M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
May 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,111 of 1,653
Been using the Hifiman leather pads a while but wasn't quite satisfied with the sound, the stock pads with papertowel inserts still sounds the best. With the inner foam ring underneath the Hifiman pads (the pads comes with those installed by default) the FR got a slight tilt towards lows (slightly boomier/muddy but stronger lows and slightly muffled highs) while without it it's the opposite, the highs got a little more presence and bass slightly decreased (slight hint of metallic sharp highs that I don't like, I prefer the softer highs of stock pads).

So now back to stock pads, the bass and the overall balance is just perfect for my taste! The bass hits the hardest vs staying the cleanest while the mids & highs are also better balanced.

May 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,112 of 1,653
Quote:
Been using the Hifiman leather pads a while but wasn't quite satisfied with the sound, the stock pads with papertowel inserts still sounds the best. With the inner foam ring underneath the Hifiman pads (the pads comes with those installed by default) the FR got a slight tilt towards lows while without it it's the opposite, the highs got a little more presence and bass slightly decreased (slight hint of metallic sharp highs that I don't like, I prefer the softer highs of stock pads).

So now back to stock pads, the bass and the overall balance is just perfect for my taste! The bass hits the hardest vs staying the cleanest while the mids & highs are also better balanced.

I'm glad you brought up the foam disk because I was wondering about that myself. I just purchased HE-400's and a pair of velours to go with them so I put the pleathers on my Q40's last night. I listened to a song on them but my HE-400's are taking up the head time. I didn't notice any huge difference between them and the 840 pads but, as I said, I only listened to one song. I like the fit much better with the HE pleathers and the look definitely takes the cake out of the pads I've tried (stock, 840, Beyer velour, HE pleather). So far the only pads that stand alone in my mind are the Beyers. The Beyer velours drastically changed the sound of the Q40's. With an obvious bass boost and recessed lower mids, they were quickly retired. I still haven't tried the HE velours either... are they quite a bit different than the pleathers? I think peter123 would have the best answer to that question.

May 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,114 of 1,653
Does anybody know how the Shure SRH-840 compares to the Q40 with the 840 pads?

Are you asking to compare the 840 to the Q40? Sound-wise?

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,117 of 1,653
What's up with M-Audio's shipping fee of $68.69 to Canada for a pair of Q40s? Any Canadians know where else to get these? The answer for most people in other countries seems to be "from M-Audio's website," but shipping to Canada would bring the total above the price of more expensive headphones I'm considering.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #1,120 of 1,653
Quote:
What's up with M-Audio's shipping fee of $68.69 to Canada for a pair of Q40s? Any Canadians know where else to get these? The answer for most people in other countries seems to be "from M-Audio's website," but shipping to Canada would bring the total above the price of more expensive headphones I'm considering.

They have it for $149 at Canada Computers. Probably cheaper to order from B&H in New York though, even after shipping etc.

Quote:
How high would you guys rate their clarity on a scale from 1 - 10?

Clarity is quite good, probably 8/10 for a closed mid-fi can. It just doesn't sound very open.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #1,121 of 1,653
@GaijinMo

There was a Q40 that popped up on the sale forums not too long ago if you don't mind used. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,124 of 1,653
Yea it's not very open/airy sounding but still beats typical on-ears like AKG K518 DJ for example handily in this regard but yea the headphone is closed and rolls-off in the highs quite significantly past 14kHz or so, so yea it's among the few weaknesses it has. For me it hasn't bothered me and it's not an important thing but if you like orchestra then "airiness" can be an important thing depending on user preference of course. Soundstage is also pretty narrow with decent depth, depth is better than width. These two things are maybe it's weaknesses IMO while it fares pretty okay or great in other regards.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #1,125 of 1,653
Quote:
Yea it's not very open/airy sounding but still beats typical on-ears like AKG K518 DJ for example handily in this regard but yea the headphone is closed and rolls-off in the highs quite significantly past 14kHz or so, so yea it's among the few weaknesses it has. For me it hasn't bothered me and it's not an important thing but if you like orchestra then "airiness" can be an important thing depending on user preference of course. Soundstage is also pretty narrow with decent depth, depth is better than width. These two things are maybe it's weaknesses IMO while it fares pretty okay or great in other regards.

So the closed in sound doesn't matter for rap/hiphop (depending on a lot of vocals) and dubstep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back