M50s overrated?
Dec 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #916 of 991
  TBH, there aren't that many options better than M50 at its price range. The reason why I complained about over hype was that M50 was being compared to hps that costed $200. For under $120-130, they are indeed one of the best performers.

Yeah.. okay then. I can name four right off the top of my head and that's not even taking into consideration vintage gear at that price range, a lot of which can beat headphones multiple times the M50's cost with the right modifications.

Try a Koss DJ200, that can absolutely destroys the M50 in everything (perhaps sans comfort), for the same price. The Sony MDR-V6 is even better than the DJs soundwise with the right earpad swap. Other contenders are the Skullcandy Aviator and the KRK KNS 6400.

The M50 is not a good headphone. It just isn't.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #918 of 991
  The V6 sounds horrible.  I'd take an M50 over a V6 any day of the week.

Note I said with an earpad swap. Pads can make or break a headphone.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #919 of 991

If you don't have an Amp, your not getting the most out of the M50's now. They would sound better with an Amp. So if that's something in your future, I would recommend getting the amp first, and enjoying your "new" M50's, and then when you want something better, you have a portable system you can take to a store to demo headphones.

Yikes, that portable amp is making more sense... Plugged my M50 into an Onkyo full size receiver and it made a huge difference... Very enjoyable. I just listen to music mostly on my portable setup, that's why I never thought of comparing it on the receiver... Interestingly it sounds as good but different from the XBA-4 connected directly to a Sony NWZ-Z1060... And the XBA-A connected to the receiver sounds... I guess missing in action is the best way to describe it. So thanks to you kind folks, I am now on the path to a portable amp for my M50 instead of the next headphones... Fiio E12 in the lead, I'm not prepared to pay more and even that is a stretch...

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #920 of 991

Yikes, that portable amp is making more sense... Plugged my M50 into an Onkyo full size receiver and it made a huge difference... Very enjoyable. I just listen to music mostly on my portable setup, that's why I never thought of comparing it on the receiver... Interestingly it sounds as good but different from the XBA-4 connected directly to a Sony NWZ-Z1060... And the XBA-A connected to the receiver sounds... I guess missing in action is the best way to describe it. So thanks to you kind folks, I am now on the path to a portable amp for my M50 instead of the next headphones... Fiio E12 in the lead, I'm not prepared to pay more and even that is a stretch...

The E12 is a great amp. No need to spend any more then that. What's your source?

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #921 of 991
Yeah.. okay then. I can name four right off the top of my head and that's not even taking into consideration vintage gear at that price range, a lot of which can beat headphones multiple times the M50's cost with the right modifications.

Try a Koss DJ200, that can absolutely destroys the M50 in everything (perhaps sans comfort), for the same price. The Sony MDR-V6 is even better than the DJs soundwise with the right earpad swap. Other contenders are the Skullcandy Aviator and the KRK KNS 6400.

This has to be a case of your ears and my ears don't jive. I liked my V6 back in the day, but think the M50 is better, by a considerable margin. Not only are they better but to call the V6 very good and the M50 not good at all, we don't see ear to ear.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #922 of 991
I've borrowed a mates M50 for the past month. Based on all the hype I was expecting at least decent sound but that's not what I got. My friend told me the bass was excellent but I found it lacking. The detail in the sound wasn't there and it sounds somewhat muddy and lowfi. Sorry, but to my ears they are just not good sounding

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #923 of 991

This has to be a case of your ears and my ears don't jive. I liked my V6 back in the day, but think the M50 is better, by a considerable margin. Not only are they better but to call the V6 very good and the M50 not good at all, we don't see ear to ear.

I said with an earpad swap. The V6 changes wildly with different earpads.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #924 of 991

My only question with respect to the M50 is... What's a decent upgrade? At what cost? For a portable setup, does it necessarily imply a portable amplifier, so the total cost is at least somewhere around $300-400? I am currently using a Sony Z1060 and XBA-4, which I love and sound very different than the M50... I'm thinking MDR-MA900 but any suggestions are more than welcome.

If you don't have an Amp, your not getting the most out of the M50's now. They would sound better with an Amp. So if that's something in your future, I would recommend getting the amp first, and enjoying your "new" M50's, and then when you want something better, you have a portable system you can take to a store to demo headphones.

Absolute malarkey. The M50 has a clean impedance plot and it's very sensitive. There is absolutely no benefit to be gained from more power output. Just get a nice portable player like a Sansa Clip+ and you'll be good.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #925 of 991
  Absolute malarkey. The M50 has a clean impedance plot and it's very sensitive. There is absolutely no benefit to be gained from more power output. Just get a nice portable player like a Sansa Clip+ and you'll be good.

So your telling him when he plugged the M50's into his stereo, and it sounded better to him, it was just a figment of his imagination?

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #929 of 991

So your telling him when he plugged the M50's into his stereo, and it sounded better to him, it was just a figment of his imagination?

I'm telling him the reason it sounded better is because its a better audio circuit, not because the amplifier is more powerful. You should ALWAYS go for the most minimal solution possible with a portable rig, and since the M50 is not hard to power the Sansa Clip+ is the best option. Its cheap and sounds great. Outboard amps only have a place when you genuinely need the power, like for insensitive, high impedance loads. 

And yes, it could've easily been a figment of his imagination. Psychoacoustics never stopped being a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back