"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #3,811 of 6,388
What's wrong with a little hernia for the sake of audiophilia? 
size]

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3,812 of 6,388
Hernia? Psssshhh, just lay down put on your headphone and plug into that heavy amp and your good until help comes. :cool:

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,813 of 6,388
The eventual dullness of a wound makes your hearing more acute
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #3,816 of 6,388
Quote:

Cough, cough M3 in a suitcase with big-arsed batteries, cough, cough....

Hey hey... I haven't actually built that yet 
size]
 And y'know... if I get enough batteries I could fit a b22 in there... 

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3,817 of 6,388
I use an AMB M^3 with power unit with the Mad Dogs @ work. Good combination.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #3,818 of 6,388
Has anyone tried these with an inexpensive tube amp like the Bravo? I'm intrigued with these things. The price is definitely right, at about $70, and from what I read the sound isn't too bad. Plus I can geek out a bit if I want to by trying different tubes. I'm very close to getting one of these but I'm interested in hearing any feedback on how the Mad Dogs do with these types of amps.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #3,820 of 6,388
Quote:

I think that you must be referring to the MD's with dog pads. If you have not heard the new version with Alpha pads, they sound quite a bit different.  Just guessing here...

I have both.

The Alpha Pads shifted the tonal balance to the high frequencies, which is the good direction (for me, at least).
It's still not quite enough for me, I still have to play with EQ (which is fine!) to make them sound the way I like.

The Fostex HP-A3 is also warm and smooth so it doesn't help. An O2 + ODAC might be a better choice (or the Aune T1 with bright tube). This might be a downgrade, though.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #3,821 of 6,388
Quote:

I have both.

The Alpha Pads shifted the tonal balance to the high frequencies, which is the good direction (for me, at least).
It's still not quite enough for me, I still have to play with EQ (which is fine!) to make them sound the way I like.

The Fostex HP-A3 is also warm and smooth so it doesn't help. An O2 + ODAC might be a better choice (or the Aune T1 with bright tube). This might be a downgrade, though.

That's good to hear, I just got n odac. Which has nice high balance shift as well. It made my dt 880 brighter, in addition I have n indeed G3 [bravo style tube] and a MIllet Hybrid with RCA 12ua7s [a bright smooth mid heavy tube imo] so I'm very excited! Although sadly my dt 990s are coming in b4 my EXPRESS SHIPPED Mad Dogs lol so if the mad dogs r darker, 'll love it after the bright 990

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #3,822 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah this is my one quip with Dogs. I'm forced to wear my glasses like so lol...

I have very similar glasses (the temple arms and tips are likely exactly the same since they are also RayBan) and I can wear them with my HE-400 fairly comfortably for a few hours.  They have some grip, but not like the death grip my former pair of DT1350's had, which is the main reason they are former.  I did some adjustments to the headband of the HE-400 so I imagine something similar can be done with the MadDogs if necessary.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,823 of 6,388
I actually have a thinner pair of glasses that I wear at home that have never given me trouble with headphones...

I didn't get them to wear with headphones (though this being Head Fi, I'm sure no one would bat an eye if I did), just got them because I'm pretty rough on glasses when I'm at home. I'll fall asleep with them, I'll scrape the corners poking under the desk or into closets, etc.

Got tired of bending and scratching the frame of the nice Oakley frames I wear outside so I got a thin frame that's more spindly and durable (one of those Flexons) so I can beat on them without care. It also provides a nice break from the 3-point Oakleys which grip tighter.

Just worked out that they play nicer with headphones too... My medical covers most of the cost a new pair of glasses every other year anyway.

So yeah, dunno if it's weird but that's how I roll. :p

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #3,824 of 6,388
The glasses I wear are very similar in thickness.  The only issue I have is if I don't slightly slide my glasses down my nose and I put on my MD I can feel the plastic nose pads dig into my nose.  With me sliding them down they are lose enough that they slightly float above my nose when putting on the MD's.  Sound quality wise, I can't tell a difference with my glasses on or off.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3,825 of 6,388
For those concerned about my picture/post, don't be!

My face is on the narrow side and I like to wear big oversized frames. And even with that said, my Alpha Dogs fit comfortably with my glasses on. However, after a really long listening session, a pressure point might develop near my temples if I don't readjust the glasses. Note that I don't wear my glasses religiously because the prescription is very slight— only for reading sometimes when I feel like my eyes are strained. 

The majority of you will be completely okay wearing glasses with MDs, So don't hesitate because of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back