M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Nov 28, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #466 of 1,653
hmm i checked the link you sent there. The person mentioned the lack of mid bass on the M50.

But then I heard the Q40 is uncomfortable. And the cable is stiff as a rock.

I was really hoping for a headphone with punchy bass good bass.
1time recommended me the M50 cause it had superior bass to the Q40. Well apparently he never heard both of them anyways.

Regardless tell me how would you compare the M50 to the HD280 PRO and the SONY V6?

In terms of bass. Ow also the HD555 thanks.

PS I read the Q40 lacked highs

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #467 of 1,653
The Q40 doesn't lack highs. It's tilted more toward the low end, in that the low end is more present, thus masking the highs. It's not as airy and spacious as a DT990. It has a closed in sound. These are things the OP noted in his review (the first post), you should read it. The highs are very much present, and clear. I find the Q40 very nice for acoustic and string music, as well as vocals. They have more depth and life than other studio monitors.

I don't have a HD280, nor a HD555, and have only heard a V6 briefly (my co-worker has it). The V6 experience was enough to scar me for life. Harsh highs, no bass, and poor isolation.

The Q40 cable is a bit stiff, but nothing horrible. It's long, which is my only complaint, but nothing a zip tie won't fix. You can buy an aftermarket cable, the OP can make you some if you can't DIY.

Obviously, I don't yet have the M50 in my posession. I expect it to ship on Monday, and should have it the following week.

The only headphones I have heard that exceed the Q40 bass in terms of punchiness and clean edges (tightness of bass) is the Ultrasone Edition 1. I have not heard other Ultrasone headphones.

The bass on the Q40 is clean and punchy, and much better than the likes of a K81DJ, for instance.

As of right now, based on the headphones I own and have heard, I would find it very hard for another headphone (other than an Ultrasone) to beat the Q40 in terms of bass.

In terms of overall sound, I prefer my DT660 with a 120 ohm adapter, but it's a much heavier headphone, and bulkier.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #468 of 1,653
cool cant wait till you get the M50.

Just wanna know a comparison as soon as you get them. No burn in required for me as I never even burn in my headphones anyways.

So thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing your comparison next when you receive them.

I am very excited to hear your review and comparison cause I may receive my M50 in 2weeks time due to shipment delay and UPS screwed up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #470 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennhd555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare the sound stage and acoustics of the Q40 to the ATH-M50?

Or are they both the same like since they are studio monitors they are flat?

I own both the M-Audio Q40 and ATH-M50s. For now, I listen to both unamped - my MiniBox amp broke and I am still waiting for the replacement to arrive. I am not sure what you mean by acoustics, but the M50s do have better imaging and a somewhat deeper soundstage. They also sound fuller and more airy than the Q40s, especially in the midrange. Overall, ATH-M50s are definitely flatter and better suited for studio monitoring. However, for music enjoyment I usually prefer the Q40s, because they have a pleasant coloration in the midbass/lower mids and upper mids/low highs that really brings some music to life IMO. M50s sound cold and boring by comparison with recessed upper mids and midbass. The detail resolution on both cans is roughly the same (it's very good), but the M50s may seem more detailed because their bass is less prominent.

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #471 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the M-Audio Q40 and ATH-M50s. For now, I listen to both unamped - my MiniBox amp broke and I am still waiting for the replacement to arrive. I am not sure what you mean by acoustics, but the M50s do have better imaging and a somewhat deeper soundstage. They also sound fuller and more airy than the Q40s, especially in the midrange. Overall, ATH-M50s are definitely flatter and better suited for studio monitoring. However, for music enjoyment I usually prefer the Q40s, because they have a pleasant coloration in the midbass/lower mids and upper mids/low highs that really brings some music to life IMO. M50s sound cold and boring by comparison with recessed upper mids and midbass. The detail resolution on both cans is roughly the same (it's very good), but the M50s may seem more detailed because their bass is less prominent.

I own both as well. I actually think they are both fun phones and not flat. M50s, to my ears have 2 recessions exactly as noted by the pianist, but to my ears there is also a midrange boost. The sound is more airy than the Q40, for sure. I'm not sure I would say fuller. It has more soundstage, but it's presentation is a bit odd. It's airy, but at the same time it puts high frequency further back in the soundstage, and it moves the vocals up front. The Q40 puts the vocals further back, and you're sitting right on top of the bassist and drummer.

