LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,052 of 5,225
Thank you very much for your comments. I was seriously considering FLC8S until I heard about the microphonics with the cable as well as I believe there's a memory wire.

I then came across these. I would expect given about $150 price difference the FLC8S should perform better but I understand that's not always the case.

I'm very happy I got the A4. I personally feel there an excellent value and perform very well. I don't have much to compare two so I can't say it's better than this one or that one. But I think it stands very well on its own

I would love to find an IEM that has a truly three dimensional sound with all the excellent low and h that has a truly three dimensional sound with all the excellent low, miss and high frequency performance of the A4

So you are not satisfied with 3D presentation of A4?

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #1,053 of 5,225
Hey @nealh
 - Congrats on your acquisition. I appreciated what was achieved by the FLC8S, but I couldn't find a reason to spend money on it. The better option would be say buying a Zen 2.0 earbud and pairing with a Shanling M3. The Zen 2.0 would be a closer cousin to the A4 than the FLC hybrid, even though we're talking about an earbud. The Zen 2.0 provides a slightly bigger soundstage, only right for an earbud but the A4 isn't far away. Zen is all about totally natural delivery and decay. I'd take that over analytical any day of the week. I'm glad I returned my Trinity PM4 to get this instead. Hands down,this is the best Hybrid under 200$.

Again, FLC8s is not a direct upgrade because that is a different beast altogether. A direct upgrade to the A4??? Not sure there is one for under 500$. :wink:

Thx. Brooko made the same suggestion. The only earbuds I have tried were inexpensive ones several yrs back and find earbuds did not seem to feel comfortable. Maybe I need to reconsider

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #1,054 of 5,225
So you are not satisfied with 3D presentation of A4?

No actually I think the overall soundstage is really nice

I find the Red/b and Blue/f (more than the other combo I love Red/b and Black/f) provide an even more open engulfing feel. I don't have a lot to compare and no TOTL IEMs

The more I have listened to A4 the better the overall soundstage appears and I realize it has more surround feel. I'm not sure I'm explaining this well.

I will say the A4 is helping me learning to listen and hear components of the recordings I never appreciated before.

Please take my thoughts as my opinion as I don't have the technical expertise that others have.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,055 of 5,225
Thx. Brooko made the same suggestion. The only earbuds I have tried were inexpensive ones several yrs back and find earbuds did not seem to feel comfortable. Maybe I need to reconsider

yeah it only means that we're probably being objective (Brooko and myself had a couple of disagreements on sound at the beginning). If the FLC8s is itching you, best save up. I had the pleasure of digging it for an entire month.  It was nice where the vocals were placed in the middle of the stage and the instruments were surrounding you as if you were encapsulated in a sphere of sound. 3D holographic.  When I paired the FLC8S with an Alo Rx amp into a Shanling M2 it was layered stages like I've never heard before.

Maybe you can hit up other fellow FLC owners and do impressions trade with them.

A4 trumps the FLC8S and pretty much most hybrids I've heard with its soundstage. There is no "ceiling" to the sound. Sure my dn2000 presents itself wide but the highs don't decay into nothingness like the way it does so naturally with the A4. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #1,056 of 5,225
No actually I think the overall soundstage is really nice

I find the Red/b and Blue/f (more than the other combo I love Red/b and Black/f) provide an even more open engulfing feel. I don't have a lot to compare and no TOTL IEMs

The more I have listened to A4 the better the overall soundstage appears and I realize it has more surround feel. I'm not sure I'm explaining this well.

I will say the A4 is helping me learning to listen and hear components of the recordings I never appreciated before.

Please take my thoughts as my opinion as I don't have the technical expertise that others have.

Oh, that's great. If it has good enough soundstage, that would be a great phone.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #1,057 of 5,225
I do want to add that there are times the LZ-A4 just has me tapping my feet to the music. I cant say I have that feeling often with any headphone or IEM. It just makes me want to listen to music.

I switched just recently to the Red/B and Blue/F combo, I was afraid the treble might be an issue( there is an occasional song that the treble might be a tad more than I usually like- get a touch of fatigue brightness) but the overall feel to music is just more energetic, engulfing in a way that is hard to describe and different than then Red/B and Black/F. I get all this at the low volumes I enjoying listening to my music( which is 2-3 clicks from 0 on my iPhone 7 and MacBook Pro).

I am having a hard time deciding which is "better" and which will be my long term choice. I know I could swap back and forth but then I have to think too much about how I want to listen to the music. However, the fact I have the option is great. Not a bad problem per se. LOL

One more thing, I really love the fact I can wear them up or down with no microphonics.

I am just stating my opinions, these are not perfect and I am not sure they meet everyone needs or are equal to a TOTL IEM. I hate hype and do not want to flame unrealistic expectations. Please understand the most expensive IEM I have purchased in the past and listen to is the Fidue A73. I just know I enjoy them.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,061 of 5,225
I have a pair of k3003 (not k3003i) and I'm curious how these TOTL iems compare against the LZ A4s...it's too bad I dropped $$ for the Noble X's on Massdrop already :sob:

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,063 of 5,225
Hello. New user here and I was wondering about how these might hold up being used as IEMs on stage. It can get hot and sweaty under those lights. I've seen some comments about the build quality being decent, does this mean they won't be the most durable?

Also I think I've seen some comments about isolation being average. I guess that could be a problem. I was thinking if anything I can have the drums lower in the mix?

Would like something I can enjoy listening to music with that would also work on stage, but at this price I'd like to know it'll hold up.

Thanks!

They'll work great for your IEM monitors. I've been using the LZ A2 for this duty awhile-no problems. I think the A4 will hold up better as I feel the build is more robust. I've not had any problems with the A2 but they don't have detachable connectors so I'm careful with them. Isolation will be predicated on your choice of tips to some degree. If you're apt to be moving-flailing around-a tip that's deeper seated-perhaps-dual flanges might be more isolating. They are excellent sounding.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,064 of 5,225
One of the characteristics of LZ IEMs is the non-fatiguing listening experience offered.
I like this sound character a lot. It makes music listening easy and enjoyable, and that's the end of buying IEMs. :)

Aw hellz yeah! I totally second this sentiment. Truly enjoyable experience without fatigue. The highs are not muted in terms of details, and violins and female still sing with utter sweetness! The A4 is a testament of a solid bang for buck iem.

So far, I haven't heard anyone unhappy. Even if ever someone decided to sell their a4, I'm sure people would be just as happy to snag it at a truly good price provided.

Sure it's not the most resolving out there but this iem ticks most boxes with confidence. I've switched to the comply tips and brought back the black back filter and boy do I love its balanced presentation. Solid solid buy.

Balanced or slight U, it replaces many choices out there.

Eventually, I'd love to write a review but I'm currently enjoying this as well as any other owner. I'll hold of since I've got them in xmas eve. Curious hearing from other experienced enthusiasts who've recently owned this as well!

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,065 of 5,225
I have a pair of k3003 (not k3003i) and I'm curious how these TOTL iems compare against the LZ A4s...it's too bad I dropped $$ for the Noble X's on Massdrop already :sob:

Taking them back to where it all began... Would be a great compare to see how far things have come, given that these are pretty consistently well regarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back