If you look at new inf from drivers there are two new products

"hiFace TWO"=_Install, USB\VID_249C&PID_930B
"hiFace TWO"=_Install, USB\VID_249C&PID_930C
"Joplin"=_Install, USB\VID_249C&PID_930D
"hiFace DAC"=_Install, USB\VID_249C&PID_930E
"hiFace DAC"=_Install, USB\VID_249C&PID_930F
"Mercury DAC"=_Install, USB\VID_249C&PID_9310
"Mercury DAC"=_Install, USB\VID_249C&PID_9311

And regarding the driver I could only guess that it's either slowness of the manufacturer making OEM packaging or 1.61 is more stable. At least this is version Stello packaged with U3 too and seems like arguably it might even sound better, could be a placebo as well.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/562732/stello-u3-async-usb-to-coax-aes-ebu-transport-impressions-updated/225#post_9132701

I think 1.61 sounds a tad weightier.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #332 of 562
The Hiface DAC just looks like an attempt to catch more of the portable market with what looks like a simple all in one solution. I think this latest driver has just added the DAC drivers to accommodate the new product. I doubt it would make any noticeable difference with the Luckit version if you are using the Hiface 2. I like what I am getting with the Luckit driver so I am not motivated to try the new ones but I am always looking for other opinions if someone wants to post the test.

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #333 of 562
Audiofanboy's, I've found this 12V/3800mAH USB 5V/5600mAH Li-ion Rechargeable Battery on ebay. Do you think this will do the job? I also was thinking maybe I can power at the same time the Apogee mini DAC 12V 3.3A. Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170932979162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This battery is cheaper, and looks a bit stronger...but without the led indicator: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271155681791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #334 of 562
In my search I've found the Tekkeon myPower ALL Plus MP3450i Battery (5-19V), that looks like a great product but I'm not clear on the specs yet, for the 5V only this will probably be just fine but at this price start to compete with the Aqvox.

As well on the B&H site the reviews are very positive, and on Amazon the reviews are on the opposite side, http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-myPower-Provides-Laptops-Devices/product-reviews/B004Z8ZHD8/ref=pd_sxp_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Maybe they have improved the R3, http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html

Have you guys have any experience with this product?

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #335 of 562
If not stated clearly otherwise, you can rest assured that they all use a very noisy switched mode VR...so solder a $1 5V phone wallwart onto a USB cable and you'll be saving a bunch of money in the process ^^

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #337 of 562
i am still using the original driver (1.50) not had any issues.
is it worth updating to the latest driver, and what are the benefits?

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #338 of 562
Quote:
i am still using the original driver (1.50) not had any issues.
is it worth updating to the latest driver, and what are the benefits?

There is an overall sonic improvement to the new driver that I frankly did not expect. It is not subtle. I suggest you take the free upgrade you won't be sorry.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #339 of 562
Quote:
There is an overall sonic improvement to the new driver that I frankly did not expect. It is not subtle. I suggest you take the free upgrade you won't be sorry.

Chodi

Is this update better than the Luckit driver?

Thanks
size]

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #340 of 562
I have been listening to the M2Tech 1.61 for the last 45 minutes.

It is definitely more technically proficient compared to the Luckit driver. Immediately noticeable is the dynamic contrast, better separation, darker backgrounds and a larger soundstage. Detail retrieval is pretty incredible with the highs seemingly much more extended. Mids are pushed a more forward comparatively, and bass seems tighter and faster.  

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #341 of 562
Quote:
Ah, the blind test argument... I see what you're getting to. Never was a fan of either true blind testing or the opposite extreme (i.e, raving about thousand $ power cables without comparing). I usually try to trust my ears over a few thorough hours of testing and try to reach a fairly unbiased conclusion that way (audio is by definition quite subjective, though I do like to have some objective measurements to ground my testing on of course).

Yes, I tested, numerous times between with and without an external 5V power supply. No, it wasn't blind. Yes, I found a difference. Yes, the difference was immediately obvious. No, it wasn't immediately obvious that the difference was positive (for a a moment, it seemed negative, external sounded thinner for a few tracks, while USB powered sounded thicker). Yes, after testing with a number of single tracks 10 times each and switching every time, I quickly realized that the major difference was in favor of the external power supply (thinner as in much better defined and immensely more extended, thicker as in, less defined and more bloated which can lead to think that the sound is more pleasant - just like high jitter bass that sounds heavier because it's less defined). No doubts after an hour of testing. Trust me, I'm pretty thorough in my audio tests, blind or not. If I have a doubt, I'll say so and keep testing until I can decide if a mod is worth it or not (especially if money is involved). In this case, there was no expectation bias, as I my goal was basically to prove to myself that it wasn't worth it to buy a $100 Aqvox linear power supply. Guess I killed two birds with one stone... I didn't spend $100 and a found an interesting way to improve my Hiface :wink: .

This being said, I understand what you mean, and I would love to be able to abx such mods just to make sure and quantify the change. Alas, I can't. And in this case, the degree of improvement surprised me so much that I intend to make a second battery powered trial.

What reassures me is that I'm not the only one who found out that the Hiface 1 or 2 and most SPDIF interfaces benefit from "clean" 5V supplies, I just managed to get the same result without spending any extra cash. So, I'd be surprised if I were totally wrong in my conclusions...

Nice mod and fun to find out for yourself.
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm still not a big fan of usb audio but that usually does help. Try a regulated linear supply sometime. Usually almost as big an improvement over a switching one as it was over PC power. For unmodded usb, I like the Halide bridge but prefer other methods overall.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #342 of 562
Quote:
Nice mod and fun to find out for yourself.
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm still not a big fan of usb audio but that usually does help. Try a regulated linear supply sometime. Usually almost as big an improvement over a switching one as it was over PC power. For unmodded usb, I like the Halide bridge but prefer other methods overall.

A linear power supply would be pretty cool and flexible but I can't see how it would beat batteries. I'm still baffled by how realistic the sound I'm getting is with my cheap mod compared to USB power and basic 5V  power supplies, or just in general compared to high-end systems I've heard, and virtually for free too.

It's interesting that the feedback about the latest M2tech driver -supposedly an earlier version than the Luckit one (?) - is that it is much better than the earlier M2tech drivers and the Luckit driver. I'll try it out tonight. At any rate, I'm still surprised by each incremental improvement I'm getting with the Hiface 2 every time I change... well, anything really; be it the power supply, drivers or whatever software I throw at it, it just keeps getting better!

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #344 of 562
Quote:
I have been listening to the M2Tech 1.61 for the last 45 minutes.

It is definitely more technically proficient compared to the Luckit driver. Immediately noticeable is the dynamic contrast, better separation, darker backgrounds and a larger soundstage. Detail retrieval is pretty incredible with the highs seemingly much more extended. Mids are pushed a more forward comparatively, and bass seems tighter and faster.  

You ruined my day. I have been happy with the change after I installed the Luckit driver now you are forcing me to install the new M2Tech driver. I am compulsive about these things so I will have to try it and report back. Honestly, the Luckit driver was such as improvement I may need a bib to catch the drool if this new M2Tech driver is better.

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #345 of 562
Quote:
You ruined my day. I have been happy with the change after I installed the Luckit driver now you are forcing me to install the new M2Tech driver. I am compulsive about these things so I will have to try it and report back. Honestly, the Luckit driver was such as improvement I may need a bib to catch the drool if this new M2Tech driver is better.

Chodi,

I apologize. I have reverted back to the Luckit driver after listening to the M2Tech driver for most of last evening. On my system, ultimately, I found it too bright and fatiguing for lengthy listening sessions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back