Aside from the soundstage, the tonality is quite different, as also mentioned by the pianist. The M50 has boosts and dips. The Q40 seems to have boosts, and not dips. The lower frequencies are boosted differently. The M50 has a dip there to give it some coldness to the midrange, but at the same time having bass. The Q40 does not and is more lush and warm. The high frequency boosts are different, and the Q40 is a bit rolled off. The Q40 boosts, I would guess, lower treble areas. If you listen to rock, the tonality difference is quite apparent in the percussion instruments.

My personal flavor leans more towards the ATH-M50, as I like the air, and the bass. The mids are bit too prominent (vocal soundstage), though, but otherwise fine for me.

For reference, my favorite headphones are the DT990/250 as it presents what I want to hear, and not so much after the audiophile approach. I don't want to invest in the DT990/600, but I do use a 120-ohm cable with my DT990/250. I would really need to audition the DT990/600 for an extensive period of time before deciding to custom order from Beyer.

I also would like to add that I really enjoy piano and string instruments (including guitar) through the Q40. The warmth of body resonation seems more real, at least to me. It does need more high frequency help though. This is exactly as warrior05 noted it. I do, however, find the Q40, more bass heavy than my DT990/250 (warrior05 has DT990/600). I am more and more tempted to get the DT990/600 some day.

The "coldness" of the M50 won't disappear, ever. It's not really that cold. I have heard headphones that are more so. I would prefer it to not have the midrange boost, though.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #474 of 1,653
I just bought these M Audio Q40's on a whim.Wasn't expecting this sound quality,But WOW!Let me start off with their overwhelming strength,BASS.Finally a manufacturer (besides the Beyers DT770's) who's got the bass correct.And accurate,not bloated or muddy. At least in my ears.So far these are the only headphones i've heard that actually sound like they have high quality sub woofers planted in them!At any volume it's present and extended with the right impact!That's one of their other strength's.You can listen to them at low volumes and still enjoy their strong low end.But when you turn them up, then the higher frequencies come in,but they don't lose the bass.They sound a little bright but that's right out of the box.It will be interesting to see what burn in will do to their sound.Midrange is maybe a little lost because of the fantastic bass taking the light.By the way,look up "bass test" or "sub woofer test" on the net and try listening to a proper bass test that goes down to the realy low frequencies.What a trip!Great detail! And sound stage is pretty good too.Comfort wise,(this is their weakness)They are pretty heavy and bulky.Not good for long sessions,as i get that heavy,ear heating,clamping.I will change the ear pads to the Beyerdynamic 770 or 880's velour pads,as i hear they are the same fit.Hopefully!But these are my initial findings after a few days without proper "burn in".So far i think they are an awesome bargain at $160 Canadian.
atsmile.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #476 of 1,653
Hey guys

I'm looking to get these headphones but don't have an amp. Will this be a problem as I've checked on the M-Audio site that the Q40's are rated at 64 Ohms! That seems like a lot of resistance and will take a lot to drive. I'll be using a pretty old laptop and ipod nano to drive these and am wondering if they are sufficient.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #477 of 1,653
My ipod runs them pretty well. They definitely benefit from an amp, but it isn't required. You could always just pick up a $10 fiio amp if you want something cheap that might help drive them.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #479 of 1,653
They are very different in presentation. The Q40 is warm and laid back with heavy bass bias. The DT660 is forward and bright. Bass is not lacking, but not overpowering, and has a good punch to it. The treble may be as it's a bright headphone, but it's not harsh in any way. I don't know what else you want to know, but they are pretty much opposite.

If you imagine a see saw, the DT660 is on one end, the Q40 is on the other.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #480 of 1,653
Hi I just picked a pair of these up a few hours ago and sadly, I'm not exactly blown away. I hope its because I'm going unamped out of my laptop (tried ipod too). I really hope these will sound a lot better with burn in as of now, I still prefer my Ultimate Ears Super Fi.5 Pros a lot more. Did anyone here experience the same kind of predicament as I'm in now? I can still return them if I'm unsatisfied. ='(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back