M50s overrated?
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #556 of 991
I think it is wise when reading reviews to look at who the review is from and what their experience / background is....

If it is one of these "this is my first pair of good headphones" M50 reviews (of which there are loads) then obviously it is going to be saying how amazing they are because compared to cheapo ones they are.... But anyone who has tried better headphones costing similar price / slightly more will mostly say they are not THAT great... I would say that yes they are overhyped... For the reasons above.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #557 of 991
Naturally people who have already found what they believe are better headphones will be less inclined to sing their praises, but I've read quite a few very positive impressions of them by people with loads of experience with a wide range of headphones. Ultimately, it depends on what sort of sound signature you prefer, which is a purely subjective matter.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #558 of 991
Quote:
improvement ....in just about every way, except comfort. 

If they clamp too much, a day or two over a book or tissue box will loosen them up nicely.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #559 of 991
A lot of people seem to be saying that there are much better headphones for the same price or for a bit more. What would you guys recommend as a step up from the m50s for a similar price or a little more (around 50$ more)? Also would these headphones be easy to drive or would they need an amp. I realised that a lot of people looking to buy the m50s will look at this thread and a couple of better alternatives to the m50s would prove helpful. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #560 of 991
Nobody can definitively tell you which headphones in or around its price range are going to sound better to your ears. Some will have a different sound signature which will appeal to different people depending on their preferences. At best, you'll have more options to consider and research, and hopefully you already have some idea what sort of sound you're looking for. Consider the source you'll be using, as well as the type(s) of music you listen to, before you make a decision. It's always a roll of the dice unless you can audition before you make a purchase.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #561 of 991
Quote:
Nobody can definitively tell you which headphones in or around its price range are going to sound better to your ears. ......It's always a roll of the dice unless you can audition before you make a purchase.

+1.  Read enough threads and you'll see opposite opinions on just about every HP. There are people here who clearly spend a lot of time in thoughtful analysis. I tend to follow their recommendations when I can't audition. Also (as is the case with the M50) if a large majority endorses a HP, chances are it is good. But doublea71 is right...we all hear things differently. One person's "crisp, detailed and bright" is another person's "harsh and irritating."

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #562 of 991
Quote:
I think it is wise when reading reviews to look at who the review is from and what their experience / background is....

If it is one of these "this is my first pair of good headphones" M50 reviews (of which there are loads) then obviously it is going to be saying how amazing they are because compared to cheapo ones they are.... But anyone who has tried better headphones costing similar price / slightly more will mostly say they are not THAT great... I would say that yes they are overhyped... For the reasons above.

This is usually the case and the only pair i own is the M50's for now. Price is tough to beat if you find them at the right amount

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #563 of 991
Quote:
A lot of people seem to be saying that there are much better headphones for the same price or for a bit more. What would you guys recommend as a step up from the m50s for a similar price or a little more (around 50$ more)? Also would these headphones be easy to drive or would they need an amp. I realised that a lot of people looking to buy the m50s will look at this thread and a couple of better alternatives to the m50s would prove helpful. 

Most who buy them are nickle diming so to speak, so they got that part right. M50's dont need an amp to be loud either

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #564 of 991
Quote:
But anyone who has tried better headphones costing similar price / slightly more will mostly say they are not THAT great... I would say that yes they are overhyped... For the reasons above.

Hmm, but the venerable Joker, who has heard headphones in a multitude of price ranges, gave the M50 quite a good score in his review.   Not everyone who recommends them is noob.  

They might not be the best headphones in the world, but nobody is making this claim.  It is  a good and affordable closed can which is durable and isolates rather well...no more, no less.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #565 of 991
Quote:

Hmm, but the venerable Joker, who has heard headphones in a multitude of price ranges, gave the M50 quite a good score in his review.   Not everyone who recommends them is noob.  

They might not be the best headphones in the world, but nobody is making this claim.  It is  a good and affordable closed can which is durable and isolates rather well...no more, no less.

Anybody who doesn't like them can claim that they are overrated, but scores of people do like them and are quite happy with them. I don't understand why some people feel the need to convince other people that their opinion is somehow invalid. It's as if they believe they are the center of the universe or something.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #567 of 991
Quote:

Yes joker is an experienced reviewer and his threads are very usefull but also he may prefer a certain sound signature which others may not like. eg. bright and analytical sound.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #568 of 991
... And there are headphones that measure poor and headphones that have amazingly low distortion levels and steep waterfall plots along with a flat FR. Bringing the latter to the table versus a generally liked Beats/Bose/etc., one would most certainly hold the right to claim victory over such a debate. To all the extreme relativists: Yes, you are allowed to enjoy poor headphones. You just have to deal with the fact that such headphones are universally speaking poor, especially when you bring the discussion to this forum. Not saying the M50's are the worst or follow this example.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #569 of 991
I'd like to see some people do a blind headphone test in which they test a headphone (with a blindfold, naturally, just to keep things honest) and then match what they heard with the correct unlabelled waterfall plot. I think absolutely nobody would be very good at this, but I could be wrong.

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #570 of 991
I don't think any would be able to give you an accurate reading based on just what they're hearing. I can tell right away if there's unwanted bass resonance or if it's just slow. That's something to which I'm more sensitive. The ringing mafia however, focus on the the linearity, smoothness and quickness of the treble response, which in absolute is not as crucial to me. I can hear the difference and appreciate it though. Not sure if I'd be able to do so a priori, I'll give you that.

Certain aspects in the music itself become very distinct with fast headphones. Things that are either there or not; not a matter of taste. Not the case with modern electronic music however. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back