M50s overrated?
Aug 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #571 of 991
For M50 price range, Brainwavz HM5(or Fisher Audio 003) is just one unbeatable phone.
I owned both and I can clearly say HM5 is a 'better' headphone.

I am not sure which model but I do know there is even cheaper OEM version of Fisher Audio 003. Around $100 range. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #572 of 991
Quote:
For M50 price range, Brainwavz HM5(or Fisher Audio 003) is just one unbeatable phone.

I am not sure which model but I do know there is even cheaper OEM version of Fisher Audio 003. Around $100 range. 

surprising. i really didnt like the Fisher Audio 003 when i tried it at the shop while i liked the M50 better o.o sorry can't remember why though, i did this comparision a long time ago and my memory is bad.

guess opposing thoughts really can be inflicted onto any headphone

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #573 of 991
Just to highlight that I own ATH M50 and  Cityscape Uptown and there is no way that Uptowns can compare to ATH M50s. They lack in clarity and definition in all of the sound spectrum, especially in bass - that gets very easily distorted and highs sound like a "tin" - at least to mine and my teenage kids ears. Even ATH WS55 that I have, blow Uptowns out of the water. In my humble opinion ATH M50 are definitely one of the best sounding headphones around. Another thing, they are very forgiving to a lower bit rates of WMA, MP3 files, unlike Uptowns- they sound awful on anything bellow 320Kps ( I use Cowon S9, J3 and X7 players exclusively ).

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #574 of 991
I would say that the M50 is definitely not an overrated can. There are many headphones from UltraSone, Sennheiser, and other top brands which cost more but don't provide an equivalent sound quality. They are certainly the best "bang-for-buck" purchase you can make. I haven't heard a better headphone for the same price, anywhere.

However, the M50 IS a "wow" can, meaning that it makes your jaw drop the first time you listen if you're coming from consumer-grade headphones like Bose or *shudders* Monster. This 'wow' effect begins to wear off as you continue listening to them. It becomes less "fun" to listen to music over time, if you know what I'm saying. Other headphones, such as the DT1350, do the opposite. They don't jump out at you and wow you to begin with. Instead, they slowly reveal themselves to you and, over time, make you long for every chance to listen to them.

I can say that I have owned the M50s for quite some time, possibly 1-1.5 years now, and I listened to them almost exclusively for that time period. Now that I know them so well, I'm left longing for something better, or at least something different. It became boring.

By sheer luck, I happened to find an old vintage set of headphones on Etsy. I ordered them because they are a beautiful set of headphones. I expected them to sound terrible, so I thought they'd make me 'remember' how good the M50s were. They actually did the exact opposite. They turned out to be an extremely fun headphone, with an almost natural frequency response. I haven't listened to the M50s for anything but comparison since I got these headphones, and when I did listen to them, I realized that most negative claims about them were true.

In a sense, the M50s turned me into an audiophile. At first I thought they showed me everything I was missing. Then over time I realized that the M50s are just the tip of the iceberg. I spent $20 on an ancient AKG K-240 knockoff and now I like them more than the M50s.

So, if you want to become an audiophile, I'd say that the M50s are a great choice.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #575 of 991
I really can't understand the how this can is overrated, its THE best purchase for people looking for something portable while having that nice full sized musical sound. Swivel cups just lie on your neck nicely when you are out and about, hell, I think I'm actually regretting selling them to fund my Triple Fi 10s.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #576 of 991
I like them.

The M50s weren't my 'first' headphones either (K240 -> K701 -> SR325i -> M50 -> HD598). Anyway, I think that they sound great. At first I was skeptical, and wanted to return them, but I can tell you that now (after about a year), I'm very satisfied. They're certainly not as good the more expensive headphones listed, and I suppose the hype that makes it seem like it does, does make it justify the accusations of 'overrated'. 

But I really don't see what the big deal is about. I understand that some don't like the sound signature, but they're not as awful as others insist. I wonder if it's because they're popular that they get hate. Nah, people can't be that shallow and pretentious, can they? 

Either way, I'm sure people have their reasons. At the end of the day if you like it, and you think it's worth your money, go ahead. Don't let someone else's opinions ruin it for you.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #577 of 991
No, I don't think they are "overrated", I just think some people make them seem better than they really are. Don't get me wrong, I own a pair and I love them. There are headphones in the same price range that are better like the ultrasone hifi 580. I own both of these cans and the ultrasone beats out the m50 in almost every aspect (yes even bass lol). The m50s are a great set of headphones but they are not overrated.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #579 of 991
They are indeed popular and regarded as one of the best gateway drugs into hi-fi even though they aren't a top-tier product. Those who like them will tend to not think they are overrated and vice versa. Histrionics have been on full display over these headphones, so it makes for fun reading. Carry on.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #584 of 991
Quote:

+1
I had the M50 for more than a year, but the 003 sounds better for me(!) in most aspects...except for the built quality, but not by much...

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #585 of 991
I purchased some of these today to try and come to my own conclusion of whether they are good or not....

My initial impressions are :

Bass - Quantity is very good although it is a bit monotone with not a huge amount of texture or detail, not terrible but not amazing.

Mids - These are quite recessed and nowhere near as good as my HD650

Treble - Quite good and pretty realistic decay etc. Just a bit metallic sounding and sharp and not as detailed as the HD650.

Overall I would say they are pretty good but once again I find my self going back to the HD650... Although the HD650 are a tad boring and lack sub bass the sound quality is just so much better. The only closed phones which have been comparable were the Denons although they hurt my ears... It seems that open headphones just sound plain better than closed ones for everything except bass depth and impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back