M50s overrated?
Dec 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #931 of 991

I'm telling him the reason it sounded better is because its a better audio circuit, not because the amplifier is more powerful. 

Where did I mention power? If you're saying an external amp has zero impact on low impedance headphones, you are in the extreme minority on these forums.

There are way too many details to take into consideration for outboard amps to be feasible on-the-go. It is possible to get more performance from an outboard amp, even when you don't need the power, but that's only if the player your using has a bad amp, and if you can cleanly bypass the internal amp, and if the DAC isn't bad, and if both units are properly shielded.. the list continues.

As a general rule, the more equipment you have between the source file and your headphones, the worse off you are. That's why I say outboard amps don't have a place in portable audio unless its absolutely necessary. Though that begs the question, if the headphones are that hard to power, why are you using them portably to begin with?

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #932 of 991
  There are way too many details to take into consideration for outboard amps to be feasible on-the-go. It is possible to get more performance from an outboard amp, even when you don't need the power, but that's only if the player your using has a bad amp, and if you can cleanly bypass the internal amp, and if the DAC isn't bad, and if both units are properly shielded.. the list continues.

As a general rule, the more equipment you have between the source file and your headphones, the worse off you are. That's why I say outboard amps don't have a place in portable audio unless its absolutely necessary. Though that begs the question, if the headphones are that hard to power, why are you using them portably to begin with?

why someone takes them portably is moot. The same argument could be said for why take over the ear headphones at all when IEM's are readily available. People have there reasons.

I bet in a blind test, I could play you a song from an iPod 7th Gen (strong DAC) with M50's plugged directly into them, and then the same iPod running through the FIIO E12 with M50's, and you would notice an improvement in sound quality.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #933 of 991

I bet in a blind test, I could play you a song from an iPod 7th Gen (strong DAC) with M50's plugged directly into them, and then the same iPod running through the FIIO E12 with M50's, and you would notice an improvement in sound quality.

Yeah... because the modern iPods suck ass. The built in amp will degrade the sound, bypassing it with a cleaner design will sound better. The output power itself is not why that happens, which is what most people believe, and what I'm trying to disprove.

My point is you're far better off using something that ALREADY sounds good, without the need for external equipment. Like the Sansa Clip+. Or a high end player like the AK120.

Anyways, this is off topic. The M50 is bad and no amount of good upstream equipment is going to make it better.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #934 of 991
Yeah.. okay then. I can name four right off the top of my head and that's not even taking into consideration vintage gear at that price range, a lot of which can beat headphones multiple times the M50's cost with the right modifications.

Try a Koss DJ200, that can absolutely destroys the M50 in everything (perhaps sans comfort), for the same price. The Sony MDR-V6 is even better than the DJs soundwise with the right earpad swap. Other contenders are the Skullcandy Aviator and the KRK KNS 6400.

The M50 is not a good headphone. It just isn't.

I used to own V6's twin brother... the 7506.
It would not be an overstatement to say V6/7506 series is the most durable and the most accurate-sounding, lightweight portable/collapsible over-ear sub <$100 headphone in the market 25 years then and now.

If I have some disposable money to spend these days (ehh... honestly not much these days) I would buy the 7506 again.

As for V6/7506 aftermarket earpads... Beyerdynamic DT 250 pads provided great long-term listening comfort but at the expense of sound quality. The bass boomed and lower mids sounded distant. Genuine sheepskin earpads imo provided the best sound (balanced bass/mid/treble), isolation and comfort (as bonus)... but I have to take a quick break every 30 or 45 mins because my ear starts to sweat and feel hot.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #935 of 991
I agree an ear pad swapped Sony V6 is a better option by far than the m50. As for the $20 Monoprice headphones, they are actually about $27 after you include shipping and though they sound similar to the m50, the m50 is superior in clarity and much more comfortable than the heavy, head vice grip of the Monoprice. Having owned the Monoprice and auditioned the m50 I would say put the $27 toward something a set of V6 which can always be easily modified or eq-ed to your liking.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #936 of 991
haha I couldn't help but to reply. I own a pair of the M50's and by no means am I a pro audiophile with hundreds of dollars in audio. All I have is my ipod and my M50s. Anyways, the M50s is a great pair of headphones for the price. I don't believe that their overrated but some people can exaggerate things and this is the internet lol so that tends to happen a lot. Are they awesome? Yes. Are they god like? No. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #937 of 991
Excellent value for the price.  The M50 doesn't do many things badly, but has become the victim of overly enthusiastic listeners.  In many ways the more proponents there are of the M50, there are just as many detractors. And so it goes... 

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #938 of 991
If the M50's were my first headphones I'd probably think they were pretty awesome but I think the more you listen to different headphones the more you can pick out weaknesses and the M50's biggest weakness is the drowned out mids. They do have pretty awesome bass and detail that would wow most people new to decent headphones but if you want to hear music the way it was intended it's better to have a less detailed more complete headphone. In that way they are beats-esque. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #939 of 991
  If the M50's were my first headphones I'd probably think they were pretty awesome but I think the more you listen to different headphones the more you can pick out weaknesses and the M50's biggest weakness is the drowned out mids. They do have pretty awesome bass and detail that would wow most people new to decent headphones but if you want to hear music the way it was intended it's better to have a less detailed more complete headphone. In that way they are beats-esque. 

Personally I think the biggest issue of the m50 is the soundstage. I think that they have a decent tonality, especially for someone newer to the hobby. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #942 of 991
What cans would be a noticeable step up from the M50s without breaking the bank too badly? ESW9A?

Sent from my LG G2

Closed HP < $200: Shure SHR840, Beyerdynamic DT-770, Senn HD25-II, Audio Technica ATH AD700 or AD900

Also spend $50 to $100 on a decent amp, it makes a world of difference.

Any word on the ESW9A? Would the fiio 11 be good?

Sent from my LG G2

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #944 of 991
My only criteria is if they make music enjoyable, and the M50 sure do, even if they do sound better to me when connected to a full on amplifier, and even if there are bound to be better headphones. I'm seeing deals for these at $85 USD, at that price frankly a no brainer. The ATH-ESW9A sound interesting but I'm seeing them at $219...

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #945 of 991
My only criteria is if they make music enjoyable, and the M50 sure do, even if they do sound better to me when connected to a full on amplifier, and even if there are bound to be better headphones. I'm seeing deals for these at $85 USD, at that price frankly a no brainer. The ATH-ESW9A sound interesting but I'm seeing them at $219...

Thanks guys. They definitely make music enjoyable, especially at their price. Think I'll stick with them for quite some time. Right now I don't have an amp to run them through so I was thinking about picking up a cheapo Fiio E6 for like 28 bucks on amazon, thoughts?

Sent from my LG G2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back