M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Jun 2, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #151 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u mean any dt770/880/990 earpads will fit it? but seems like eg. the dt770 earpads are bigger becoz they go around my ears instead of touching them like the q40.....anyway do u mind posting some pics of ur earpad modded q40 too? thx

I'll get to this at some point tomorrow - in regards to the pic. The thing is that the pad is wider on the Q40 than the Beyers. The Beyers have more padding and are taller, hence more comfy. I currently have a spare pair of DT990 pads on one Q40 and a spare DT770 on the other.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #153 of 1,653
Quote:

would like to ask, isit easy to remove and put-in the earpads of the beyer and q40?

Once you get the hang of it, yes, it is easy. It is one of those things I find difficult to describe how to do it. Much easier to show. There's a lip of material on the earpad that goes over the plastic edge of the sound chamber. This is easy to see on the Beyers. To take off the pad, just pull at the base of the pad and you'll see it lift off. To get it back on - that's where it sometimes can get tricky. The key is to use the fingers of one hand to keep the pad from slipping off as you work your way around the circumference of the pad.

With the Q40 it is a little bit more tricky since you have to fit the material from the pad into a slot.

If you try it out and get stuck, PM me. I'll try shooting some pics of what I'm trying to convey. (And not doing a very good job, I might add.
rolleyes.gif
)

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #154 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you get the hang of it, yes, it is easy. It is one of those things I find difficult to describe how to do it. Much easier to show. There's a lip of material on the earpad that goes over the plastic edge of the sound chamber. This is easy to see on the Beyers. To take off the pad, just pull at the base of the pad and you'll see it lift off. To get it back on - that's where it sometimes can get tricky. The key is to use the fingers of one hand to keep the pad from slipping off as you work your way around the circumference of the pad.

With the Q40 it is a little bit more tricky since you have to fit the material from the pad into a slot.

If you try it out and get stuck, PM me. I'll try shooting some pics of what I'm trying to convey. (And not doing a very good job, I might add.
rolleyes.gif
)

oh thx for the reply, actually i've removed the earpads of my previous akg k518dj [black k81dj] before, found it quite easy to do it that time too, even changed it to the senn hd25 velour pads too, but those had pics to show how to do it that time....however i'm not so sure of this q40/beyer dtxxx yet, but if u described as the slotting the lip material over the plastic edge then i guess its similiar to the k518dj

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #155 of 1,653
ok, i've juz removed the q40 and dt770 earpads, but i see that the beyer cups' internal foams pads are kinda fixed to the original earcup drivers and are not attached to the velour pads unlike the q40 pads which are attached altogther, so now if i put the beyer pads to the q40 cups there are no foam pads left to protect the drivers?

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #156 of 1,653
Quote:

ok, i've juz removed the q40 and dt770 earpads, but i see that the beyer cups' internal foams pads are kinda fixed to the original earcup drivers and are not attached to the velour pads unlike the q40 pads which are attached altogther, so now if i put the beyer pads to the q40 cups there are no foam pads left to protect the drivers?

You can pull the foam off of the DT770 and put it on the Q40. However, it is kind of annoying trying to keep it on since the raised foam around the driver of the Q40 leaves less of the Beyer foam to tuck under the pad. You can do it, mind you, but it never stayed too well for me. I recommend you glue or silicon it down. You don't need much - just 3 dots in a triangle will be enough to hold it down.

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #160 of 1,653
Quote:

yes, but still find the q40 rather clamping on the head though.....but any tips on how to protect the drivers now that they are exposed due to no internal foam pads?

Take a look at my previous posting where I explain how you can use the Beyer's foam.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #161 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at my previous posting where I explain how you can use the Beyer's foam.

oic, but i dun think i wanna remove the beyer foams since they seemed rather 'fixed' to the beyer cups, not sure how to put them back if i want to in the future too, perhaps juz leave my q40 as they are now for the moment

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #162 of 1,653
can someone perhaps please wear these on their heads and take a side picture? im thinking about getting these but i do not walk to be walking around outside with gigantic headphones on. so if someone could take a side view picture of these on their head that would be great. thanks!

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #163 of 1,653
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone perhaps please wear these on their heads and take a side picture? im thinking about getting these but i do not walk to be walking around outside with gigantic headphones on. so if someone could take a side view picture of these on their head that would be great. thanks!

Here you go, sorry for crappy quality but took it real quick from my cellphone:

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #164 of 1,653
hmm i see, thank you very much for the picture. hmm it seems like an OK size (i use px100's), i wonder if i'll be comfortable wearing them around outside in public. any suggestions? i personally think some people might turn their heads and look for a sec, but i dont think anyones gonna be like "WOW! those headphones are HUGE!" are they? any of u guys ever had the same feeling or concern?

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #165 of 1,653
I personally don't use headphones out in public so I wouldn't be able to comment. But they are studio monitors so I'm sure portability was not factored in its design. But they are nice looking phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back