LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #2,776 of 5,225
Try a pure silver single-end cable with the black back-plate for your 'wooly bass and mushy mids'.
You never answered me before on phase issues going balanced.

I'm pretty sure the phase/timing/imaging issues can be traced to bad synergy going balanced upstream.

I don't run balanced...

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #2,777 of 5,225
Feb 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,778 of 5,225
Anyone tried the A4 with Cowon Plenue D ? Great synergy ?

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #2,779 of 5,225
Just an update to my original post on these IEMs vs the AKG K3003s. After several weeks of listening, on and off, I think the original Austrian-made AKG K3003s win out over the LZ-A4s. There's a refinement to the K3003s that isn't quite there for the LZ-A4s. 

I think my tastes were a bit more basshead when I first got the LZ-A4s, and the better soundstage and sub-bass rumble of the A4s had me raving for a while. Now that the dust has settled, I think I can say that the K3003s still retain first place among my IEMs. LZ-A4s are significantly warmer than the K3003s.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #2,780 of 5,225
  Just an update to my original post on these IEMs vs the AKG K3003s. After several weeks of listening, on and off, I think the original Austrian-made AKG K3003s win out over the LZ-A4s. There's a refinement to the K3003s that isn't quite there for the LZ-A4s. 

I think my tastes were a bit more basshead when I first got the LZ-A4s, and the better soundstage and sub-bass rumble of the A4s had me raving for a while. Now that the dust has settled, I think I can say that the K3003s still retain first place among my IEMs. LZ-A4s are significantly warmer than the K3003s.

For 1000 quid I'd hope so.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #2,781 of 5,225
DUYU and I just lobbied wtih various people to get review units sent to Brooko.  Actually I want to get a pair to NMatheis also (I think he has a good ear also and also writes quality reviews).  So far I have not pulled that hat trick off.

ask SeeSax and watch magic happen...

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #2,783 of 5,225
His is made in China though, I guess?

Anyway, I guess it's time for Chinese IEM makers to change their slogans....gotta kill sth else.

I brought him up because of his goodwill. He would be happy to send it to Nik (his LZ-A4).Nik being the gentleman he is (arranging tours and helping people out), is easily another member that makes head fi a real community. Anyhow hopefully we can all pitch in to promote stellar products like the A4 (for example). A lot people I believe will be grateful with their ears and wallet intact Lmao...

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,784 of 5,225
I brought him up because of his goodwill. He would be happy to send it to Nik (his LZ-A4).Nik being the gentleman he is (arranging tours and helping people out), is easily another member that makes head fi a real community. Anyhow hopefully we can all pitch in to promote stellar products like the A4 (for example). A lot people I believe will be grateful with their ears and wallet intact Lmao...

Oops, didn't read your quote carefully, I thought you was talking about SeeSax's recently bought K3003.
I saw some of you mentioned Nic/Nik. I didn't know Nic refers to nmatheis. Sorry for my ignorance again....
Let's see what SeeSax thinks first.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2,785 of 5,225
  Anyone tried the A4 with Cowon Plenue D ? Great synergy ?

​I think they go well together ... I actually like BBE and use the Wide or ViVa 2 settings the most with the A4.

For the moment, I have settled in with Red back / grey front. I still love the black/black combo though. Trying to give this new one a try.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,786 of 5,225
Glad to see @duyu
 could lure you into the A4....  It's not too shabby:wink: .

I have been listening to it with my X3ii--HVA rig, thanks to your "variable Line Out" input!

I'm curious to read how you think it adjusts to different sources like the HVA.:xf_eek:  

How are you finding the HVA to pair with the A4, Indigo Bob? May have a pair of LCD-2s coming in a trade deal, so started looking into potential amps to beef up output from my gear and kept coming across the HVA being mentioned - it's not 100% perfect for the original use I was after as I eould likely rub it off my X5ii, but does look like one great piece of kit and it's readily available in the UK (oddly, as it's a NZ made product) so I'm starting to get the itch to see if it can improve the sound with my A4s and Vegas...

