M50s overrated?
Jul 13, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #976 of 991
  Hey Head-Fi,

Recently I have been reading different people's on the M50s, and apparently, some say they're getting more overrated as their popularity picks up. I mean, I'm an M50 fanboy, and got about 3 of my friends rushing for them, but after knowing that some reviews glorify the cans WAY too much, I'm getting a little anxious. I really hate to lie to my friends.

So Head-Fiers, are they on the way to "Beatshood"?

Adorama (mainly a Camera place in NY) had a 24-hour sale on the M50x cans for $99 so I bought a pair.  I had seen some of the reviews so I figured for $99, why not try them out.   I have to say they do sound very very good considering the price.  Are they the best sounding cans money can buy?  No, of course not, but considering the under-$200 price, they are pretty darned good!  I have a pair of Klipsch M40s which I really love, but they are just too tight and heavy and I can't wear them for long.  These M50x sound every bit as good as my $300 Klipsch cans but are much lighter and more comfortable.  If I had a friend who wanted great sounding headphones but didn't want to spend a fortune, I would definitely recommend these.  

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #977 of 991
Add me to the "M50 is incredibly overrated" list. Until I tried it out myself I couldn't believe headphones this muddy and devoid of any soundstage can somehow sell for an incredible $140 when I have $20 Xiaomi Pistons 2 that beats it in overall SQ hands down.

IMO most of the "M50 is the greatest headphone ever" reviews come from people who:
-Blindly parroting others, especially *THAT* MKBHD guy.
-Never heard anything better than stock earbuds.
-Never heard a decent stereo speaker setup like the LSR305.
For the record he also listen to Grado SR80 and he still like the M50x better and also bought a M70x to compare it to. Each person has their own tastes and opinions, let's just respect them...
I agree that M50x give a complete package an average person ever need for a single full sized headphone.
I don't understand the positive of this thread at all... I see that most of you did enjoy the first few years of using it... so why are you bashing it now after knowing something better? You DID enjoy it when you know nothing right? Me myself have 3 phones now... a SR60, an M40x and a Sony MA100. All has their own purposes and used daily by me... all of them I think is a decent for to the price and will be the base for all the phones I buy in the future... so no regret at all buying and recommending them to any newbies..

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #978 of 991
so why are you bashing it now after knowing something better?
Because your money could have been better spent on something both cheaper and higher quality.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #979 of 991
I never heard the M50s or M50x, so I can't comment about them.

I do however think that the Creative Aurvana Live is exceptionally good at their price. I honestly think they sound better in the mids and highs than some popular, closed mid-fi headphones that people have high praise for, like the Focal Spirit Pro and NAD Viso HP50s.

The 2 headphones I mentioned above have a way better bass response however, but the CAL is clearly better in the mids and highs to my ears.

And they cost even less than 1/5 of their price.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #980 of 991
I never heard the M50s or M50x, so I can't comment about them.

I do however think that the Creative Aurvana Live is exceptionally good at their price. I honestly think they sound better in the mids and highs than some popular, closed mid-fi headphones that people have high praise for, like the Focal Spirit Pro and NAD Viso HP50s.

The 2 headphones I mentioned above have a way better bass response however, but the CAL is clearly better in the mids and highs to my ears.

And they cost even less than 1/5 of their price.
the CAL! slaughters the M50

M50x is a bit of a closer call but the CAL! still has a smoother frequency response throughout

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #981 of 991
the CAL! slaughters the M50

M50x is a bit of a closer call but the CAL! still has a smoother frequency response throughout

The thing that is so awesome with the CAL (which I haven't heard in ANY headphone/earphone before) is the fact that they have VERY good resolution and zero harshness on high quality recordings, but they still have zero harshness on poor recordings, and poor recordings actually sound good through them as well.

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #982 of 991
I agree, they are not bad headphones, there are just better options out there.

Like what? I dont think they are bad soubding but i do asmit i expected more. The midranger in not bad but is a bit recessed when compared with bass and treble. I like the bass but the treble, although not bad sound a bit plasticky, unnatural and for that they end up sounding bassy but also thin at the same time. Rock for example, listening to biffy clyro on the hd25 is much more fun because the guitars have much more raw power, more snare, just overall more agressive and engaging.... Once again not that i think the momentums are bad but so far the first gen momentum over ear (havent tried the second gen yer) and hd25-1 ii are are my favourites so far.

I am a guy that mostly listens to indie, pop, some agressive and punky rock and proggy and trancey edm, a bit of dubstep etc.... So overall i need good alk rounders....

I was thinking of buying a pair of 80 ohm dt770d.... For what i mentioned what do you guys think? Any other alternatives? The dt990 would be a better match....

I had the coiled withe box m50 and i was thinking of giving the m50x a second chance due to their newer pads and replaceable cables but i doubt the sound changed much and the the flaws i mentioned were inproved...

