M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jul 31, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #286 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, for one, don't find the Q40s especially isolating for closed monitor-type 'phones. They didn't cut it on my bus/train rides, but then again I've been spoiled by IEMs like the SA6 -- After isolation like that, it's hard to travel with less. Even so, my Q40s isolate noticeably less than my other main closed studio/DJ cans (the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and JVC HP-M1000 are the ones that immediately come to mind).

I've had a pair of Crossroads MylarOne X3 for a few months (until they literally disintegrated) so I know IEMs would be a lot better as far as isolation goes. I just don't like the feeling IEMs gives me in my ears so the reason I was looking for an alternative in phones.

Quote:

Icewyng, is isolation a factor for you as well? If so, you should be aware that the D1001s are quite poor in that regard. Very limited isolation (certainly less so than the Q40), though no outside leakage to speak of...and unbeatable comfort.

Well... as long as I can listen to music without having to crank it up all the way, I don't mind having limited isolation. As long as external sound not so much of an issue, I am fine with it.The most important thing for me is the sound quality of the phones, not the isolation.
regular_smile .gif

In that regard, the Q40 is a good candidate, right?
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #287 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, both of the headphones you are considering don't isolate all that well. I might give a slight edge to the Denons (a very nice little headphone, btw) since the space is more... uh... intimate. If you are into DIY at all, you might be able to boost the isolation with the Q40s if you pop off the black grills and stuff sound deadening material inside (there is a plastic barrier so nothing will reach the drivers). Hmm... as I type this I just may give this a try myself. I didn't think of it till now but that's mostly because isolation isn't a factor for me. But it would be fun to experiment!
smile.gif

I wish I could DIY but I am not very good at those things. But it seems like a good option... let us know how it turns out! Would that affect the general sound?

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #288 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could DIY but I am not very good at those things. But it seems like a good option... let us know how it turns out! Would that affect the general sound?

I don't expect it to other than providing a more environmental blackground which may bring out more detail in the music.
smile.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #289 of 1,653
Quote:

Even so, my Q40s isolate noticeably less than my other main closed studio/DJ cans (the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and JVC HP-M1000 are the ones that immediately come to mind).

epithetless, you mention owning the JVC HP-M1000, which are cans I'm considering in addition to the Q40s and D1001s. Would you mind briefly comparing the JVC and M-Audio offerings? Several posters have done a fantastic job extolling their perceived virtues of the HP-M1000, but there are still few direct comparisons with other phones. Thanks!

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #290 of 1,653
Thank god for this thread! I decided to take the plunge and purchase my first real set of headphones (had a akg k26 p before). Got it on Monday and I've been very pleased with it thus far. Bass is right there and should be comparable to the D2000 judging from other user reviews. I use it primarily for movies and so sound detail is important and the Q40 definetly delivers on that aspect. The build is sturdy (Not a fan of flimsy made headphones... ahem Grados, Senns) and its not too heavy. My ears start to get warm after about 1 hour but that's expected with any closed style headphones. Isolation and sound leak is excellent... although certainly no IEM
smily_headphones1.gif

The kicker for me was the price of course. at 90 bucks incl shipping (ebay). I don't know any comparable headphone out there at that price range

Great for
-hiphop, heavy rock, movies, gaming

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #291 of 1,653
@Icewyng

I see that you were deciding between the Q40 and D1001. Which one did you pick and are you happy with your decision? I'm in the same predicament, deciding between Q40 and D1001...and possibly the D2000...though the more I read these forums the more I'm suspect of the Denon build quality.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #292 of 1,653
It appears I have a problem. There's no sound coming from the left side of my Q40s. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the cable, because if I move it around a bit in the spot where it screws in I can sometimes get the sound to come back. I guess I should give M-Audio a call?

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #293 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It appears I have a problem. There's no sound coming from the left side of my Q40s. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the cable, because if I move it around a bit in the spot where it screws in I can sometimes get the sound to come back. I guess I should give M-Audio a call?

Sounds like it might be a problem with the jack. Did you try both ends of the cable? If the same thing happens then I would say it is most likely the jack. But if wiggling the cable at one of the ends has an impact, then it is the cable.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #294 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like it might be a problem with the jack. Did you try both ends of the cable? If the same thing happens then I would say it is most likely the jack. But if wiggling the cable at one of the ends has an impact, then it is the cable.

It's weird, I can move the cable around into different spots and the sound will come back, but if I put it in other certain spots it leaves again. If I screw the other side of the cable into the jack I can't get sound to come back no matter how I position the cable. I called M-Audio asking for a replacement cable and they're going to call me back in about 10 minutes, so if that cable doesn't work I'll have to send my Q40s in the get repaired.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #295 of 1,653
Well apparently they're out of stock of replacement cables for the next 3 weeks, so I'll have to wait. I have a feeling you're right in thinking that the jack is the problem warrior. Do you think there's any simple ways to fix it? I'm leaving for vacation in a couple days and I'd like to take my Q40s with me, so if I send them in for repairs I probably won't get them back in time.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #296 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well apparently they're out of stock of replacement cables for the next 3 weeks, so I'll have to wait. I have a feeling you're right in thinking that the jack is the problem warrior. Do you think there's any simple ways to fix it? I'm leaving for vacation in a couple days and I'd like to take my Q40s with me, so if I send them in for repairs I probably won't get them back in time.

If you have DIY skills, you can take apart the left side so you can get to the jack and see if one of the leads is loose and resolder it. I can guide you through the process. Or I can work on them. I know the Q40s inside and out from all the work I've done on the two that I own and have modified. Feel free to PM me.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #297 of 1,653
I figured out that the problem is indeed the cord. That's a relief, but I still have to wait 3 weeks for my replacement. I'm not really sure how I could possibly go about in fixing the cord, but I have a feeling the the problem lies within the one of the ends, because I can easily get sound to return by moving the cord around near that end. Maybe the solder is loose or something in where it connects to the jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back