LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,761 of 5,225

Even if you're going to get a new pair of IEMs and don't want to go through the trouble of a replacement cable, there are literally hundreds of options in MMCX for under $20 all over the place. If you wanted an upgrade, I'm very happy with the MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 silver-plated copper cable @$50 from Amazon. Don't toss these IEMs just because of the lackluster cable! If you're going to write them off, I'll send you a replacement cable out of my own stash for $0.00. 

-Collin-

That's a kind gesture SeeSax but i bought one from Vidal's eBay store for £13. Haha, you mentioned the only other IEM I've EVER had an issue with... the MEE Pinnacle P1. I loved the sound but they came without the little mesh (earwax guard?) panels, which i noticed after a week or so of using them. I was pretty disappointed as they were my first expensive and i felt let down that they weren't perfect (even though i doubt it made any change to the listening experience). i think i got the Dunu DN1000 as a replacement.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,762 of 5,225

Only been listening for an hour or so - like I said first impressions.  Should have a good handle on them within a few days.  Tuning take a bit to work out .......

That's funny, i was reading another of your reviews recently and just like Bavinck, I thought to myself that you wouldn't like the LZA4 as it's pretty different to the IEMs you tend to give high ratings to. Quite looking fwd to reading you final review.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,763 of 5,225

I agree, the A4 doesn't have a lot of sparkle...  It is too smooth IMO, which is an aspect I love and is a reason I have dived into new music genres that take advantage of that and the soundstage, but I do miss the sparkle I was lucky enough to experience with the Trinity Delta VII's before I had to return them for poor fit (why I have the Atlas delta on preorder).  The Delta VII sparkle was much more comparable to the Andromeda sparkle, but couldn't come close to the overall balance the Andromeda has.

You can't really have smoothness like the A4's and sparkle at the same time IMO.

This may be why I had trouble with the sound when I was trying to pick a combo that would bring the crash cymbals out a bit more without sacrificing clarity. I'm currently going Black/Grey because I love what it does for the soundstage but maybe I'll try out the Red/Grey even though I'm pretty content with most of the bass where it is.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,764 of 5,225
  Have you heard the it03?

Nope - one of the ones I haven't heard yet

That's funny, i was reading another of your reviews recently and just like Bavinck, I thought to myself that you wouldn't like the LZA4 as it's pretty different to the IEMs you tend to give high ratings to. Quite looking fwd to reading you final review.

I may not necessarily like a sound sig - but still rate it highly.  Considering its tunable, why would you think I'd not like it ......

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #2,765 of 5,225

I may not necessarily like a sound sig - but still rate it highly.  Considering its tunable, why would you think I'd not like it ......

We will see. I appreciate your approach to reviews. Even though it is tunable it does have a certain sound signature to it that doesn't really go away.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,767 of 5,225

Search google with these terms to get to Ali-X

Pure copper OCC :-

Earphone Cable Upgrade Single Crystal Copper Wire Detach Cable For Shure SE215 315 425 535 **** DT2 UE

Almost pure silver 92.5% or so (= Sterling Grade Silver) :-

X3 High Quality Sterling Silver Earphone Upgrade Cable 8 Cell For Shure SE535 SE315 SE215 SE425 SE846 UE900 Free Shipping

Hi Lohb,

Just wanted to say thank you for the above clues - specifically "SE535 SE315 SE215 SE425 SE846 UE900" which allowed me to find reasonably priced, good quality cables on TaoBao.
I'll be ordering soon, interested to see if I can hear any difference (sadly not balanced!)
Thanks again, huge help!

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,768 of 5,225

Even though it is tunable, I'm not sure any of the combos will provide you with enough bite in the upper mids. Treble is fairly consistent throughout the combos. Don't get me wrong, detail wise everything is there but it's still very fatigue free, easy listening experience. You're fairly consistent throughout your reviews and I'm curious to how you'll find the upper mids/treble

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,769 of 5,225
  They arrived (thanks to DUYU and Snuffy).

First impressions - impressive.  Will take a week for me to get used to them.  Will try and measure over the weekend.

Glad to see @duyu could lure you into the A4....  It's not too shabby
wink.gif

I have been listening to it with my X3ii--HVA rig, thanks to your "variable Line Out" input!

I'm curious to read how you think it adjusts to different sources like the HVA.
redface.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,770 of 5,225
Even though it is tunable, I'm not sure any of the combos will provide you with enough bite in the upper mids. Treble is fairly consistent throughout the combos. Don't get me wrong, detail wise everything is there but it's still very fatigue free, easy listening experience. You're fairly consistent throughout your reviews and I'm curious to how you'll find the upper mids/treble

there is the grey front filter to help bring out the mids, right?

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #2,772 of 5,225

Hi Lohb,

Just wanted to say thank you for the above clues - specifically "SE535 SE315 SE215 SE425 SE846 UE900" which allowed me to find reasonably priced, good quality cables on TaoBao.
I'll be ordering soon, interested to see if I can hear any difference (sadly not balanced!)
Thanks again, huge help!

Going balanced is a crap-shoot with multi-unit IEMs.....it may tighten things up/better imaging or it may knock the phase out.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #2,773 of 5,225
  Have you heard the it03?

The it03 is a bit like the Pinnacle.  I think it is very fit dependent.  I borrowed the it03  for a week; and never really got a proper fit going.    I went back to my LZ-A2 and FLC8S.

Funny, those are the only two IEM units (it03 and top of the Pinnacle line) that I can think of where no matter what I tried the fit just was a poor match for my ear.

Most of the time I settle in with JVC Spiral Dots (ML to be specific; Your mileage will vary!).

Of course we need to see full review from Brooko but I am encouraged that his initial impression of the LZ-A4 is positive.

I will eventually get over the Gearbest fiasco and very likely will order a pair from another vendor.  But I am interested in Brooko's thoughts first.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #2,774 of 5,225
We will see. I appreciate your approach to reviews. Even though it is tunable it does have a certain sound signature to it that doesn't really go away.

Try a pure silver single-end cable with the black back-plate for your 'wooly bass and mushy mids'.
You never answered me before on phase issues going balanced.

I'm pretty sure the phase/timing/imaging issues can be traced to bad synergy going balanced upstream.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2,775 of 5,225

Glad to see @duyu could lure you into the A4....  It's not too shabby
wink.gif

I have been listening to it with my X3ii--HVA rig, thanks to your "variable Line Out" input!

I'm curious to read how you think it adjusts to different sources like the HVA.
redface.gif

DUYU and I just lobbied wtih various people to get review units sent to Brooko.  Actually I want to get a pair to NMatheis also (I think he has a good ear also and also writes quality reviews).  So far I have not pulled that hat trick off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back