LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,081 of 5,225
Love the A4 with the DX90, but I have two things I question about them. They're not as detailed as everyone described(it is detailed, really, but not up to the level as everyone said) and I honestly can't pick a filter combination :frowning2:

Here is a really good quote from an upcoming iem totl shootout:

"
Technical properties

Resolution, clarity, detail retrieval, and tonal accuracy

High resolution is somewhat of a ‘holy grail’ for some listeners (including myself), as well as manufacturers. It is one of the most important properties to define the quality of the reproduction of individual tones, as well as the combined picture of the music. It is also one of the most misunderstood terms. More often than not, the term resolution is uses synonymously for detail retrieval, or in other words ‘clarity’. But there’s a very important distinction between resolution and clarity. Resolution refers primarily to the definition of individual instruments; high resolution is ‘high definition’ so to speak. With greater resolution, instruments will be more clearly defined, which accordingly will affect both separation and detail retrieval. But these are indirect side effects so to speak, rather than the main goal. Resolution results from a combination between the tonal balance and treble extension, with a prominent role for the latter. Clarity on the other hand simply results from brightening the signature by boosting the treble, and is primarily the result of enhanced treble. The primary goal of clarity is usually to enhance detail retrieval; it’s more of a direct route. So a monitor can offer a high amount of detail based on clarity, while still having low resolution. On the other hand, a monitor can have high resolution while still having a warmer or darker signature.

As an example, try to picture (or google) the painting styles of Rembrandt and Picasso. Rembrandt was renowned for playing with light, and painted dark but highly detailed images. The details don’t shout at you, but upon closer inspection, you marvel at the portrayal of individual faces and objects. This can be considered an analogy for high resolution. Picasso on the other hand used simple lines and bright colors. The picture doesn’t change much whether you’re in the back of the room or up close. In this case you can say there is a lot of clarity, although it isn’t particularly highly resolved.

The distinction is important, because boosting clarity is somewhat of a shortcut for detail retrieval. The music might sound detailed, it can come at the cost of tonal accuracy; the naturalness of the presentation. In addition, boosting the treble often results in cutting off lower harmonics (the lingering after effects of a note, such as when the chord of electric guitar is struck). So while it might appear more resolving, there is a loss of information. As we will see, a lot of the top performers when it comes to resolution have a midcentric signature, in order to maintain a natural tonality. The reason that manufacturers will often boost clarity rather than resolution, is because it is proven very difficult to improve treble extension. The common standard for iems is a sharp treble rolloff around 10 KHz, due to the inherent properties of the drivers.

Clarity can be viewed as a subjective trait of a signature. Some people prefer a brighter presentation, while others might prefer a warmer or smoother presentation. Therefore, it isn’t a technical characteristic, while resolution is. Higher resolution is per definition always an improvement, as it is independent of a signature; both V-shaped as well as midcentric iems can have high or low resolution. In addition, while a preference for signature is subjective, tonal accuracy isn’t; it’s an objective quality that refers to how accurate different instruments are portrayed, compared to how actual instruments sound. It is of course intimately related to signature.
"

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,082 of 5,225
One has to consider the slightly sub 200$ price tag. I gladly paid 210$ just to get mine b4 Xmas! Glad I did.

Resolution is pretty good on this one. It's this totl resolution? Nope. If you are clarity (boosted high frequencies or emphasized high frequencies look elsewhere. This was designed to be a relaxing listen. Not sure what else I could suggest other than finding the right filters and proper tip matching.

A4 brings lots to the table. Its best features are a true bargain for the price. How long had you had this?

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,083 of 5,225
One has to consider the slightly sub 200$ price tag. I gladly paid 210$ just to get mine b4 Xmas! Glad I did.

Resolution is pretty good on this one. It's this totl resolution? Nope. If you are clarity (boosted high frequencies or emphasized high frequencies look elsewhere. This was designed to be a relaxing listen. Not sure what else I could suggest other than finding the right filters and proper tip matching.

A4 brings lots to the table. Its best features are a true bargain for the price. How long had you had this?

Thanks, got a clearer picture of it. While I do agree that they do sound natural. Got them last Dec. 21, so exactly 7 days.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,084 of 5,225
I own a IT03 combined with a cayin i5.
i would like some more bass for some songs thoug (if possible without eq).
Would you say that the A4 can provide such and keep up in sq?
I also prefer to not wear the cable over ear, so that is a big plus for the A4.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,087 of 5,225
Yupp 100%, Red/B Blue/F is my favorite. Haven't listened to these in quite a few days, been listening to my LyxPro HAS-30 cans.

Same here Dude. I love the red/b black/f combo for it's fun bass, but for every day use on a smoother source I really love the blue up front instead. Very pleased. 

Today I received my A4 along with the pure silver upgrade cable and some spinfit eartips , 

OOTB impressions just WOW excellent ,  i am really so happy , , , , 

That's a lovely looking cable, congrats. Any link to that cable by chance?

-Collin-

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #1,088 of 5,225
  Wow! silver? or just silver coated? Let us know more about whether this cable can improve the SQ of A4.

Yea it is 8 core pure silver cable not the silver plated one, 
As for the SQ this cable definitely effect on the sound it makes the sound more clean and transparent brings out more details than the stock cable but this cable makes the sound bit more brightish and reduce some bass quantity but make the bass more refine and highs quality than stock cable , 
Keep in mind that this is very early impressions and comparison with stock cable and definitely i neet more time for better judgement . 

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,090 of 5,225
  Thanks friend , 
I purchased from banned seller so can't post the link ,  sorry . 

Haha, okay I found it. It also seems to be available from a non-banned seller: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pure-Silver-Cable-8-Core-Upgrade-Silver-Sterling-Cable-for-Shure-LZ-A4-A3S-SE846-UE900/32784401210.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.47.qoPLqP&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_10000009_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10033_10059_10099_10078_10079_427_426_10103_10073_10102_10096_10052_10050_10107_10051_10106,searchweb201603_4,afswitch_1&btsid=6e1a9c83-7eab-4dba-8861-8c1a89265d31

-Collin-

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,091 of 5,225
Thanks to you guys I finally caved in and ordered the A4 with express shipping. Should be receiving them in a few days as AK is usually very fast with their shipping. Can't wait to put them in my ears!

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,093 of 5,225
Any comments on comfort while laying on your side?

Also, due to the porting, how much change does a pillow pressing up on the phones make when on your side?

I think they will be too big for side laying

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #1,095 of 5,225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back