"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #286 of 6,388
Quote:

Thanks for the write-up.  A very good initial experience with you dealing with Dan of Mad Dog.  Also, it's great that he offers to cater to International customers, so you have access to some of the custom items from here in the U.S.  I remember another member in the forum here resides in Dubai.  The name escapes me at the moment, but he was on a big buying and selling binge for a while in the F/S section as he apparently was interested in trying out many different headphones and various amplifiers.

I've realized several pages back where another user had noted the "bubbling" of the label around where the jack plugs into the ear cup.  I'm wondering if Dan has considered using a razor blade to scrape those moldel letters and arrow off of the ear pad prior to installing the custom label?  It would allow the custom label to like flat on the cup plastic and reduce the appearance of the bubbling.

I was never satisfied with the original labels and made some new laminated vinyl ones without the faux carbon and you can now read the text through it.  A cut our around the text that is molded in the phone doesn't look so great. If it ever does bubble just heat the vinyl with a heat gun for a few seconds to soften it then press and the text should be readable.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #287 of 6,388
Just got my vmoda cable, fits perfectly and is very very very light compared to the stock cable. It appears to have made things a little more bright and open but its 98 degrees here in north jersey and I might just be out of my mind.

Kinda wish it was as long as the stock cable but since its so light its not bothering me what so ever, like I literally can't even tell there's a cable attached.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #290 of 6,388
Got notification of my Mad Dog being shipped back to me. I can't believe how much I've missed them and how excited
I am to try out the 840 pads. It will definitely be an interesting listen, I loved the 003 pads, but am assured the improved mod with 840 pads
sound "better" or at least more balanced. Looking forward to posting impressions.

Jul 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #291 of 6,388
Quote:
Got notification of my Mad Dog being shipped back to me. I can't believe how much I've missed them and how excited
I am to try out the 840 pads. It will definitely be an interesting listen, I loved the 003 pads, but am assured the improved mod with 840 pads
sound "better" or at least more balanced. Looking forward to posting impressions.

did you have an older revision or something? 

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #294 of 6,388
@Dirksqjaw
 Whatever you for living, quiet and start becoming a full time blogger on audio-gear, really enjoyed reading your review :D

Hah, thanks! I'm no where even remotely qualified to write actual reviews, but I'm very surprised and humble that someone enjoyed reading my rumblings!

My ODAC and C421 showed up just when I finished reading and now I can't wait to order some Mad Dogs this weekend. Super excited.

Jealous... Need to get an update on my stuff, the anticipation is killing me!

I was never satisfied with the original labels and made some new laminated vinyl ones without the faux carbon and you can now read the text through it.  A cut our around the text that is molded in the phone doesn't look so great. If it ever does bubble just heat the vinyl with a heat gun for a few seconds to soften it then press and the text should be readable.

I'm very happy the faux carbon was omitted. It's perhaps a silly thing but it's a pet peeve of mine. I remember going to the Abu dhabi auto show when they debuted the challenger, and it had faux carb on decal accents which drove me bonkers. Just effing shameful for a car.

With that said, I'd like to remove the decals entirely if I could, I just prefer cleanness and it's obviously a decal.

I've been listening to these cans a LOT, and as long as with the iPad... Dan, I love you. No amp/dac and I've still experienced songs that I've listened to thousands of times in new and absolutely thrilling ways. Hats off.

SHAHZADA123

Cool, will pm him and see if he's still around. Can maybe get me good info on local shops that cater to this particular hobby/obsession.

Also, to add to my earlier post, I tracked down a converter but it's a piece of shyte and completely screws the sound by just wiggling it. So instead of ordering a converter from the us, I got a couple Vmoda cables (different colors since cheap anyway), so thanks for the feedback on those. Will add my impressions when they come in.

-Dirk

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #295 of 6,388
much later edit: My Mad Dogs were from a faulty batch. Read forward in the thread. The fixed Mad Dogs are surprisingly close to LCD-2's!

There has been much talk about LCD-2, here's my 2 cents..

Overall bass is quite satisfying on the Dogs, but there just isn't anything happening with sinegen @ 20hz, just the drivers crackling while LCD-2 punishes with massive air movement. 30hz is starting to get there and 40hz is feeling similar. Depending on your genres and preferences it might not matter, but especially with movies I'm missing the rumble. You get what you pay for with LCD's, massive extension and headroom.

Dogs sound more airy or something like that, highs are a bit crispier but not shrill in any way. LCD's have a slight soundstage/depth/spaciousness/whatever advantage, but I'm fine with both. Mids, yes I hear them. See, I'm very good describing sound. 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm surprised how most of the time I reach out to the Dogs. Even if LCD-2 have more toe-tapping/head-banging effect for me (electronic/metal/etc), it's still extremely easy to grab them for casual/relaxing listening. It's just a slightly different presentation, nothing wrong with that.

Now I'm just waiting to get my LCD-3's back from RMA, we'll see if it shifts things. From what little time I had with them, I liked the presentation (and comfort) even quite a bit more than LCD-2.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #297 of 6,388
Quote:
One side has developed a "click" when the cup pivots, like it's grinding. Will probably send them in to Dan when he's "back".

That really seems like an odd issue.  As I recall, the Fostex has a chamber that a phillips screw fits down in and connects the two pieces of plastic together that hold the gold bar for the headband.  But, it might be that the screw is working its way loose a slight bit.  You don't see any separation (or looseness) of the plastic pieces that hold the gold headband rods to the cup, do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back