"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #3,826 of 6,388
Quote:
I also was at the meet, and had my mad dogs with alpha pads with me (I was part of the test group, so I had them at the time).  I was able to compare pretty close to A/B, and had the same basic esperience.  HE500 is a great and capable headphone, but much brighter and a bit airier than the MD.  In the short time listening, I liked the MD a bit better I suspect as much because I was used to it as anything.  I also decided I'd like to spend a bit more time with the HE500 to see if I want a pair.  Right now, the HD650 is in the top seat of desired open headphones (above the HD800 for my tastes).

I'd think that if you like the Mad Dogs, the next logical update should be the LCD-2.

To me, the LCD-2 had more presence and weight (to the music) than the HE-500. Plus it retains the same smooth treble and improves a bit on soundstage + bass compared to Mad Dogs.

Funny... but I honestly can't shake how similar the Mad Dogs sounded to the LCD-2.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #3,827 of 6,388
hehe all of you with glasses why not just use contacts or take laser? Ive used contatcs for 15 years now, hate the feel of glasses. In the evenings(sometimes) when I do actually have glasses on im to picky with the feel to use headphones. Funny thing when my package get to norway it will be stopped at declaring for 1-2weeks due to them being lazy. Mad Dog where are you?

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,828 of 6,388
Quote:
hehe all of you with glasses why not just use contacts or take laser? Ive used contatcs for 15 years now, hate the feel of glasses. In the evenings(sometimes) when I do actually have glasses on im to picky with the feel to use headphones. Funny thing when my package get to norway it will be stopped at declaring for 1-2weeks due to them being lazy. Mad Dog where are you?

Laser surgery one day perhaps, but I have seasonal allergies where I currently live so contacts are a no-go most of the year.  Also, it makes me look smarter....right??  
cool.gif
  I've not had a full size headphone be uncomfortable yet in this regard, but I have had some super-aural sets apply too much pressure on my temples.  The new Alpha Pads seem pretty comfortable so really no worries here - I don't think I can be dissuaded at this point, anyway!

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3,829 of 6,388
Quote:

I'd think that if you like the Mad Dogs, the next logical update should be the LCD-2.

To me, the LCD-2 had more presence and weight (to the music) than the HE-500. Plus it retains the same smooth treble and improves a bit on soundstage + bass compared to Mad Dogs.

Funny... but I honestly can't shake how similar the Mad Dogs sounded to the LCD-2.

It's an easy one for me - Mad Dogs are quite similar to LCD2.  Too similar for me to feel the need to upgrade to them at the price multiple of the LCD2's over the MD's.  HD650's are a kissing cousin to the Mad Dogs, can be had used at or under $300-ish on occasion, and are a nice, open headphone alternative to the closed Mad Dogs.  I've also always liked the HD650 sound signature.  I'd like to have a pair (or possibly the HD600 - I have never heard them though) for classical and the like, that do a bit better with an open can.

That said - if I was more able to use open cans than I am, the LCD2 would be a nice upgrade from the Mad Dogs, though diminishing returns really hits hard on that price/value comparison.  The LCD2's are arguably superior, but they are open, and I think more than 3x the price.

The HE6 and HE5LE, and the HE500 all got my attention as well.  Lots of cool open options out there.  I really wish I'd paid more attention and gotten a listen to the TH900, Ed-8 and the AT W3000 Aniv, or whatever it was.  By all accounts, I missed 3 very special closed headphones.

EDIT - I forgot to add that I spent a few minutes @ the Eddie Current table, and A/B'd the balanced LCD2 against my single ended Mad Dogs on that little balanced kit amp.  They really, really sound similar.  Very similar.  I expected a more expansive sound stage from the LCD2, but it really was not, at least to my ears.

I also listened to my pair and all 3 of Mr. Speaker's pairs of MD's.  They are very consistent.  I could not detect a variation in sound across all 4 pairs.  That really set me at ease knowing that one gets a consistent product when one orders the MD's.