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #983 of 991
They are popular, yes, but wouldn't all all day they are getting close to "beatshood." Of the price were to increase to the point that you are overpaying for what you are getting out of it, then maybe..

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #984 of 991
Like what? I dont think they are bad soubding but i do asmit i expected more. The midranger in not bad but is a bit recessed when compared with bass and treble. I like the bass but the treble, although not bad sound a bit plasticky, unnatural and for that they end up sounding bassy but also thin at the same time. Rock for example, listening to biffy clyro on the hd25 is much more fun because the guitars have much more raw power, more snare, just overall more agressive and engaging.... Once again not that i think the momentums are bad but so far the first gen momentum over ear (havent tried the second gen yer) and hd25-1 ii are are my favourites so far.

I am a guy that mostly listens to indie, pop, some agressive and punky rock and proggy and trancey edm, a bit of dubstep etc.... So overall i need good alk rounders....

I was thinking of buying a pair of 80 ohm dt770d.... For what i mentioned what do you guys think? Any other alternatives? The dt990 would be a better match....

I had the coiled withe box m50 and i was thinking of giving the m50x a second chance due to their newer pads and replaceable cables but i doubt the sound changed much and the the flaws i mentioned were inproved...

Here's what I wrote when listening to DT770 80ohm: (beginner's opinion here... Take it with a grain of salt)
Roomy, out of the head exp, not really isolating compared to AT's, but best exp for Binaural i've ever listen to yet, very precise, fantastic separation. Neutral sounding. Not sure its good for vocal(I like AT's house sound more).. (Not bass heavy either check again-> yep, even less bassy than M40x)…. Will need an amp. Really comfortable and feels snug, even after 30 minutes on my head non stop. Definitely an upgrade from my M40x. Though, not sure for the vocal. Think will be great for watching movies.
Favorite Genre: Classical (popular ones), Pop (anisong, mostly of female vocal), acoustics.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #985 of 991
  The thing that is so awesome with the CAL (which I haven't heard in ANY headphone/earphone before) is the fact that they have VERY good resolution and zero harshness on high quality recordings, but they still have zero harshness on poor recordings, and poor recordings actually sound good through them as well.

You are talking about the cal! 1 right?

I am now superconfused...... i have the ath m50x and  and the dt770 pro 80 ohm here with me and i have done pretty expensive comparison and i just can't understand how so many people say the 80oh dt770 is bassier than the m50/m50x...

i have plugged both to my 4th gen ipod touch and ipad air 2 and wether amped or unamped for me the outcome is always the same.... yes the dt770 is very pleasently sounding due to the larger soundstage and has pretty nice bass but the m50x has a bit more impact on the bass, it hits much harder and sound more agressive when listening to rock or edm.... dont understand how many people call the 80ohm 770 bass monters.... they are bassy yes but the m50x is more. i like both though. the m50x sounds a bit more powerfull and agressive the dt770 is a spatious sounding v shaped sound but sound a tiny bit thinner...

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #986 of 991
  You are talking about the cal! 1 right?

I am now superconfused...... i have the ath m50x and  and the dt770 pro 80 ohm here with me and i have done pretty expensive comparison and i just can't understand how so many people say the 80oh dt770 is bassier than the m50/m50x...

i have plugged both to my 4th gen ipod touch and ipad air 2 and wether amped or unamped for me the outcome is always the same.... yes the dt770 is very pleasently sounding due to the larger soundstage and has pretty nice bass but the m50x has a bit more impact on the bass, it hits much harder and sound more agressive when listening to rock or edm.... dont understand how many people call the 80ohm 770 bass monters.... they are bassy yes but the m50x is more. i like both though. the m50x sounds a bit more powerfull and agressive the dt770 is a spatious sounding v shaped sound but sound a tiny bit thinner...

Yes, I'm talking about the CAL! 1.

But I have the Philips Fidelio L2 now, and they are the first headphone I've heard which I think sound better than the CAL 1

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #988 of 991
I still own my pair of M50, but i bought them under $100 a few years ago, i would never pay more de $120 for this HP, even at $100 it would be to much.
This phones are to expensive for what they are.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #990 of 991
I wouldn't say overrated, but overpriced. These headphones in my opinion, have very boomy bass for headphones meant for professional use, it's all I see with DJ's and analysts. They are good headphones for what they do, but they are just so popular, and so overpraised, that they almost seem as infamous to wear as Beats by Dre (not making a comparison lol, cmon) in the Audiophile world.

They don't deserve all the praise they get, something like the Sennheiser HD800's deserve the praise they get, but the M50s on the other hand, are just good headphones stuck inside a remarkable price. I wouldn't say overrated though, as from all the proper reviews I've seen, they've properly rated it. Fact of the matter is: They are nothing special, just super popular for price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back