M9, PL21/30 or PortaPro? What do you think?
May 26, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lorafenik

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I'm looking for some portable HP, mostly for bus travels, sometimes maybe also for running.

I'd like to have rather fun presentation, with good quality/quanity bass (I don't consider my MS1 on the bassy side, also they have little subbass for my taste), warm but detailed mids and present (unlike in eg. EP630), smooth, non piercing highs.

I've never heard big  sound stage  in HPs so if they had such, it would be a nice treat, but it's not necessary.

I'd rather have better isolation, but I've heard so much good about PortaPro, and they're 2/3 of the price of M9, so I put them under consideration.

I know I won't get everything in a cheap HPs, but I'd rather take better choice :)

There are not much genres I don't listen to, but when I travel I usually listen to energetic music (The Qemists, Dillinger Escape Plan, sometimes electronic things).

The prices look like this:

MEElectronics M9 - 99PLN

SoundMAGIC PL21 - 85PLN

SoundMAGIC PL30 - 95PLN

Koss PortaPro - 69PLN

also I'm looking at an auction with used Philips SHE 9850 (without foams). Looking at the prices above, how much do you think it's wise to spend on them?

Thanks in advance

May 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 10
I vote for the pl 30 ,i've heard the portapros ,really didnt like the cheap airplane pad kinda feeling and the treble seems not to sparkle and i feel is not sharp enough ,mids are quite strong and forward ,bass i find a little overwhelming at times.O btw if you have long hair these are not the right phones cause the little adjusting bit gets you hair trapped and is painful as hell.

The pl 30 have just the right bass impact ,mids are forward ,overall is quite balanced phones and is real comfortable they come with tons of tips ,i wear them to sleep they are that comfy :p and aparrantly i rembered somewhere someone said these are comparable to se420

May 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Thaks
bumptation for 1st page and what better suits me: M9/PL21/PL30?

May 27, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Ok, so it's going to be M9 :)
Unless SHE 9850 settle on "normal" price

May 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 10
You can buy from their website:
http://www.meelec.com/category_s/244.htm (about 6$ shipping).
I'm buying from vendor on sth like Polish version of ebay.

May 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks! Btw, since you've already decided, may I ask about the Hippo Pearl? I heard they're pretty good. They cost about 30€, from what I've seen.

PL21/30 cost +/- 20€

Is it worth the extra money?

May 27, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 10
I saw this deal, but was waiting for someone to give feedback on the price in another thread. Apparently there are no fake SoundMagics PL21/MP21, so $17 sounds like a good deal:
http://www.focalprice.com/EP222B/MP21_Inear_Headphones_with_Mic_Black.html

I got the M9Ps for my girlfriend. They are very well constructed and have good bass response/more open than my cx300s, but...I find them to sound quite busy and fatiguing on complex songs. I've heard the PL21/MP21s are supposed to be a little more laid back at the high end and hopefully easier to listen to at moderate volume for long periods of time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back