M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Oct 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,216 of 1,653
For the headband issue, try tightening the the Phillips screws on the side and if that doesn't work try shoving some kind of shim in there.

The stock pads suck, one of the known issues. You can try the TP mod or a length of rope under the pad but a long term solution is to swap pads. Depending on your budget you can spend $15 or up to $60. The Shure 840 pads are the low cost fix, Alpha pads from Mr Speakers is the expensive one. I use Alpha pads and to me the comfort is amazing but
didn't hurt the sound at all. Improved it to me.

Great thanks :) What do you think of the DT770 pads Mal has suggested buying in his review?

I have those shipping right now and can't wait to get them cause my ears are on fire :p (Reminds me of when I had the M-100...exact same problem)

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,217 of 1,653

My solution using stock pads, inserted 1/3 of one piece of kitchen paperroll into each cup, rolled into a paperroll and stuffed underneath the pads, you don't want it to be too thick so it becomes too deep or the sound signature starts to change quite noticeable (the deeper the more the mids become recessed, in it's stock form it's actually slightly more forward in the mids than the highs so it can be also used to balance it out which is how I percieve it when doing that simple mod that the mids & highs with the right thickness will be on the exact same level).

I would totally do that and thanks for the post but I have the DT770 pads on the way which apparently are a great fit.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #1,218 of 1,653
  Great thanks :) What do you think of the DT770 pads Mal has suggested buying in his review?

I have those shipping right now and can't wait to get them cause my ears are on fire :p (Reminds me of when I had the M-100...exact same problem)

DT770 pads will bloat the bass like crazy. If you are interested in bass waaaay more than mids, go with the DT770 pads. The 840 pads are more balanced. You'll find the DT770 pads more comfortable than the stock pads though, for sure.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,220 of 1,653
  DT770 pads will bloat the bass like crazy. If you are interested in bass waaaay more than mids, go with the DT770 pads. The 840 pads are more balanced. You'll find the DT770 pads more comfortable than the stock pads though, for sure.

840 are leather. I love the soft comfy velour because they are not hot or sticky and absorb the moister instead on leaving it on the pads. I also looked at the Alpha pads but again they are stitched leather...which concerns me because the stitched stock leather pads I had on my D2000's were deformed and caused the sound to be un even so I eventually returned them.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,223 of 1,653
I disagree 100%. The bass with the DT770 velours is greatly increased and the mids are greatly recessed as a result.

Strange, you're the only person I've ever heard say that. This has been discussed numerous times over the years and the conclusion has always been the same. Even Dan (mr speakers) who has tried multiple pads (hell dude does this for a living), will tell you velours decrease the bass. Everyone hears differently though, so there is no guarantee that you are wrong.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,224 of 1,653
  I disagree 100%. The bass with the DT770 velours is greatly increased and the mids are greatly recessed as a result.

Hmmm interesting. Val did his review with the DT770 pads and its was a very positive review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430

Does anyone know who makes the drivers in the Q40? The drivers are a bit of an enigma to me. Who ever engineered them knows exactly what they are doing. They delivered a solid headphone. I want to know who it was.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,225 of 1,653
Swapping pads is quite a subjective thing, I keep using the modded stock pads not because I'm greedy to spend on expensier pads (I already tested the Hifiman leather pads but didn't like the change in sound) but because for me that gives the ideal sound, just tiny bit extra paddening underneath the pads to avoid the ears resting against the driver grille (no thicker than was necessary). I'm the guy that heavily prioritizes the sound though and I keep hearing every subtle change in sound a modification makes as I'm used to interpreting sound for maaaaaanyyyy years so I've become somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to how I want it to sound like, I even keep mastering hardstyle tracks on a daily basis for newcomers which further increases my ability to interpret tiny changes in sound.

The Hifiman pads made the Q40 more unbalanced, depending on whether I used the rubber ring underneath the pads it resulted in either more stronger boomy less textured bass vs loss of highs presence or the opposite if the ring was removed it resulted in tiny bit opposite kind of change, less bass vs more highs.

In stock form the Q40 has tiny bit too much forward mids in relation to highs, just a tiny bit (it can vary ofc depending on source & amp a little, a bright amp can probably make it even while a warm sounding amp makes it further warmer sounding I suppose), the slightly deepened stock pads with paper towel inserts on my gear with my ears makes it sound perfectly balanced in mids vs highs and that's something I'm looking for, greatly enhanced bass but the mids and highs MUST be balanced, otherwise I can't as accurately do my job. Further it will tiny bit improve the soundstaging/imaging if making the pads deeper in exchange for less "in-your-face" mids and I like that in-your-face sound why I don't make the pads deeper than necessary.

I don't care if the mods would make me look like a frankenstein's monster or what as long as the sound is good, I'm only listening at home anyway. :p

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,226 of 1,653
Strange, you're the only person I've ever heard say that. This has been discussed numerous times over the years and the conclusion has always been the same. Even Dan (mr speakers) who has tried multiple pads (hell dude does this for a living), will tell you velours decrease the bass. Everyone hears differently though, so there is no guarantee that you are wrong.

One problem is that most people aren't distinguishing between DT880/990 and DT770 pads. They are not the same. I've seen several people commenting on "Beyer velours" but that doesn't narrow things down... are you sure you didn't try the 880/990 pads? If I put 770 pads on my 880, it has the same result = bloated bass. I've read MalVeaux's review which is why I decided to buy a pair of DT770 pads to begin with
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,227 of 1,653
My input -

Velours in my experience decreased the bass and reduced isolation (likely related). 

The pad swapping is a different experience for everyone - RPG seems to sense 2db difference in bass change and 2mm depth difference in paper towel.  Who am I to argue?  I don't and I'm kind of glad I don't have "golden ears" as I'd probably hate the Pro900 which some say has shrill highs.  To me they are perfect.  Pad swaps on the Q40 IMPROVED the sound in every way to ME.  And the comfort.  To the point that I can reach for my Q40 after listening to my D7000 or D5000 and don't hear much of a drop off in sound and just as comfy. 

Pretty good little headphone this Q40, for about $200 total investment (Alpha pads and V-Moda cable) it is so capable.  Wish M-Audio would come out with a Q50.....................

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,228 of 1,653

While you wait for them, why not try the rope mod?  Take you five minutes.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #1,229 of 1,653
Hey guys! I've been lurking these threads for a long time and just ordered the q40 because they seem to put out the amount of bass without sacrificing much. Coming from momentums what should I expect? Will be used mostly for EDM and bass heavy music

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk 4

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #1,230 of 1,653
Today i sent the q40 back to amazon uk. I spent 33€ for the shipping I hope they'll refound this too. Anyway that's the second pair that has this annoying rattle. I really love the q40 but I can't stand this. Anyone have a good alternative? I was thinking about the dt770 80ohm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back