Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Nov 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #482 of 762
I used some 1/4" to RCA cables that I built for the monitor outs without issue.
Yes and I use TRS-RCAs to my speaker system. I was going to get some http://www.cardas.com/adaptors.php to save buying XLR ICs. The vendor wants %35 more for XLR on their ICs than the standard RCA ICs. Cable price is already $500.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #483 of 762
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #487 of 762
The price issue was answered.  It's mostly a VAT thing.  Bummer for europeans.  Anyway, I do like the Bel Canto.  Have had a PrePRo of theirs (their only HT solution in the past) and was quite smitten with the sound quality and the build quality.  

Also quite a bummer on the USB vs Thunderbolt thing.  Though, is there actually a performance upgrade when it comes to audio when switching from USB to thunderbolt (other than price)?  Since most thunderbolt equipped macs also have USB, I'd stick with that one.  

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #488 of 762
Neither am I. I received the news in an e-mail from the Norwegian importer which I bought my Lynx Hilo from, and then searched for some information before writing a post about it on the Norwegian forum Hifisentralen and on Head-Fi. 

If I haven't misunderstood the information I received and the information on the Lynx site I linked to, anyone can buy the Lynx LT-TB Thunderbolt LSlot Interface for Lynx Hilo and install it themselves. If the Hilo already has a card installed (ie. USB), you must remove it before the new card can be installed.

The Lynx LT-TB Thunderbolt LSlot Interface needs a new firmware version. I don't know whether one may run the firmware update after installation of the new card or it should be performed before card swap.

I'm under the impression that the Thunderbolt interface/protocol have much higher bandwidth and hence can cater for a lot of high resolution channels at the same time. You can also chain several Thunderbolt units and use them in consert.

I think I saw somebody writing about (possible) reduced latency as well.

I assume that most two channel listeners are well off with the USB card, but I may be wrong.
For those that haven't gone through the thread about the TB board.

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #490 of 762
If it really makes a difference, then I'd rather wait for the USB3 one since it will most likely be cheaper and still have a high bandwidth.  

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #491 of 762
  If it really makes a difference, then I'd rather wait for the USB3 one since it will most likely be cheaper and still have a high bandwidth.  

There is no USB3 Audio standard AFAIK, so it can be a long wait. Lynx just need a better USB2 implementation, async, something based on XMOS or Amanero.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #493 of 762

There is no USB3 Audio standard AFAIK, so it can be a long wait. Lynx just need a better USB2 implementation, async, something based on XMOS or Amanero.

A liitle bit of homework goes a long way:

Bandwith shouldn't be a problem for (normal) 2 channel playback. From the Lynx Hilo manual page 35:
 The LT-USB that comes with Hilo has two modes of operation: 
• 16 Channel operation – 16 input and 16 output channels at sample rates to 96 kHz 
• 8 Channel operation – 8 input and 8 output channels at sample rates to 192 kHz 
8 channel operation is the default

Jitter
From the Lynx Hilo product page:
The Lynx LT-USB LSlot accessory is also included, for computer connectivity. Lynx’s low jitter SynchroLock word clock is also included, with Word Clock in and out connections available. 

Please see "Asynchronous USB" below as well.

About Lynx LT-USB:
Utilizes Lynx Studio Technology’s proprietary SynchroLock™ technology to virtually eliminate USB bus jitter when slaving Aurora to USB 

Asynchronous USB
From the Lynx Support Forum thread "Hilo":

On November/27/2011 at 9:22am David A. Hoatson, Lynx Studio Technology, Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer posted:
The LT-USB is the device that provides the USB connection for the Hilo - so the question would be about the LT-USB (which is already shipping for the Aurora).  The LT-USB uses asynchronous synchronization mode which combined with our SynchroLock technology, gives an extremely low jitter clock for the Hilo and Aurora. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #494 of 762

Then why is there an XMOS chip on the Lynx LT-USB interface?

Is there, weird?
Reports indicate that it's quite poor implementation
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison/150#post_9999315

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #495 of 762
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]
Is there, weird?
Reports indicate that it's quite poor implementation
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison/150#post_9999315

There are quiet a few contradictory observations and measurements that indicate that Lynx LT-USB actually is very good. They're written by both people from the professional audio world and hifi.

I tried to read a Google translation of one Chinese report/review a few days ago, but gave up.

I suspect that this may be caused by hifi nervosa and/or preferences/taste quiet different from neutral. The latter is OK, but some people aren't very open about their preferences, and just write that something is good or bad without any reference to their own preferences/taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back