this track.

Overview:
Deep, extended, tight bass, not overpowering.  

Clear, smooth treble. Not sibilant, even on the songs that are the biggest offenders.

Surprisingly large sound stage (at least I think so), the only other "quality" closed can I have is the ATH-m50 which sounds like all the instruments are being played behind my eyeballs.

Overall, a fantastic headphone, and if my opinions do not change over the next few days, I imagine I will be packing up my HD600 and ATH-m50 to sell.

Note Well: These are my first impressions, and I have been looking forward to getting the in the mail for quite a while, so I could be suffering from some sort of expectation bias.

I will give an update after I have had more time to listen to see if my opinions change.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #319 of 6,388
Quote:
I would at the VERY least like to see some acknowledgement of this fact. Besides, the smeggy thunderpants is still one of the best closed headphones i have ever come across. Not to mention works of art and you'd be amazed at the glances you get and the people that want to strike up conversations about it.

I don't want Dan's Mad Dog thread to turn into a dumping ground, or one that has comments that stray too far off base.  I had one PM, or actually an e-mail exchange with Gary when I was looking for an item.  He was kind, and responded to my request.

However, there is another side when one considers the Thunderpants and that seems to be inconsistent communication.  Some people have indicated they haven't received an e-mail response in several weeks.  Where, others have placed their order and received their headphones within a 3-week period.  To me, this seems odd and somewhat, unprofessional.

Meanwhile, I have to commend Dan of Mad Dog.  Dan quickly responds and offers alternatives in order to keep his customers happy.  A very pleasant customer service experience with Dan has kept me enthusiastic and hopeful that his business will continue to provide fruits from his labors and hard work.

This is a great thing to experience, especially in a time when customer service seems to almost not exist in some scenarios.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #322 of 6,388
Actually they're quite alright. Nothing special to their looks but for the most part it's about sound, right? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #324 of 6,388
Quote:
but just the way it was posted true db fashion. 

also nice write up about your new MDs! mine are waiting for me at home (unless stolen from my doorstep) lol. 

Yea maybe, but the internet complicates communication at times. Actually...that was kind *******-ish

Thanks! Well, I did get your address. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Also looking forward to your impressions. 
gs1000.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #325 of 6,388
Quote:
Actually they're quite alright. Nothing special to their looks but for the most part it's about sound, right? 
biggrin.gif

The T50RP is a bit of a dorky looking headphone to begin with, what can Dan do exactly? The Thunderpants with wood cups, LCD-2 pads and LCD-2 headband looks gorgeous, but that involves throwing out most of the Fostex parts.. and A LOT more money of course.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #326 of 6,388
Quote:
The T50RP is a bit of a dorky looking headphone to begin with, what can Dan do exactly? The Thunderpants with wood cups, LCD-2 pads and LCD-2 headband looks gorgeous, but that involves throwing out most of the Fostex parts.. and A LOT more money of course.

There's a limitation as to what the T50RP can achieve.  Mostly, that has been proven by the various modifications that have been quite well documented.  Materials and time are essentially all that are needed.  If one wants the wooden cups, the LCD-2 leather head band and ear pads, then, yes, we're talking a lot of money.  More than the Fostex headphones are worth - again, due to limitations that will be hit.  Watch the F/S forum and see how long a pair of Thunderpants will site as the thread gets bumped.  The price range where the Mad Dogs fall is just about perfect.  Sure, the cups are still plastic, the ear pads are pleather ... the headphone might look a bit "dorky" as you've indicated.  However, there are plenty of headphones that look dorky and it doesn't end with the Fostex.  But, the reviews don't lie.  The Fostex is a very, very comfortable headphone that users can wear for several hours without fatigue.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #327 of 6,388
Quote:

You're just really missing the point. I'm fine with their looks. If I really wanna be flashy I can just pull on my LCD-2/3.
Also, I don't have a full sized mirror at the ready, so I can careless how they look. 
tongue.gif

Lastly Thunderpants don't solve anything. Mad Dogs walk all over it sonically. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #328 of 6,388
Quote:

I don't want Dan's Mad Dog thread to turn into a dumping ground, or one that has comments that stray too far off base.  I had one PM, or actually an e-mail exchange with Gary when I was looking for an item.  He was kind, and responded to my request.

However, there is another side when one considers the Thunderpants and that seems to be inconsistent communication.  Some people have indicated they haven't received an e-mail response in several weeks.  Where, others have placed their order and received their headphones within a 3-week period.  To me, this seems odd and somewhat, unprofessional.

Meanwhile, I have to commend Dan of Mad Dog.  Dan quickly responds and offers alternatives in order to keep his customers happy.  A very pleasant customer service experience with Dan has kept me enthusiastic and hopeful that his business will continue to provide fruits from his labors and hard work.

This is a great thing to experience, especially in a time when customer service seems to almost not exist in some scenarios.

It doesn't mean you can't buy one, or that the Mad Dogs are crap, it's just good to have respect for the ortho pioneers that made it possible.   Sachu is just suggesting a tip of the hat.

And no, I don't think everyone is aware of this fact based on what people have said in the T50rp thread.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #329 of 6,388
This is honestly irritating. Do ya'll really not think Smeggy has gotten credit through out 
all the threads on Head-Fi? He's discussed enough between LFF's Paradox, Dan's Mad Dog and
Smeggy's Thunderpants. Is this just going to turn into a Smeggy appreciation thread?
I think most of us are fully aware of what Smeggy has done and yes, we are or should be
thankful. But there are always going to be people who didn't read through the threads from the
beginning to understand Smeggy's work. I just feel this is becoming somewhat hostile
like no one here has ever mentioned Smeggy and like we're all just unappreciative 
and think Dan is the sole creator and contributor of any T50 mod. But afterall, this is the
Mad Dog by mrspeakers modified fostex T50RP Review thread.

Also, though I might have, I didn't mean to come across as an ***hole.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #330 of 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But afterall, this is the Mad Dog by mrspeakers modified fostex T50RP Review thread.

THIS!!!
And agree!
And no you didn't sound like an ass to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back