"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #5,356 of 6,388
I just got some new glasses and I made sure that the arms sit flush with my face so the alpha pads will create a good seal (which they do).  The one thing I didn't think of were the curved part of the arms that go around your ear.  These glass arms stick out far enough past my ear in the back that the back portion of the alpha pads press them into my head causing a very uncomfortable pain after wearing them for an hour or so.  Anyone have any ideas on how to alleviate this problem.  I was thinking of bending the band out a bit, but I am afraid I won't get a good seal and the pain issue will still be there.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #5,357 of 6,388
Quote:
I just got some new glasses and I made sure that the arms sit flush with my face so the alpha pads will create a good seal (which they do).  The one thing I didn't think of were the curved part of the arms that go around your ear.  These glass arms stick out far enough past my ear in the back that the back portion of the alpha pads press them into my head causing a very uncomfortable pain after wearing them for an hour or so.  Anyone have any ideas on how to alleviate this problem.  I was thinking of bending the band out a bit, but I am afraid I won't get a good seal and the pain issue will still be there.

I get this too, though I don't have a pair of MD (yet).  I do have Alpha pads on my HiFiMans, and I just have to adjust my glasses temple tips up a little so they aren't putting as much pressure on the back of the temporal bone behind your ear...that's the best you can do really.  The band on the MD is reportedly pretty flexible, so you could try bending it out, and if that doesn't work you should be able to bend it back easily.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #5,358 of 6,388
Quote:
I get this too, though I don't have a pair of MD (yet).  I do have Alpha pads on my HiFiMans, and I just have to adjust my glasses temple tips up a little so they aren't putting as much pressure on the back of the temporal bone behind your ear...that's the best you can do really.  The band on the MD is reportedly pretty flexible, so you could try bending it out, and if that doesn't work you should be able to bend it back easily.

Could you post some impression on the HE-400 w/ Alpha Pads? Especially the effect on the voicing (treble spike? Who said treble spike? :D)

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5,359 of 6,388
Quote:

Unfortunately I have a bad astigmatism so any tipping of my glasses up or down causes my vision to go out of focus.  I recon I'll have to try the bending method and if that doesn't work then my life is doomed, doomed I say.  There is no point in living, no point in breathing, no point in loving.  Life has no purpose without my MD
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #5,360 of 6,388
Quote:

Could you describe it as not getting a knife shoved in your ear like a Grado? 

It could be described as the difference between being in a nice warm jacuzzi with the jets massaging your back, and then being tossed in an ice cold pond.
I kid, I kid.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #5,361 of 6,388
Dan,

Since you test every pair of Mad Dogs that you build and ship, is it possible to put a printed copy of the frequency response plot for each pair into the box that it ships in?  I had a car amplifier back in the early 90's that did something similar with their specifications, and it just seemed geekishly (don't look it up, it ain't there) cool back then.  I'd love to have a personalized spec sheet on some heavy stock paper.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #5,362 of 6,388
Quote:
I just got some new glasses and I made sure that the arms sit flush with my face so the alpha pads will create a good seal (which they do). 

with your glasses sitting flush to your face, be prepared to have indentation on the side of your head and also a tan mark.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5,363 of 6,388
Quote:

Could you post some impression on the HE-400 w/ Alpha Pads? Especially the effect on the voicing (treble spike? Who said treble spike? :D)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/9465#post_9329728

AyeVeeN posted his impression compared to the velours 2.5 weeks ago above, and I also had an early impression when I first got them below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/9645#post_9345792

I've not taken the time to do an extensive A/B comparison yet, but I will add that I've enjoyed them the most so far coming from j$ Beyer pads and stock pleathers before that (I can't speak for velours yet as I've not tried them).  They are very comfortable, and further ensure the purchase of Mad Dogs in the near future.  I have to agree with AyeVeeN, except I wouldn't say I've noticed any muddiness or negative impact on the lower FR.  If time permits this weekend, I may get a chance to try multiple pads out, but I have a feeling that I'll still prefer the Alpha pads over the others.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5,364 of 6,388

I may have asked this, but how do I get Alpha Pads to fit on HiFiMans?

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #5,365 of 6,388
I believe that you'd take the retaining ring off a pair of current HFM pads and use them to mount the Alpha pads. Then just pop them in place as normal. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #5,366 of 6,388
Quote:
I believe that you'd take the retaining ring off a pair of current HFM pads and use them to mount the Alpha pads. Then just pop them in place as normal. 

Does anyone have any insight as to how the HE-500 sound with Alpha Pads?  I don't mean to derail the thread.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #5,367 of 6,388
Quote:
Does anyone have any insight as to how the HE-500 sound with Alpha Pads?  I don't mean to derail the thread.

I don't think they've been tried yet on a HE-500, but as far as fitment goes you would just use the HiFiMan mounting ring from another pad.  They do take a little bit of effort to get on because there is more material on the outer side, though.

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #5,369 of 6,388
just chiming in that i got my md's even though i barely ordered them sunday night. didnt even expect them since i didnt get a tracking email. no time to build excitement lol.

though i dont believe in any hardcore burn in im gonna play some pink noise for a little before listening since this thread has said over and over to give em some time.

thanks for the quick ship and pm responses Dan! the mds look way better in person than the pics ive seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back