"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #5,341 of 6,388
Quote:
Interesting stuff with the cable. I'd prefer something like the vmoda...just a bit longer and with a full sized plug on the amp end. 

My second cable is more like the Vmoda you describe - braided 26 AWG OFC sheathed in black paracord.  I took more care in final sanding the plug with 400 grit wet/dry and touched it up with a semi-gloss black.  You have to look close to see it's not stock.  I'll post some photos later.

The Neutrik is very easy to bring down in diameter.  Depending on how carefully you file/sand, you can make a very snug fit yet have it connect/disconnect easily when needed. You just need to leave the paint off the section that fits into the jack.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #5,343 of 6,388
Quote:
Post the pics when you get a chance...and thanks for sharing. 

Here's a quick shot.

The other end is 3.5mm also, as I am currently using my JDSlabs CmoyBB out of my Bifrost until my new Asgard 2 ships (hopefully) next week.  I have a Schiit Valhalla but I find the Mad Dogs really don't sound very good out of an OTL amp (not surprisingly). The CmoyBB has a second TLE2426 rail splitter,  runs off a walwart and actually gives the MDs better punch at the low end than the Valhalla.

Apr 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #5,346 of 6,388
I just got my Mad Dogs about an hour ago and only took them off briefly to A/B with my Grado 325is'. As much as I enjoyed my Grados over the past year or so, I can see them easily collecting dust for awhile. All of the things I read about the MDs are true - solid bass, heavenly mids, and an interesting treble (not sure how to describe it or how I feel about it). I always test new phones with the songs: Eva B - She Walks Alone, Parliament - Colour Me Funky, and No Doubt - Hella Good. The first for a sparse acoustic blend, the second for 70s funk (bass keyboard and chorus vocals), the last to see how much punch is in the drums. The MDs put a smile on my face with each of these songs. I love the separation of the instruments and the isolation. I want to just close my eyes and drift away. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #5,347 of 6,388
Quote:
All of the things I read about the MDs are true - solid bass, heavenly mids, and an interesting treble (not sure how to describe it or how I feel about it).

Could you describe it as not getting a knife shoved in your ear like a Grado? 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #5,348 of 6,388
I WILL say that putting the DP Mad Dogs on after listening to the SR60i for so long was an interesting experience. The Mad Dogs sounded waaaay too dark, and I was really disappointed, but when the details started to fly out of nowhere and the comfort really set in, I kept them on my head anyway.

A week later, loving my Mad Dogs, I put back on my SR-60i curiously, and oh my lord they were shrill and thin! 

Funnily enough, after listening to the Mad Dogs with the alpha pads, which brought them closer to neutral, switching to the SR-60i is actually enjoyable again. Adaptation at work.

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #5,349 of 6,388
Quote:
I WILL say that putting the DP Mad Dogs on after listening to the SR60i for so long was an interesting experience. The Mad Dogs sounded waaaay too dark, and I was really disappointed, but when the details started to fly out of nowhere and the comfort really set in, I kept them on my head anyway.

A week later, loving my Mad Dogs, I put back on my SR-60i curiously, and oh my lord they were shrill and thin! 

Funnily enough, after listening to the Mad Dogs with the alpha pads, which brought them closer to neutral, switching to the SR-60i is actually enjoyable again. Adaptation at work.

Or nostalgia. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #5,350 of 6,388
I want to the NY meet this past weekend to have Jack Wu help me setup my WA7 with Foobar, and Dan "lured" me to his table to listen to his 'phones. I told him that I had heard them last year and the tone was not to my taste. What I did not tell him was I really didn't like them at all back then. Well I let him sales pitch me and I tried them again. What a huge difference one year of development makes. I had just listened to the Thunderpants not 10 min. before at another table. While there were differences, the sound was on the same (audiophile) level. After a 3 min audition, I bought them on the spot. Yeah, they were that good.

The most impressive feature were the standard Alpha earpads. They are similar to the Stax pad upgrade to the thunderpants. The sound isolation is very good (better WAF), and they are comfortable. I may do a review in a few weeks when they break-in.

I will likely have to get a better cable to extract the most out of them. I did a little comparo to my HE500. Even un-broken in they sounded good and acceptable for most casual listening. No, they did not sound as good as the well broken-in '500s, but they were 90% of the way for the few tracks (Nick Drake & Jeff Beck) I listened to.

They are much better than any $300 'phones I have listened to. Just as a reference, I like most top tier 'phones more than the 'dogs, except Grados. I have never liked any Grado product at any price. Well done, Dan! 

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #5,351 of 6,388
Quote:
I want to the NY meet this past weekend to have Jack Wu help me setup my WA7 with Foobar, and Dan "lured" me to his table to listen to his 'phones. I told him that I had heard them last year and the tone was not to my taste. What I did not tell him was I really didn't like them at all back then. Well I let him sales pitch me and I tried them again. What a huge difference one year of development makes. I had just listened to the Thunderpants not 10 min. before at another table. While there were differences, the sound was on the same (audiophile) level. After a 3 min audition, I bought them on the spot. Yeah, they were that good.

The most impressive feature were the standard Alpha earpads. They are similar to the Stax pad upgrade to the thunderpants. The sound isolation is very good (better WAF), and they are comfortable. I may do a review in a few weeks when they break-in.

I will likely have to get a better cable to extract the most out of them. I did a little comparo to my HE500. Even un-broken in they sounded good and acceptable for most casual listening. No, they did not sound as good as the well broken-in '500s, but they were 90% of the way for the few tracks (Nick Drake & Jeff Beck) I listened to.

They are much better than any $300 'phones I have listened to. Just as a reference, I like most top tier 'phones more than the 'dogs, except Grados. I have never liked any Grado product at any price. Well done, Dan! 

OT I know, but glad to see my own feelings on that issue echoed.
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #5,352 of 6,388
I also was at the NYC meet and was completely surprised to find out how good Mad Dogs with Alpha pads sound comparing to the ones with Dog pads. Everything what i was looking for is finally here. the only reasons I didn't buy one is cause I need to upgrade my portable player to AK100 or it's modified version first plus I felt in love with WA7 so much that I bought one Jack had at the end of the meet.
By the way Mad Dogs and AK100 are made for each other so I would recommend any true music lover as an excellent portable rig.
Great job Dan

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #5,355 of 6,388
Quote:

I did the same thing with my SR60 lately. It'd been my work phone for a long time before the MD came along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back