M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Aug 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,186 of 1,653
Thanks for all the info.

Well, I do hear "something" in the sub-bass range, but it is generally weak and/or muddy sounding as compared to mid-bass and I can't get equal-sounding mid-bass and sub-bass even with equalization. So maybe it is an amping problem or maybe there is really some problem with the headphones or the cable.

Generally I've read these stories (maybe even here, I don't remamber) of people using the q40s and enjoying subwoofer tests and dubstep remixes on youtube because of their bass capabilities. That is very unlike my current experience with them.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #1,187 of 1,653
I've also had DT770 Pro for a week or so but I think the graphs show them okay really, the Q40 really looks like ^-- shape (mids and highs dips and peaks outweigh themselves and are roughly on the same amplitude in average) and DT770 pro has a much bigger spike in the highs making the mids seem more recessed.  

The Q40 do need some form of amping for subbass to come alive IMO, the impedance curve also shows this (the top line shows a peak there at 50Hz vs 100Hz):

The more of a spike in the impedance the more of a difference it will create the poorer the ampage is, easily said. The more ampage the less variety it will be. I agree it do sound a little bit more midbass focused unamped from the onboard chip for sure but I don't have good reference amps to test with to begin with such as C5 or O2 etc. to get an accurate amp vs no amp comparison. The ZO2 is slightly subbass skewed with it's "bass contour" levels (32 different bass boost settings)

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,188 of 1,653
Quote:
Thanks for all the info.

Well, I do hear "something" in the sub-bass range, but it is generally weak and/or muddy sounding as compared to mid-bass and I can't get equal-sounding mid-bass and sub-bass even with equalization. So maybe it is an amping problem or maybe there is really some problem with the headphones or the cable.

Generally I've read these stories (maybe even here, I don't remamber) of people using the q40s and enjoying subwoofer tests and dubstep remixes on youtube because od their bass capabilities. That is very unlike my current experience with them.

What headphones do you own or what headphones do you find that you enjoy? If you aren't looking for a lot of bass quantity, it may be time to get a new headphone. Still though, I'm surprised at how disappointed you are considering their price point.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,189 of 1,653
Well, that may be another problem (I've also said it before) - I am practically new to headphones - I have not owned anything even in this price range before (only some cheap headphones) - so my expectations might be off by a far margin too
smile.gif

I just wanted to have some third-party opinion on whether my q40s might be defective and/or if I am amping them right - and much thanks for what you all provided.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #1,190 of 1,653
The subbass in my ws55 is more unique sounding then my q40,that is more mid and subbass together.The ws55 has only the subbass which really stands out and that is what i really like in the ws55 the q40 is also very good but do misses this unique sound so will also check the ws99 for sure.......

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,191 of 1,653
When I had the Q40s they had a healthy dose of bass but the mids sounded very neutral, not boomy. Nothing like AKG K81 or Beats Solo booming crap. But everyone hears differently, and without another pair of over-ear headphones to compare it's hard to say.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,192 of 1,653
Quote:
Still though, I don't think Golden Ear's (OR ANY GRAPHS) measurements do the Q40's justice. I've owned the DT770's (Pro 80 ohm) as well as the Q40's and the DT770's sound incredibly V-shaped. Vocals are extremely recessed leaving only bass and somewhat sibilant highs. I would agree that the Q40's do suffer a bit with highs, but the rest of the spectrum is surprisingly clear for a headphone at this price point, and much much more clear than its more expensive friend the DT770's. This is just all my opinion of course...

This^.  With Alpha pads they are in the league as my D2000/D600.................I love them and can't believe they cost so little for the value and pleasure they have brought me.  With my list of headphones in my sig, you'd think they would get left behind..................not.  They get a lot of headtime.  They THUMP...............and are clear.  To me they do everything well.

I get some folks like graphs but I have never looked at one yet. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,193 of 1,653
[quote I get some folks like graphs but I have never looked at one yet. 
[/quote]

:)

Damn I wish I could get those Alpha pads over here without getting ruined.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,195 of 1,653
What do you mean? Customs are that rough on items?

Indeed, they will cost me about USD 120 delivered, I have a hard time justifying that to myself. Actually it's not even custom on that item only VAT on item and shipping plus the fee for custom clearance.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,197 of 1,653
Indeed, they will cost me about USD 120 delivered, I have a hard time justifying that to myself. Actually it's not even custom on that item only VAT on item and shipping plus the fee for custom clearance.

You need to have someone here buy and mail to you. I mailed my stock Q40 pads to RPGWizard a couple months ago on a pay forward thing and all it cost was postage. Period. Think it was $12. I declared it was a present, which it was.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,198 of 1,653
Quote:
You need to have someone here buy and mail to you. I mailed my stock Q40 pads to RPGWizard a couple months ago on a pay forward thing and all it cost was postage. Period. Think it was $12. I declared it was a present, which it was.

That is correct, I usually try to by from companies in Asia because they are always willing to lower the value on the package, I go to the US about every second year and make sure that I fill up my suitcase before I go back home.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #1,199 of 1,653
I believe it's under 50 EUR (shipping included) that gets ignored by customs if marked as "gift". Could be different for your country but for Finland it's something like that so I usually mention ppl that send stuff to me from US to declare it as gift and valued $25 to avoid the custom fees. :p

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #1,200 of 1,653
Quote:
I believe it's under 50 EUR (shipping included) that gets ignored by customs if marked as "gift". Could be different for your country but for Finland it's something like that so I usually mention ppl that send stuff to me from US to declare it as gift and valued $25 to avoid the custom fees. :p

That's correct and there's usually no problem when sender is a person but american companies are rarely willing to do this "extra service".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back