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,832 of 6,388
Quote:
It says on Dan's website that they are 50 Ohms...This maybe too low? Why have they been described as hard to drive and power hungry on this thread I wonder? Help....gulp!
confused_face_2.gif

There orthos, they need current. Also, just got my Mad Dogs, jeez, glad my AKG K167 are out of the way. These sound amazing. Thanks, Mrspeakers!

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #3,834 of 6,388
Ok, this is seriously sounding AMAZING. I'll see how it contests to my DT880's when I get them. As to my AKG K167, the Mad Dogs took an assault rifle, shot it 50 times in the left earcup, then got a tank, and shot 40 missles at the right earcup, then dropped a nuke on the headband. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,835 of 6,388
Just for clarification:

Is Fostex the same Fostex that makes the TH-900 / TH-600 and the T50RPs?   Are the T50RPs still in production by this same "Fostex"?  Are there any similarities in the sound?

Mad Dogs vs. TH-600??

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3,836 of 6,388
Quote:
Just for clarification:

Is Fostex the same Fostex that makes the TH-900 / TH-600 and the T50RPs?   Are the T50RPs still in production by this same "Fostex"?  Are there any similarities in the sound?

Mad Dogs vs. TH-600??

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No clue.
4. No clue.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3,839 of 6,388
Oh my dog...

It's the very first time I truly enjoy my NFB-27. Upgrading the HE-4 with Alpha Pads gives me the same wow moment than when I first moved from these (stock) to the HE-500!

Darryl, I think I now get what you mean when you say the 4s are very detailed cans with great separation...

The stock velour pads just don't give me a good seal (small head so there's a gap around my jaw with flat & rigid pads).

I might reconsider selling my NFB-27! So far, the most balanced and natural voicing I've ever heard, period.

I need to figure out a way to attach them to the cups though. The dog pads fit, the flap on the alpha's too big.

Bottom line:the Alpha Pads are the real deal! For small heads at least :p

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,840 of 6,388
Quote:
It's an easy one for me - Mad Dogs are quite similar to LCD2.  Too similar for me to feel the need to upgrade to them at the price multiple of the LCD2's over the MD's.  HD650's are a kissing cousin to the Mad Dogs, can be had used at or under $300-ish on occasion, and are a nice, open headphone alternative to the closed Mad Dogs.  I've also always liked the HD650 sound signature.  I'd like to have a pair (or possibly the HD600 - I have never heard them though) for classical and the like, that do a bit better with an open can.

That said - if I was more able to use open cans than I am, the LCD2 would be a nice upgrade from the Mad Dogs, though diminishing returns really hits hard on that price/value comparison.  The LCD2's are arguably superior, but they are open, and I think more than 3x the price.

The HE6 and HE5LE, and the HE500 all got my attention as well.  Lots of cool open options out there.  I really wish I'd paid more attention and gotten a listen to the TH900, Ed-8 and the AT W3000 Aniv, or whatever it was.  By all accounts, I missed 3 very special closed headphones.

EDIT - I forgot to add that I spent a few minutes @ the Eddie Current table, and A/B'd the balanced LCD2 against my single ended Mad Dogs on that little balanced kit amp.  They really, really sound similar.  Very similar.  I expected a more expansive sound stage from the LCD2, but it really was not, at least to my ears.

I also listened to my pair and all 3 of Mr. Speaker's pairs of MD's.  They are very consistent.  I could not detect a variation in sound across all 4 pairs.  That really set me at ease knowing that one gets a consistent product when one orders the MD's.

The Ed 8 wasn't all that special IMO. Maybe it's me... but they sounded quite grainy at higher volume. Like something was clipping inside.

But yeah, what a pity. You missed the TH900 and W3000ANV. I'd say that if you don't want to spend your money on the LCD-2, then either of those 2 would be worthy upgrades.

By the way, there was an HD 600 at the meet as well. They sounded very much like the 650. Just slightly less warm, and with (markedly) less bass impact.

All this talk is making me seriously consider purchasing a pair of Mad Dogs now... Paycheck just came in as well...

I don't particularly care for more bass now, to be honest. The ES10 has shown me how much less of a basshead I am. But I certainly can appreciate a pair of cans that gives me more midrange presence than the ES10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back