M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
May 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #1,081 of 1,653
Quote:

No1 will hear 10Hz, I personally hear down to like 17-18 Hz which is pretty good, 15-16Hz is probably about as low as the people with the best hearing might hear I'm guessing. In a lot of cases you hear extra noises in the test tones though that aren't the frequency in question like in this test. In this test you also hear a "wobbly sound". frequencies shouldn't "wobble" so that is an artifact of some kind. At the 15Hz what I hear there for example sounds more like 30Hz to my ears.

And what does the 10Hz in that video sound like to you?

May 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #1,083 of 1,653
Quote:
In the friendliest way possible: stop worrying and enjoy your music!

He's worried because he has a very tight budget and has to justify spending $220 on these while everyone else likely paid little over $100 for them in the US. I got mine for $89.

I agree that being concerned with a frequency that's barely audible to begin with is like splitting hairs though.

May 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,084 of 1,653
Quote:
He's worried because he has a very tight budget and has to justify spending $220 on these while everyone else likely paid little over $100 for them in the US. I got mine for $89.

I agree that being concerned with a frequency that's barely audible to begin with is like splitting hairs though.

And because I feel like I got scammed big time by buying those AKG K540's. I couldn't return them when I had them, that's why I'm so worried.

May 10, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #1,087 of 1,653
Quote:
What do you mean by that? Do you mean the Q40's sound just as good?

They just let me enjoy my music more. They don't sound as good but I no longer worry about sound quality..I know they are more than enough for my casual needs. Plus its fun to try new amps/DAC's with them too. M Audio are great, my bro has a pair of their monitors too and again for the money its a no brainer, really good value. 

May 10, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,088 of 1,653
Quote:

They just let me enjoy my music more. They don't sound as good but I no longer worry about sound quality..I know they are more than enough for my casual needs. Plus its fun to try new amps/DAC's with them too. M Audio are great, my bro has a pair of their monitors too and again for the money its a no brainer, really good value. 

What pads do you have on them?

May 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,090 of 1,653
Depends on person to person how much of a difference and if the difference matters or not. I wouldn't like the sound with the Beyer Velour pads as the midrange becomes more distant sounding and I prefer a more up-front midrange as that's what brings me engagement while listening to music. My point is that if certain things matters to you a lot, even small differences become obvious because you pay attention to if you hear any differences or not. Already when I deepened the stocks pads I noticed the midrange becoming more distant if I deepened it too much which I didn't like.

May 10, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #1,091 of 1,653
Quote:
Depends on person to person how much of a difference and if the difference matters or not. I wouldn't like the sound with the Beyer Velour pads as the midrange becomes more distant sounding and I prefer a more up-front midrange as that's what brings me engagement while listening to music. My point is that if certain things matters to you a lot, even small differences become obvious because you pay attention to if you hear any differences or not.

What pads do you have?

May 10, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #1,092 of 1,653
Quote:
What pads do you have?

Stock pads with thin layer of papertowel insert (1/3 piece of paper towel rolled up about 1 cm wide and stuffed underneath the pads).

However I ordered a pair of Hifiman leather pads to replace them now as on one side there has developed a tiny crack in the pleather so it's about time to replace those stock pads anyway after some 2 years of use or so (this type of pleather will only last about 2-3 years of heavy use, same happened with some philips headphones in the past).

May 10, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,093 of 1,653
Quote:

Stock pads with thin layer of papertowel insert (1/3 piece of paper towel rolled up about 1 cm wide and stuffed underneath the pads).

However I ordered a pair of Hifiman leather pads to replace them now as on one side there has developed a tiny crack in the pleather so it's about time to replace those stock pads anyway.

What does this improve on?

May 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #1,094 of 1,653
Quote:
What does this improve on?

Well it stops your ears from lying against the foam (there's a foam "ring" attached on the driver enclosure sticking out a little which will touch your ears if you don't mod it). Sound wise it slightly helps soundstage/imaging wise, gives a clearer positioning, less "smeared" sound and very gently tames the 9kHz peak (my guess due to covering some of the bottom holes in the pads as those holes on the underside of the pads tend to increase highs presence). When they were new I thought the highs (I guess the 9kHz peak from the graphs I've seen) was tiiiiiny bit too strong so it bothered me then but already 1dB decrease on the EQ made it quite ok but doing this mod I didn't have to use any EQing either.

May 10, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #1,095 of 1,653
Quote:

Well it stops your ears from lying against the foam (there's a foam "ring" attached on the driver enclosure sticking out a little which will touch your ears if you don't mod it). Sound wise it slightly helps soundstage/imaging wise, gives a clearer positioning, less "smeared" sound and very gently tames the 9kHz peak (my guess due to covering some of the bottom holes in the pads as those holes on the underside of the pads tend to increase highs presence).

What is a ''smeared'' sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back