"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2,581 of 6,388
Quote:
Any general comparisons between Mad Dogs and V-Moda M-100 or Sony MDR-1R?

Can't speak on the vmoda, but the 1R's are tossed away by the mad dogs. The MDR1R seemed consumerish. There was a lot of sloppy bass, really good looking, and a thin sounding mid range and rolled off treble. The MD have a similar sound in terms of a bit of a bass bump, but are still well rounded and neutral. Mids are transparent and highs are clear. I'd easily pick the MD, but they aren't as portable and probably don't seal as well. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,582 of 6,388
Quote:

Can't speak on the vmoda, but the 1R's are tossed away by the mad dogs. The MDR1R seemed consumerish. There was a lot of sloppy bass, really good looking, and a thin sounding mid range and rolled off treble. The MD have a similar sound in terms of a bit of a bass bump, but are still well rounded and neutral. Mids are transparent and highs are clear. I'd easily pick the MD, but they aren't as portable and probably don't seal as well. 

This sounds nothing like MDR-1R I know, except good looking part.
smile.gif

Did you own them for considerable amount of time or just auditioned shortly?

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,583 of 6,388
Jan 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,586 of 6,388
[size=10pt]A camcorder case is a cheap alternative. They have stacks of compartments to store your MD's + a portable amp, leads and other personal affects.[/size]

[size=10pt]http://www.caselogic.com/en-US/US/Products/Camera-Cases/View-All/CPL_-_106_-_BLACK_-__-_DSLRCameraShoulderBagMedium#[/size]

[size=10pt]Edit: Disregard this specific link, I checked the internal dimensions and MD’s won’t fit… but you get the idea.[/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt] [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt] [/size][/size]

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,588 of 6,388
Hey, I was wondering if anyone with a good knowledge of the interplay between amp "stats" and the md's could give me an opinion about how well they should be working?

Quote:
Input Impedance: 47k
Output Impedance: 32-300 Ohm
Output at 32 Ohm: 3 v, 320 mw
Output at 150 Ohm: 6.2 v, 256
Frequency: 20-20khz +/- 0.2db
S/N: 95db
DAC Chip: Burr-Brown PCM2702
Tube: China 6J1 * 2 pcs
Input Voltage: 16 v to 18 v; 500 mA
Power Supply: 110 v or 220 v
Size: 14cm*8.5cm* 4.5cm or 5.6"* 3.4" * 1.8"

That's from my Hifiman EF2A. I just received my MD's yesterday from a fellow forum goer, but...they don't sound all that great to me.
basshead.gif
Actually, I think I like my DT770's (80ohm) more. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I've just developed a...taste for the sound of the 770's, but after seeing people compare the mad dogs to such high quality can's, it makes me think something must be wrong in my setup; and obviously, after reading through this thread more and more, I think it might be the amp.
wink.gif
This close to buying gifts for Christmas, the MD's gave my piggy bank a pretty good shake down, but I'm thinking about adding in a Schiit Magni after funding becomes available. Would it be a worthwhile step up?

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #2,590 of 6,388
Quote:

I got to listen to my friends pair. The wording on bass isn't worded correctly. I thought the bass was pretty sloppy overall, not that there was a lot of it. 

I noticed a great variance in bass quality moving from amp to amp .... even just changing tubes in the Lyr.  May I suggest the pair you heard had a problem further back in the sound chain ....  (source material, dac, amp, etc)

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #2,591 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone with a good knowledge of the interplay between amp "stats" and the md's could give me an opinion about how well they should be working?

That's from my Hifiman EF2A. I just received my MD's yesterday from a fellow forum goer, but...they don't sound all that great to me.
basshead.gif
Actually, I think I like my DT770's (80ohm) more. Maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I've just developed a...taste for the sound of the 770's, but after seeing people compare the mad dogs to such high quality can's, it makes me think something must be wrong in my setup; and obviously, after reading through this thread more and more, I think it might be the amp.
wink.gif
This close to buying gifts for Christmas, the MD's gave my piggy bank a pretty good shake down, but I'm thinking about adding in a Schiit Magni after funding becomes available. Would it be a worthwhile step up?

It depends on what you're using to amp with now. I would guess not much if anything. If so, then yes the new little schitt stack would make quite a difference and would also be nice for your Beyer's. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #2,592 of 6,388
Quote:

Quote:
This sounds nothing like MDR-1R I know, except good looking part.
smile.gif

Did you own them for considerable amount of time or just auditioned shortly?

I second Andrew_WOT

I have both (though the mdr 1r's are still receiving burn in). Out of say the o2/odac both sound like very good headphones- that's what my listen over the weekend taught me. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #2,594 of 6,388
Quote:

basshead.gif
wink.gif

I cycled between some DT770's (600ohm), HE-500's and the MD's with dog pads on a Schiit Magni (which should have the oomph for the dogs, at least, so says Schiit) and found the MDs to easily be my least favorite (although most comfortable). The MDs have more detail and flatter response than the Beyers, but just don't have any punch and are the least natural sounding to me. Ultimately "natural" is what I'm looking for regardless of how else they might otherwise outperform higher end cans. (IMHO - YMMV)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back