M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics)
Dec 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,396 of 1,653
Also, if one side seems to be cutting in and out/dying, it may also be a broken solder joint. That ended up happening to me for my right speaker. At that time, I had already tried other various cables, but to no avail so I thought this might be the case. I opened up the headphone and resoldered all the connections to the right speaker. After that, everything has been fine and dandy!

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #1,398 of 1,653
guys I returned my q40s and ended up getting the M50's instead....very happy with the switch...but i have some perfect replacements pads for use with the q40s for very cheap if anyone needs them. here is a link to what i got and i can quarantine they feel 100% better than the stock pads and fit perfect.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/ohrmuschelsatz-2.html

since i don't need them anymore and only used them a couple days at most...i will sell them for $20(price drop to $15
basshead.gif
) dollars Paypal shipped ( think i paid $35).....pm me if interested.....I tried them on my m50s and they do kinda fit but very loose on them and truthfully really not needed on my new set.....

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #1,399 of 1,653
Hey guys. A few months ago I whined that M-Audio's $70 shipping fee to Canada was too steep. I have a family member in Florida right now, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long it usually takes M-Audio to ship to Miami with basic UPS ground shipping? I'd be having it delivered to a hotel, and I'm worried that if it gets there too late then the person who's staying there won't get it before departing the US.

Thanks. Sorry that I don't have anything more interesting to say about the headphone. This is still the best value for a bassy can with a respectable mids and highs, right? I haven't read about headphones in a while and I'm kind of in a rush.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #1,402 of 1,653
So then guys, do I give these another shot with some different pads?

Absolutely. With Alpha pads (expensive solution) or Shure 840 (inexpensive) they compare to my higher end cans and I can go back to them with no disappointment.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,403 of 1,653
Ordered. Probably a steal at £49. I spoke with MalVeauX some more and he said:
"The Q40 is great, if you get thick soft pads on them and stretch them. I let mine stretch for a week over some books, really wide stretch, and they were good after that. Just takes a lot more time than a day to stretch them and really make sure it holds. You can fit Hifiman pads on them too (cheaper than DT770 pads). The main thing is to super stretch them over stuff though. Like just wide enough that it worries you. Then leave them for a few days."

Sounds about right. My trouble is I'm too impatient and never give it enough time. Not sure whether to get the V-Moda Audio Only cable or the Fisual S-Flex Mini cable.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #1,404 of 1,653
Ordered. Probably a steal at £49. I spoke with MalVeauX some more and he said:
"The Q40 is great, if you get thick soft pads on them and stretch them. I let mine stretch for a week over some books, really wide stretch, and they were good after that. Just takes a lot more time than a day to stretch them and really make sure it holds. You can fit Hifiman pads on them too (cheaper than DT770 pads). The main thing is to super stretch them over stuff though. Like just wide enough that it worries you. Then leave them for a few days."

Sounds about right. My trouble is I'm too impatient and never give it enough time. Not sure whether to get the V-Moda Audio Only cable or the Fisual S-Flex Mini cable.

I've been using the V-Moda audio only on mine. Worth it, great price.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,405 of 1,653
Jan 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,406 of 1,653
I was asking a guy that runs a headphone shop and he reckons the HD439s are better that the Q40s in both sound leakage and sound quality. Am I right in thinking that he is talking out of his ass?

Says the build quality of the Q40s is a little flimsy and that the ATH-M50s are better than both in sound, comfort and build quality.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,407 of 1,653
  I was asking a guy that runs a headphone shop and he reckons the HD439s are better that the Q40s in both sound leakage and sound quality. Am I right in thinking that he is talking out of his ass?

Says the build quality of the Q40s is a little flimsy and that the ATH-M50s are better than both in sound, comfort and build quality.

Absolutely. I had the HD429's, not the HD439's, but I heard that they aren't much different (if at all) and the HD429 is nothing compared to the Q40 in terms of sound quality. Sound leakage will only be a problem if you don't get a good seal with the Q40.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,408 of 1,653
Having finally actually recieve a bit of spending cash, I'm now looking into a bit of a Amp or DAC that would go nicely with the Q40's.
I've looked into the E17, and am obviously considering the Digizoid ZO2. My only question is, how's the bass boost on the E17? I understand that the ZO is basically elevating the bass levels, and not really considering much else, whereas the E17 does quite a bit of everything, it's just whether it'll be able to get that extra bass end push similar (but obviously not too similar) to that of the ZO2.

Cheers,

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,409 of 1,653
  Absolutely. I had the HD429's, not the HD439's, but I heard that they aren't much different (if at all) and the HD429 is nothing compared to the Q40 in terms of sound quality. Sound leakage will only be a problem if you don't get a good seal with the Q40.

I thought he was talking a load of crap. Anyway, had an issue with my initial order but I am now glad to say my Q40s will be here Monday. Now to decide which comfortable ear cushions to get for them. DT770 pads most readily available but not sure sound-wise.

Going to get a cable as well, probably the V-Moda one.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,410 of 1,653
I thought he was talking a load of crap. Anyway, had an issue with my initial order but I am now glad to say my Q40s will be here Monday. Now to decide which comfortable ear cushions to get for them. DT770 pads most readily available but not sure sound-wise.

Going to get a cable as well, probably the V-Moda one.

I've tried over 10 pads on the Q40. Top two are Alpha pads and Shure 840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back