Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Feb 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #691 of 762
I received my Hilo and I ran it through the paces.  I had some technical issues where the connection would drop between J River and the Hilo requiring a reboot and re-connect.  I was up-sampling using DSP in J River.  I also tried to send DSD over DoP and there were some strange digital artifacts that did not sound as good as the original source.  Finally I set J River to send the signal with no change and the connection still dropped after some time.  The USB cable I have is a Wywires USB Silver cable and it worked perfectly for two years with my prior DAC.

The Hilo is a technical marvel and sounds great when it is working; however, I am unwilling to invest time troubleshooting to make it work.  I had my Furutech Esprit work flawlessly for two years without a single issue. 

Soundpure, the company I purchased my Hilo from, is outstanding.  I worked with Chuck Giardino and he was very helpful and patient.  I would not hesitate to purchase products from them.  Paul from Hilo Technical Support was also extremely helpful and will be there to support you if you purchase a Hilo.
I had a problem with my display and had to send it in twice. But they did fix it. Send it back and let them do their magic.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #692 of 762
  Hate to hear about your troubles, Greg!! Was Chuck able to get you up and running, or are you throwing in the towel?

I will continue to experiment with the Hilo over the weekend and see what I determine.  It sounds great and I will be disappointed if I cannot make it work in my system.  I think I may have found the issue but I need to play music a sufficient amount of time without a dropout before I claim victory.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #694 of 762
  I will continue to experiment with the Hilo over the weekend and see what I determine.  It sounds great and I will be disappointed if I cannot make it work in my system.  I think I may have found the issue but I need to play music a sufficient amount of time without a dropout before I claim victory.

Let us know how you get on, bud. One other potential place to get help would be the J. River forum-- there are a ton of highly knowledgeable people on there, and somebody might be able to steer you in the right direction. I've only had to go to them twice (that I can remember), but I got an impressive amount of help and resolved my issue both times.

Sounds like you might have a problematic unit, but it's more likely (IME, anyway) that it's just a setting or driver issue somewhere, and tracking those down can be time-consuming and not exactly fun.

Of course, if you'd like our feedback, feel free to post the specifics of your issue here, and we can try to point you in the right direction!! Lynx and J. River are frankly probably going to be better resources, but we'd be glad to help if possible :wink:.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #696 of 762
For anyone not aware, firmware update 7.0 is out. Real time spectrum analyzer can now be used instead of meters.
popcorn.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #699 of 762
is anyone of you guys using Hilo on Mac + DSD files?
I have got some latency issues, pops from time to time.

I tested DSD playback (Foobar2000) on Windows (BootCamp) - no issues.

BTW I added Yellowtec PUC2 Lite (USB to AES converter) to the rig... it's awesome.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #704 of 762
  I've got the TB version on loan until the 19th. Amazed by it. Probably will purchase after. 

great!
It's amazing unit. 
As I mentioned before I paired mine with USB to AES converter. 
It's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back