M50s overrated?
Aug 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #542 of 991
Quote:
Hmmm maybe I should give the DT770/80 a try then as they are supposed to be the smoothest of all the Beyers.... Would you say they are still bright compared to something like Denon D2000 or HD650?

Haven't heard either of those headphones. I wouldn't describe the DT770 80ohm as bright, compared to most headphones I've heard (Q701, SRH940/840, M50, any Grado). If anything the treble is a bit rolled off. I'd definitely describe the 250ohm as bright though.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #543 of 991
Are the Beyer DT770 less bright / harsh compared to the M50?

I wouldn't say either, the DT770 or the M50 are sibilant or harsh... To my ears at least.

I felt compelled to try the M50 and bought a set yesterday. Found it to be kind of fatiguing but it had nothing to do with the high end. It just sounded sloppy, and lacking depth. Got kind of tiring after a while.

It also felt very uncomfortable on my head and ears.

Overall it was kind of a letdown.

On the other hand, I could listen to music on my DT770 all day. A much better listening experience... even right out of the box.

The M50 is going back, sorry to say.

Again... YMMV / etc.

EDIT:

I will say this for the M50: it is very well-built. Looks like it can take a beating. The swiveling / foldable ear cups make it lot more portable than the DT770, which is a pain to carry around.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #544 of 991
I agree that the m50s are initially quite disappointing. They sounded a bit harsh and not as clear as i hoped right out of the box. After almost 100 hours of burn in, they have improved drastically. I never believed in the whole burn in thing but honestly, the m50 sound much better now than when they were initially unpacked. Right now i am very pleased with them and hope they continue to improve. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #545 of 991
Quote:
I agree that the m50s are initially quite disappointing. They sounded a bit harsh and not as clear as i hoped right out of the box. After almost 100 hours of burn in, they have improved drastically. I never believed in the whole burn in thing but honestly, the m50 sound much better now than when they were initially unpacked. Right now i am very pleased with them and hope they continue to improve. 

exactly what Danon14 said.
Fresh out of the box the phones sound a lil dull but after burning in ( well for me anyways) the phones really picked up a punch

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #546 of 991

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #547 of 991
Quote:
I agree that the m50s are initially quite disappointing.

Mine disappointed me no matter how many hours of use they had.

I think the M50 is a little overrated, but I don't think it is a bad headphone.  I think it is a good $150 headphone (when they sold them for $100 they were a bargain). 

They just didn't have the sound signature I like.  I don't think there is a headphone that has a sound signature that will make 100% of the people on this site happy.   

It's just funny to see just how much some people hate them.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #548 of 991
exactly what Danon14 said.

Fresh out of the box the phones sound a lil dull but after burning in ( well for me anyways) the phones really picked up a punch

Maybe, but first experiences are also important. They determine whether i'll want to actually take the headphone through the break-in period or not.

In this case, I'll have to pass.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #549 of 991
Quote:

Mine disappointed me no matter how many hours of use they had.

I think the M50 is a little overrated, but I don't think it is a bad headphone.  I think it is a good $150 headphone (when they sold them for $100 they were a bargain). 

They just didn't have the sound signature I like.  I don't think there is a headphone that has a sound signature that will make 100% of the people on this site happy.   

It's just funny to see just how much some people hate them.

beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #552 of 991
here's a new member opinion about ATH-M50

2 weeks ago, i tend to buy a new pair of headphone (my first hi-quality headphone, before i got ipod/sony/panasonis cheap earbuds and cheap clarion stereo headphone, better than former earbuds). my budget was $100-$140 (Rp.1.000.000-1.350.000 (indonesian rupiahs). the seller was a nice person, he let me try some phone and let me choose which one suit my ear better. here the list : (i've been searching some info and read this site before i go to a store)
1. ATH-TAD 500 (new out of the box, unburned)
2. Grado SR80i
3. Shure 440
4. Goldring DR 150
5. ATH-M50

vocal/mid
i like the vocal most on SR80i and shure440 (a bit different but liked booth), TAD-500 got similar mid to SR80i but less strong imppresion on my ears (maybe need burn-in). DR150 and M-50 maybe a bit similar in mid, but DR150 is more clear on vocal (female voice). in clearness i think DR150 is the winner, but i like SR80 character.

