M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Sep 12, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #346 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Thanks, I really love that skit, So I should be fine if I use them through an Ipod or a laptop?

yuppe, both sound fine.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #347 of 1,653
Well thanks for confirming that they sound fine out of portables and computers.

Are they big head friendly?

Also are they glasses friendly?

I have some D2000s back at home (couldn't bring them up to campus hence the search for cheap(sort of) headphones) and they fit fine so should I be ok with the Q40s?

Thanks in advance,

Izzy

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #348 of 1,653
I just ordered one of these from ebay for ~100 dollars as well. But the length and the quality of the cord worries me.

I would try to build a cable by myself, but right now I don't have the time to order all the stuff and to shop for all of the equipment.

If anyone is willing to sell a DIY M-audio Q40 cable at the length of ~5 feet, please PM me.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #350 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered one of these from ebay for ~100 dollars as well. But the length and the quality of the cord worries me.

I would try to build a cable by myself, but right now I don't have the time to order all the stuff and to shop for all of the equipment.

If anyone is willing to sell a DIY M-audio Q40 cable at the length of ~5 feet, please PM me.

just get 2 or 3 velcro tie ups. They come in a 5 pack for like a buck at business depot, next to the tape and staplers.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #351 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so anyone have any suggestions?

I believe this has already been covered earlier in the thread - but basically people are saying that if they're too tight you can either stretch them over the long side of the box overnight (maybe longer), or if that's still not enough you can get a little more physical and bend the metal headband out slightly.

Mine have just been delivered to my friend's in-laws' address in Sacremento ($90 on eBay woohoo!) so I've now got to wait a couple more weeks until he brings them back to UK for me.

I'll have to put up with my SR-60 grattle and knackered pads for just a little longer.
Anyone got a pair of comfies they'd be prepared to let go?
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #352 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe this has already been covered earlier in the thread - but basically people are saying that if they're too tight you can either stretch them over the long side of the box overnight (maybe longer), or if that's still not enough you can get a little more physical and bend the metal headband out slightly.

Mine have just been delivered to my friend's in-laws' address in Sacremento ($90 on eBay woohoo!) so I've now got to wait a couple more weeks until he brings them back to UK for me.

I'll have to put up with my SR-60 grattle and knackered pads for just a little longer.
Anyone got a pair of comfies they'd be prepared to let go?
wink.gif

I just got the last one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woo, I hope I made a good purchase,

................ ah geez I just dropped $96, (sigh) o head-fi.....

ok I am going to stop coming here so many times a day, its a drug

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #353 of 1,653
Ok so I just got my Q40s

and all I can say is................Satisfied

the bass is just right, the guitars are great, and the voices are amazing.

Best $100 I have ever spent on audio.

Fantastic M-Audio

I would recomend these to anyone.

Just buy them. if they are around 130 good pruchase

if they are around 100 or under AMAZING PURCHASE

cheers everyone,

Izzy

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #354 of 1,653
Ok i just bit the bullet and got mine off amazon for 98 shipped. should be here in the next week. sorry wallet. I hope, no really really hope I'll like these. I'll post impressions when i get em.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #355 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok i just bit the bullet and got mine off amazon for 98 shipped. should be here in the next week. sorry wallet. I hope, no really really hope I'll like these. I'll post impressions when i get em.

I'm sure you'll love them. Be sure when you screw in the cable you do it slowly and make sure that it's tight, otherwise they'll sound flangy.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #356 of 1,653
Count yourselves lucky, the prices here in UK range from about £90 ($165) to £110 ($199) PLUS shipping - and that's online. God only knows what they ask for them in the shops (stores
wink.gif
) but I'm sure they're worth it.

I was lucky enough to get mine from the US as a friend of mine is out there on tour (with Amy MacDonald - check her out) and is bringing them back for me.. but not 'til next month. I can't wait!!

I got some Senn 280's but really didn't get on with them. Plenty of detail, but there's something funny going on in the top end, and overall I didn't think they sounded very faithful to what I played through them.

I have every faith in the M-Audios though
beerchug.gif

P.S. @Scorpio: That's phasey I think you mean. Flange is a very tight delay between the two channels.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #357 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. @Scorpio: That's phasey I think you mean. Flange is a very tight delay between the two channels.

Thanks for the correction, I'll add that to my head-fi vocabulary
beyersmile.png

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #359 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remix reviews M-Audio Studiophile Q40 headphones and IE-40 earphones

anyone with comments on the review here? It basically says that the q40s are not as transparent as the sonys or rp21s

While I haven't heard the RP21s personally and can't comment on how they compare to the Q40s, the review sounded like he tried Q40s for an hour or two and didn't take the time to let them burn in or settle.

The clamp is kinda tight right out of the box, but that went away by the 2nd day I had them. I wouldn't base any decisions on such a superficial review. Any of the reviews here on head-fi would give you better information as head-fiers take the time to let headphones & amps burn in before declaring how they perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back