I know Brooko is a fan, which is usually a good sign. :wink:

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,787 of 5,225
How are you finding the HVA to pair with the A4, Indigo Bob? May have a pair of LCD-2s coming in a trade deal, so started looking into potential amps to beef up output from my gear and kept coming across the HVA being mentioned - it's not 100% perfect for the original use I was after as I eould likely rub it off my X5ii, but does look like one great piece of kit and it's readily available in the UK (oddly, as it's a NZ made product) so I'm starting to get the itch to see if it can improve the sound with my A4s and Vegas...

I know @Brooko is a fan, which is usually a good sign.
wink.gif

You have the Vegas? You are getting Hunter as well correct? I know there is still a big price difference but would love to know they compare?

Do you think the Vega has a 3D soundstage?

I can tell you IndigoBob loves the HVA. He has stated in PM it pairs well with the A4. I will not put words in his mouth but he really loves the tube amp. There are rumors there is updated version coming out down the road.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,788 of 5,225

I know @Brooko is a fan, which is usually a good sign.
wink.gif

The HVA pairs beautifully with the A4...  I have it usually rigged to my FiiO X3ii on Variable Line Out and I honestly can't listen to anything else...  The sound is a complete step up and not incremental at all.  

In fact, I can't listen without the tube sound anymore...  The detail is vibrant and warm, yet expanded with more airiness.  It's tube sound done really well...

As @nealh said, Martin, the maker of the HVA, is coming out with a new version that seems to have tweaked the original a little bit...

Martin has been really nice about keeping in contact with me...  Here is what he had to say about the new version o the HVA....(sent to me 6 days ago):

Hi Robert,

Really nice to hear from you again and thanks so much for being a loyal promoter of the HVA.

The Mark 2 development is pretty much complete. I've ended up adding 2 extra switches so there are 3 in total.

#1 = gain control
#2 = DAC ON or OFF
#3 = Charging ON or OFF

This way the HVA can be used with a phone in DAC mode without draining the phone battery. I will have my final prototype PCB for this in about 2 weeks and then will be able to get this into production, so shouldn't be too far away.

The Northern Electric HVA's were a special run made for the Tube Store in Canada that has an Electricity Utility customer called 'Northern Electric'.

If you check back with me in about 6 weeks I'll be able to give you a date for having the MK2 ready.

Also of interest may be our new 'Desktop' Amplifier. Same circuitry and sonics as the HVA plus 100W speaker amp, Bluetooth, Vinly Preamp, 2 x Headphone stages and 32bit/384kHz DAC. This has been designed to be a 'show piece' with a clear glass lid. It really is an amazing looking amplifier and sounds incredible. Check is out here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/970055861/art-and-technology-together-the-desktop-valve-ampl

We're also got a Facebook for this:  

https://www.facebook.com/Desktop-Valve-Amplifier-189105071566967

Regards,

Martin

Also @Jackpot77, I read in the reviews that the HVA had some distortion situations with full size cans, but that deals with impedance and knowledge I am ignorant of in general and with this device....

I recommend contacting @Brooko about this to make sure the HVA is good for your headphone purchase...  

Personally...  I absolutely love the HVA... The improvement in sound and for the price is substantial and something I never expected....  And I love it's portability.  Personally, I recommend waiting for the new version, that is my option, but if your needs are simple enough for the present Amp, I recommend looking into it and contacting brooko, cuz he did a lot, and does a lot of collaboration with the Martin himself.

I haven't found a lot of other portable tube amps and the only other one I am knowledgeable of is the Alo Continental v5, which is great, but very expensive...

I hope that helps!
cleardot.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,789 of 5,225
Oops, didn't read your quote carefully, I thought you was talking about SeeSax's recently bought K3003.
I saw some of you mentioned Nic/Nik. I didn't know Nic refers to nmatheis. Sorry for my ignorance again....
Let's see what SeeSax thinks first.

Happy to loan one of my two pairs of A4 out, feel free to PM me. :)

Or was I supposed to loan out my K3003? That I'm a bit more nervous about :)

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back