high
for me as long as its high doesn't hurt my ears its fine. i got less impression on M-50 and Shure440 about high, just a little.... not much.

low/bass
M-50 got full bass,impact, and its drive low freq better in quantity than the others. but it less accurate (i like accurate bass). Shure 440 got bass, its not as impact as M-50 but its better in accurate. SR80i got the best accurate in low freq, but less in quantity. TAD-500 alittle better bass than SR80i, its nice and like it. DR150,i forget about the bass/low :frowning2:

sound stage
SR80i=>ATH-TAD500=>Goldring DR150=>ATH-M50=>Shure 440

comfort
TAD500=>DR150=>ATH-M50=>Shure 440=>SR80i

and i bought Grado SR80i (Rp. 1.100.000) , in my opnion M-50 is a nice headphone. its have good low (but not that accurate), but the high is a little bit dissapointed (to my ears). next month i intend to buy a closed headphone with detail/clear mid and better quantity bass than my SR80i  (maybe beyer,AKG,or denon.... or maybe ATH-TAD500 its not as leaked as SR80i, and love how its sound). i love my SR80i, but it leaks sound a lot!! and i only use it in my room.

note : when i tried those phone, i plugged it to my notebook and play some flac and 320kbps mp3. ( when i try to add e7, its the same no improvement. so to RAW SQ, i said my notebook DAC same as fiio e7). for next, i wanna got some amp+portable player (maybe fiio e11 and teclast product)

sorry if my english is bad, thanks

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #553 of 991
Quote:
here's a new member opinion about ATH-M50

2 weeks ago, i tend to buy a new pair of headphone (my first hi-quality headphone, before i got ipod/sony/panasonis cheap earbuds and cheap clarion stereo headphone, better than former earbuds). my budget was $100-$140 (Rp.1.000.000-1.350.000 (indonesian rupiahs). the seller was a nice person, he let me try some phone and let me choose which one suit my ear better. here the list : (i've been searching some info and read this site before i go to a store)
1. ATH-TAD 500 (new out of the box, unburned)
2. Grado SR80i
3. Shure 440
4. Goldring DR 150
5. ATH-M50

vocal/mid
i like the vocal most on SR80i and shure440 (a bit different but liked booth), TAD-500 got similar mid to SR80i but less strong imppresion on my ears (maybe need burn-in). DR150 and M-50 maybe a bit similar in mid, but DR150 is more clear on vocal (female voice). in clearness i think DR150 is the winner, but i like SR80 character.

high
for me as long as its high doesn't hurt my ears its fine. i got less impression on M-50 and Shure440 about high, just a little.... not much.

low/bass
M-50 got full bass,impact, and its drive low freq better in quantity than the others. but it less accurate (i like accurate bass). Shure 440 got bass, its not as impact as M-50 but its better in accurate. SR80i got the best accurate in low freq, but less in quantity. TAD-500 alittle better bass than SR80i, its nice and like it. DR150,i forget about the bass/low :frowning2:

sound stage
SR80i=>ATH-TAD500=>Goldring DR150=>ATH-M50=>Shure 440

comfort
TAD500=>DR150=>ATH-M50=>Shure 440=>SR80i

and i bought Grado SR80i (Rp. 1.100.000) , in my opnion M-50 is a nice headphone. its have good low (but not that accurate), but the high is a little bit dissapointed (to my ears). next month i intend to buy a closed headphone with detail/clear mid and better quantity bass than my SR80i  (maybe beyer,AKG,or denon.... or maybe ATH-TAD500 its not as leaked as SR80i, and love how its sound). i love my SR80i, but it leaks sound a lot!! and i only use it in my room.

note : when i tried those phone, i plugged it to my notebook and play some flac and 320kbps mp3. ( when i try to add e7, its the same no improvement. so to RAW SQ, i said my notebook DAC same as fiio e7). for next, i wanna got some amp+portable player (maybe fiio e11 and teclast product)

sorry if my english is bad, thanks

This is a reasonable opinion/response because he doesn't try to force it on anybody in a hopeless, attention-seeking manner.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #554 of 991
personally i really liked the M50, but the narrow soundstage was a deal breaker for me

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #555 of 991
I just got mine a couple days ago and I'm quite pleased with them. They are a definite improvement over the harx 900 they replaced in just about every way, except comfort. I can see where some may argue that they are overrated as they got quite popular after being compared to beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back