M audio q40 vs dt 770 pro 80 ohms
May 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Malav

New Head-Fier
I dont want to seem like the guy who doesnt know how or even know where the search box is but it's just that there are many people saying they are really really good in bass slamming monster bass headphones and some saying they are overrated and don't have good bass and I can't tell which is which. So what are they?? Thanks in advance! Which of these has more bass head wobbling !!!

Ps- anyone know if there is a pair of cans that have more bass than the so called dt770 pro bass monsters?:D

May 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't think they are bass monsters, but that's not to say they lack bass. They definitely have a higher-than-neutral bass level. Their overall sound makes them very good for lots of different types of music. It's pretty rare for a headphone to do electronic and rap music as well as it does classical or rock.

If the only thing you're interested in is bass quantity, though, the Sony MDR-XB700's are king.

May 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 11
The Ultrasone HFI-580's and Ultrasone PRO 750's also have pretty absurd amounts of bass, and look a little less silly. You just lose the comfort that the XB series has.

May 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 11
you can also try q40 with dt770 velour pads. i can safely say those are "bass monsters".

May 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 11
When i was on a mission looking for a nice pair of headphones with bass i always kept seeing the dt 770 80 ohm. I tested them at guitar center and enjoyed them. After buying them i always wanted more bass. I dont have an amp though. Most of the time i run them through a mixer.

I somehow enjoy listening to my xb500's eq'd through the mixer more than the dt 770. i can do without the clarity and separation. I like bass and the dt 770 80 ohm dont deliver but they dont lack either. i did get them used thought. i wonder if the pads are worn out and/or if the previous owner stretched them giving me less seal than needed to sound better.... idk

May 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 11
DT770s are ****. They have bass, but it's so unrefined. The bass carries over into the mids, and distorts voices on bass heavy songs. Build quality is solid though.

I've had both the DT770s and Q40s, and distinctly remember the DT770s making Pusha T unbearable. Don't remember the Q40's as clearly, but I do remember that they had no major problems. They were one of those headphones which you could only hear deficiencies if you closely A/Bd it with superior headphones. But for the price, they're really solid sounding.

May 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 11
DT770's aren't bass monsters. The mids sounded quite recessed on some songs which is why people probably call them bass "monsters" but it's taken completely out of proportion. For me they lack impact and aren't actually that bassy. The HTF600's have slightly more bass.

May 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
DT770s are ****. They have bass, but it's so unrefined. The bass carries over into the mids, and distorts voices on bass heavy songs. Build quality is solid though.

I've had both the DT770s and Q40s, and distinctly remember the DT770s making Pusha T unbearable. Don't remember the Q40's as clearly, but I do remember that they had no major problems. They were one of those headphones which you could only hear deficiencies if you closely A/Bd it with superior headphones. But for the price, they're really solid sounding.

With a proper amp behind them the DT770 Pro's clean up nicely. I still think what you say is hyperbole. Unamped they are still an excellent headphone, with much better mids than, say, the M50's.

May 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

With a proper amp behind them the DT770 Pro's clean up nicely. I still think what you say is hyperbole. Unamped they are still an excellent headphone, with much better mids than, say, the M50's.

Nope. I think head-fi deals with enough hyperbole as is. I'm just saying what I heard. I played a number of songs through them and clearly heard vocals being distorted by heavy bass on hip-hop tracks. I also couldn't deal with the sibilant highs. The reson I tried them in the first place was to see if they were less sibilant than my D2000s. Nope. More sibilance, sloppier bass, and more recessed mids.

But maybe I got a bad pair.

May 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 11
Strange that you would say they are more sibilant than the D2000's. My pair, I feel, are a little on the shelved side in the upper regions. Mids are about neutral, but lack the forwardness that most people are used to.

I have heard other people make similar claims as you. It makes me wonder if there were different production runs, or if burn-in just plays a huge part in shaping their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back