M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jun 23, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #181 of 1,653
Finally, this thread has been resurrected! Warrior, did you ever get around to comparing the Q40s to the Denon D2000s? I'd love to see that comparison.

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #182 of 1,653
Again comparing the Q40s and the RP21s: The vocals are definitely better with the Q40s because they come through much clearer. (Better mids?) and the bass reproduction is much better as well. Tighter, punchier bass and doesn't distort at all. I can't emphasize how *awesome* these headphones are.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #183 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again comparing the Q40s and the RP21s: The vocals are definitely better with the Q40s because they come through much clearer. (Better mids?) and the bass reproduction is much better as well. Tighter, punchier bass and doesn't distort at all. I can't emphasize how *awesome* these headphones are.

The bass really is amazing on the Q40s. I was listening to some Justice earlier today, and I was amazed how perfect the bass sounded.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #185 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scorpio, what amp are you using with your Q40s?

I currently have mine unamped, but soon I will be using the iBasso D2 Boa. Even without an amp these headphones are great, but I'm sure they will improve with one.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #186 of 1,653
Cool, let us know the D2 Boa + Q40 combo sounds. That will be on my next of amps to purchase. Did you order it already?

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #187 of 1,653
Sadly I haven't yet ordered it. My wallet needs a little time to recover from some other recent purchases, and then I'll be all over it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #188 of 1,653
Phew, long read to catch up. I currently own a pair of RP-21's and up until recently have absolutely loved them. I do own an amp but its just a pa2v2 and I haven't really been able to tell that much of a difference in sound quality when its being used. I do have one huge problem with the rp21's. Comfort. I think my head has changed shape lately because all of a sudden I they really hurt my head. Specifically just below the ear where the cheekbone meets the jaw bone. At times it can be very painful.

My first thought was to upgrade the pads so I managed to land a set of Beyer leather pads on the sale forums. First impresion was WOW, these things are incredibly soft. Unfortunately after about a half hour or so of listening I felt the same pain in the same spot. Plus the sound seems to leak a great deal more with the new pads on them (a big no no since I use them 99% of the time at work in close proximity to others). Finally, they just sounded better with the stock pads. The sound became thin after changing them and there was some loss of bass (I like bass).

Basically, I'm looking to upgrade. I'd rather not just buy a replacement for the RP21s if I'm going to upgrade so my question is. WOuld I even notice a difference between the 2 cans? Or shoudl I spend a little more and get the D2000's or maybe the HD25-1's? ALso, does anyone notice the same problems I'm having with the RP21's and if so do the Q40s press in the same area since they're also Circumaural (sp?).

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #189 of 1,653
Yes you would notice a considerable difference between the RP21s and Q40s. The RP21s seem to clamp me from my top down. Q40s only seem to push in from my ears a little. Soundwise: a definite upgrade. Better mids? Check. Better bass? Check. Better build quality? By far.

And since you like bass, I would go with the Q40s. And you'd save a ton over the HD25-1s or D2000s.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #190 of 1,653
If you stretch the Q40s over to long side of the box that they come in and leave them like that overnight they will become pretty comfortable. They aren't amazingly comfortable headphones, but they don't really bother me when I wear them.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #191 of 1,653
Sorry to continually bug about this, but Im trying really hard to get a picture of the comfort and pressure of these cans. I wont shill out $120 if they will hurt after an hour.

Besides the RP21 and MDR-7506 are there any other cans you have worn that you can compare to the Q40's?

Is it like a clamp-style such as the Sennheiser 280 pros? Or does the driver-shield flatten your ear? Just trying to figure it out. Besides the murkyness of my understanding of the comfort, these seem like the perfect headphones for me.
Thanks.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #192 of 1,653
Jun 24, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #193 of 1,653
good to hear about the bass. It seems like I would have to give up a little bass in order to have better overall quality if I were to upgrade to the next level of headphones. I'd be extremely curious to see a comparison of these next to the HD25's and D2000's rather than headphones of equal or lesser quality than the RP21's. Seems I may have to wait a while though as they're not catching on as fast as other new cans from bigger names.

Sucks cause I'm >< this close to jumping in and buying. But I really wanna be sure so I'm not stuck with something I need to replace in a few months. At this point, I'd be willing to spend more to get the right pair.

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #195 of 1,653
So I'm thinking about replacing the pads on my Q40s with something a bit more comfy. I saw that Headroom sells the Beyer DT770 pads, and I think I might get those. If I buy these will I have to do anything to my Q40s that will void the warranty, or is it as simple as taking the stock pads off and putting on the new ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back