M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Aug 25, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #301 of 1,653
ugh I'm in that same predicament now...D1001's or Q40's???
I have about 90$ on ebay...the Q40's are 90, the D10001's are 80.
isolation is important, but not vital. the fact that the Q40's have a user replaceable cable(like my RP-21's) is really appealing though. someone on here has been telling me to go w/the D1001's because I can recable them, but I don't think my parents want me spending more money on top of the 80(which they probably think is a waste).

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #302 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ugh I'm in that same predicament now...D1001's or Q40's???
I have about 90$ on ebay...the Q40's are 90, the D10001's are 80.
isolation is important, but not vital. the fact that the Q40's have a user replaceable cable(like my RP-21's) is really appealing though. someone on here has been telling me to go w/the D1001's because I can recable them, but I don't think my parents want me spending more money on top of the 80(which they probably think is a waste).

It is a choice between a natural smooth sounding headphone (the D1001) with a somewhat warm overall signature and a pretty flat SQ with gobs of controlled bass (the Q40). What is the genre you most listen to? Does... ahem... size matter? Other than the obvious - SQ - rank what is most important to you. Try to be realistic in how and where you will be using your new purchase. It should help you steer your decision.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #305 of 1,653
Loving my Q40s so far. Still haven't had a lot of time with them yet, but they sound just like my BX5's with a much more definitive and pronounced bass that monitors of that size just can't produce.

However I hafts agree with you Warrior, the cable sucks. I don't have a reference point for the pads, since this is my first pair of cans, but I will admit that they can be fatiguing. I'll be contemplating solutions in the near future.

On a side note, is anywhere of a source for 1/8 mini jacks that are old style iPhone comparible? Perhaps I'll just make my own adapter if I can also find a screw in female connector...

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #306 of 1,653
ugh...I got funds in my paypal now, but it's 98 shipped for the Q40's and 81 shipped for the Denon's..and woot.com has the 2gb refurbished clip for 25 and I might buy my cousin one and one for me to sell on ebay...

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #307 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those genres then I definitely recommend the Q40s.

Agreed. Try listening to Rage Against The Machine's self-titled debut, or their "Evil Empire" album on the Q40s... it's awesome.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #308 of 1,653
Wow I can't believe I made it to the end of this monster thread! lol
Thank you everyone for all the valuable info and opinions, mod advise, etc. Very useful indeed :)

Does anyone have a Q40 and Senn 280 Pro? I'd like to know how they compare.
I've just bought the 280 Pro's from Anouk, and while I'm still getting used to them (crossgrading from Grado SR-60 which have developed a rattle with the low end :frowning2:, I'm enjoying the comparatively bountiful low end but just have a feeling I'd like the M-Audio's better.

Also the Senns' cable is massively microphonic which is really annoying as the slightest contact with my shoulder causes an audible thump/rumble - obviously not desirable - and I can't believe Sennheiser couldn't have done something about it. Oh and the 280 is squashing my head like crazy!

Anyway I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of both.

FYI I'm using them primarily as studio monitors so prefer as flat a response as possible, and as comfortable as poss, with decent spill control although I live alone so it's not really an issue, except when I'm recording and don't want the click spilling onto acoustic/vocal tracks, etc.

Many thanks, Stuee :)

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #309 of 1,653
Since I'm still waiting for M-Audio to get Q40 replacement cords back in stock(under a week left!), I've been working on making my Q40s a bit more comfortable. First of all I just stretched them out a ton so they no longer have a vice-like clamp, but I also did a really simple mod to the pads. I rolled up some cotton rounds and stuck them under the edges of the pads, so that the rounds are stuffed between the foam and the pad. It made the pads a couple centimeters thicker, and wow! It made they way more comfortable. I'd love for someone to test this out and see if it affects the sound at all, as I currently can't do it myself.

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #310 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I can't believe I made it to the end of this monster thread! lol
Thank you everyone for all the valuable info and opinions, mod advise, etc. Very useful indeed :)

Does anyone have a Q40 and Senn 280 Pro? I'd like to know how they compare.
I've just bought the 280 Pro's from Anouk, and while I'm still getting used to them (crossgrading from Grado SR-60 which have developed a rattle with the low end :frowning2:, I'm enjoying the comparatively bountiful low end but just have a feeling I'd like the M-Audio's better.

Also the Senns' cable is massively microphonic which is really annoying as the slightest contact with my shoulder causes an audible thump/rumble - obviously not desirable - and I can't believe Sennheiser couldn't have done something about it. Oh and the 280 is squashing my head like crazy!

Anyway I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of both.

FYI I'm using them primarily as studio monitors so prefer as flat a response as possible, and as comfortable as poss, with decent spill control although I live alone so it's not really an issue, except when I'm recording and don't want the click spilling onto acoustic/vocal tracks, etc.

Many thanks, Stuee :)

I have owned both, and I feel the M-Audio is a far better pair of headphones. In comparision, the 280 is quite lacking in low-end, and I found them to be oddly coloured for studio monitors.

Unfortunately, the cable on the M-Audio is also junk (the quality is questionable and it is equally as microphonic as your 280's), but since it is replacable, all one has to do is have one of your fellow forum mates build you a better one.
smily_headphones1.gif

In regards to comfort, the Q 40's are clamping out of the box, but can be easily bent out to fit your head better if needed. After adjusting mine, I'm able to wear them for several hours without any discomfort.

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #311 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by basic-chanel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned both, and I feel the M-Audio is a far better pair of headphones. In comparision, the 280 is quite lacking in low-end, and I found them to be oddly coloured for studio monitors.

Unfortunately, the cable on the M-Audio is also junk (the quality is questionable and it is equally as microphonic as your 280's), but since it is replacable, all one has to do is have one of your fellow forum mates build you a better one.
smily_headphones1.gif

In regards to comfort, the Q 40's are clamping out of the box, but can be easily bent out to fit your head better if needed. After adjusting mine, I'm able to wear them for several hours without any discomfort.

Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

It does indeed Rachel, thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to hear (read?) as I'd already kinda decided I wanted to change them for Q40's.
I find the HD280 Pro a little strange in the upper registers especially.
So.. FS: 1 pair of nearly brand new Sennheiser HD280 Pro!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Cheers, Stuee
beerchug.gif

P.S. Gorgeous avatar... is that you?!

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #312 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does indeed Rachel, thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to hear (read?) as I'd already kinda decided I wanted to change them for Q40's.
I find the HD280 Pro a little strange in the upper registers especially.
So.. FS: 1 pair of nearly brand new Sennheiser HD280 Pro!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Cheers, Stuee
beerchug.gif

P.S. Gorgeous avatar... is that you?!

I think you will like them, Stuee; glad I could be of help.

And no, it is not me (though I wish it was!). It's actually none other than Françoise Hardy. I happen to enjoy her album La Question quite a bit.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #314 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaomyname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone can give me advice on how i can obtain the parts necessary to make a new cable for the q40? i cant seem to find it anywhere..

In addition to this, I'd also like to find out where I can find an iPhone compatible termination.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #315 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaomyname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone can give me advice on how i can obtain the parts necessary to make a new cable for the q40? i cant seem to find it anywhere..

Call M-Audio and ask for a replacement cord. You can use the parts from that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition to this, I'd also like to find out where I can find an iPhone compatible termination.

Here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back