M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
May 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,532 of 1,653
The Alpha pads look really nice but shipping to the UK means they'll end up costing me more than I paid for the headphones themselves :p

My pair costed me $72 shipped and I got mine for $80 :p

May 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,533 of 1,653
Hi, the jack socket on my pair recently failed (I hear sound only when wiggling the jack plug inside the socket). This is irrespective of what cable I use - the fault is in the socket. Is there anything I can to fix this? Thanks!

May 14, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #1,535 of 1,653
  Hi, the jack socket on my pair recently failed (I hear sound only when wiggling the jack plug inside the socket). This is irrespective of what cable I use - the fault is in the socket. Is there anything I can to fix this? Thanks!

I have the exact same issue as you currently buddy. Its not the goods! and very annoying!

May 14, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #1,536 of 1,653
This is why you should swap the default cable out ASAP whether or not it works for a non-threaded cable!  As it seems the default cable makes this happen, it put strain on the socket when you screw it securely in. My 3 year old or so Q40 works fine still, only the pads definitely would need a swap (I have a spare pair but I will use the first pair as long as possible).

May 14, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #1,537 of 1,653
Its possible to replace the jack if you have basic soldering skills. It's mounted on a small circuit board that's screwed on to the cup.

May 14, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,538 of 1,653
Hi, I replaced the cable with a high-quality non threaded one as soon as I bought these. Additionally the headphones have lived for all their life on my office desk. Never a bump, never knocked them around a in a backpack. Really sad as I was in love with their sound signature.

Quote:
This is why you should swap the default cable out ASAP whether or not it works for a non-threaded cable!  As it seems the default cable makes this happen, it put strain on the socket when you screw it securely in

May 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #1,539 of 1,653

Hi, I replaced the cable with a high-quality non threaded one as soon as I bought these. Additionally the headphones have lived for all their life on my office desk. Never a bump, never knocked them around a in a backpack. Really sad as I was in love with their sound signature.

Replace the jack then, already posted a photo to show you how it's soldered on. I can provide more pictures if it helps you identify the pin layout so you can purchase another jack with the same pin layout.

May 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,541 of 1,653

Before you start ordering new parts, take a close look and see if it's fixable. A somewhat common failure is the plastic jack housing sometimes cracks. While you can superglue the pieces together, it would likely just crack in the same spot. Glueing a small plastic splint over the cracked area will hold it securely.

May 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,542 of 1,653

Before you start ordering new parts, take a close look and see if it's fixable. A somewhat common failure is the plastic jack housing sometimes cracks. While you can superglue the pieces together, it would likely just crack in the same spot. Glueing a small plastic splint over the cracked area will hold it securely.

Oh I didn't think of that, my bad! 

May 26, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,543 of 1,653
just ordered my q40's with SRH840 pads and v-moda cable!

I've yet to purchase an amp.  Any reason I should get something better than an e11?

source is laptop pc, iPhone, or galaxy.  Would it be wroth it for an amp/dac such as e17

May 27, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #1,544 of 1,653

I've yet to purchase an amp.  Any reason I should get something better than an e11?

source is laptop pc, iPhone, or galaxy.  Would it be wroth it for an amp/dac such as e17

If you hold on for a couple of days I'll get my Topping NX1. It's supposed to compare favourable to the e11 and its only $40. I've got botje the e11 and q40 so should be able to do a comparison pretty fast.

May 27, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #1,545 of 1,653

you might want to look into the Digizoid Zo2.3, excellent amp for bassheads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back