M50s overrated?
Jul 31, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #526 of 991
Quote:
This is the most entertaining thread on head fi lol. I went through five pages. Anyways, back to your post, I think you are mixing up overrated and overpriced. If the m50s were
$300, they would be overpriced, not overrated. The m50s should rly make a redesign, and new drivers. They had the same design and drivers for over six year.

If it is not broken, don't fix it (the russian principle)! :p

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #527 of 991
Back to the thread.

I tried M50 and recently tried Brainwavz HM5 which is around 110 or 140 with fiio E6 amp, and headphone stand combo! (what a deal)

HM5 is identical to Fisher Audio FA-003

It sounded really good for the price, and much much more comfortable than the M50.
detachable cable and good accessories are extra.

Pics are googled

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #528 of 991
Rocko in regard your question: "Thanks. Is the sound signature similar?" JVC HARX 700 vs AT M50

I'm not the best person here to elucidate the differences in audio quality. That takes a lot of A/B and I lack the motivation. My test is pretty much which one do  I grab and for what purpose (or) If I could only pick one which would it be? In that test I would always take the M50, it has a more complete sound. It is also well designed and is a better all-rounder. For the money, however, the HARX 700 is terrific. On the "return on investment" scale it is the best HP I have...but it doesn't sound the best.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #529 of 991
Quote:
Rocko in regard your question: "Thanks. Is the sound signature similar?" JVC HARX 700 vs AT M50

I'm not the best person here to elucidate the differences in audio quality. That takes a lot of A/B and I lack the motivation. My test is pretty much which one do  I grab and for what purpose (or) If I could only pick one which would it be? In that test I would always take the M50, it has a more complete sound. It is also well designed and is a better all-rounder. For the money, however, the HARX 700 is terrific. On the "return on investment" scale it is the best HP I have...but it doesn't sound the best.

Makes sense. Can you tell me if the M50 is overly bright or sibilant? My ears bleed easily
basshead.gif
I always prefer silk dome tweeters in my home ans car speakers if that helps.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #532 of 991
Quote:
Makes sense. Can you tell me if the M50 is overly bright or sibilant? My ears bleed easily
basshead.gif
I always prefer silk dome tweeters in my home ans car speakers if that helps.

I don't think the M50 is too bright at all and I'm really sensitive to that. I have some HF hearing loss which as I've learned increases sensitivity in that frequency range. So I really prefer a "dark" or "veiled" (Senn HD 650). I'm a big fan of the M50.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #533 of 991
Quote:
I don't think the M50 is too bright at all and I'm really sensitive to that. I have some HF hearing loss which as I've learned increases sensitivity in that frequency range. So I really prefer a "dark" or "veiled" (Senn HD 650). I'm a big fan of the M50.

Ah, thanks! Me too, bad ear infection left tinnitus and knocked off the highs in my left ear. Anything close to sibilant or from a metal/titanium dome tweeter really puts the hurt on.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #534 of 991
I personally found the M50s very harsh. People describe the DT770s as bright/borderline sibilant but they sound positively dark compared to the M50s.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #538 of 991
Hmmm maybe I should give the DT770/80 a try then as they are supposed to be the smoothest of all the Beyers.... Would you say they are still bright compared to something like Denon D2000 or HD650?

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #540 of 991
Eh.  D2000 is a tonally dark headphone.  Their huge bass and dark sounding lower mids/lack of upper mids makes it so in my book.  HD650 even sounds brighter to me.  DT770 sounds brighter than D2000 to me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back