Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #676 of 762
I'm wondering what are others' experiences with DSD, especially using foobar2000. I got it going by trial and error, as I couldn't find any info on setting up f2k for Hilo. The sound is fantastic, but at rather high latency and sometimes gets interrupted by other processes.

If someone has a stable low latency setup, it would be great to hear about it!

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #677 of 762
  I'm wondering what are others' experiences with DSD, especially using foobar2000. I got it going by trial and error, as I couldn't find any info on setting up f2k for Hilo. The sound is fantastic, but at rather high latency and sometimes gets interrupted by other processes.

Try playing with the buffer settings in Hilo Control panel. I settled on "Reliable" with 1024 samples for the ASIO buffer. I presume you're working with ASIO. No problems on my end with 24/96 content. I'm not sure if DSD is more demanding on the USB connection in terms of through-put.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #678 of 762

Thanks for defining the sound signature and clarifying that the transparency is not to be mistaken with etched.  Your description aligns with my sound signature preferences.  For example, I have open baffle speakers and digital correction because that lends to an accurate sound that resembles live music to me. 

I had a chance to correspond with someone I know who has heard lots of audio gear and I was surprised to find out they own the Hilo.  That is a testament in my eyes. 

I am receiving a brand new Hilo, not a demo unit.  My card will have a purchase hold and it will be charged through if I decide to keep the Hilo. 

I am glad to hear that you have been happy with the Hilo once the newness wore off.  I am finally at the point where most my components are that way for me so I hope to add the Hilo to my roster of keepers.

I saw that the FW is user upgradeable so I am anxious to see what is released.  Maybe DSD128?

FWIW I'm getting excellent results with the Hilo and my OB speakers.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #679 of 762

Try playing with the buffer settings in Hilo Control panel. I settled on "Reliable" with 1024 samples for the ASIO buffer. I presume you're working with ASIO. No problems on my end with 24/96 content. I'm not sure if DSD is more demanding on the USB connection in terms of through-put.

Thanks for that suggestion OJNeg. My USB buffer is already set to Safe/4096 samples. According to the Hilo manual, DSD requires 176.4 kHz sampling rate, so it is quite demanding. But with my current setup I can play 24/192 tracks and not a single glitch, while DSD has these micro-breaks that sound like sand sifting when the PC is under heavy load. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #680 of 762

I have a dual PCs setup using JPLAY and have no problem playing DSD dsf file.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #681 of 762
Has anyone used a USB multiport into the HIlo? If you wanted to use a couple different computers to play through the Hilo to the main system.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #682 of 762
I have my Hilo on order and I am waiting to receive it.  I cannot wait to hear it in my system.  I should get it the end of next week or first thing the following week.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #683 of 762
Greg,

Welcome to the party. Did you get it from our contact in this thread? They were offering a nice discount for Head Fiers.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #687 of 762
Congrats, Greg!! Definitely let us know what you think once you get it in!!

beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #688 of 762
Balanced out is the best sound IMO. If you don't have balanced inputs to your amp, you can order an XLR to RCA adapter from Lynx for under $15.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #689 of 762
I received my Hilo and I ran it through the paces.  I had some technical issues where the connection would drop between J River and the Hilo requiring a reboot and re-connect.  I was up-sampling using DSP in J River.  I also tried to send DSD over DoP and there were some strange digital artifacts that did not sound as good as the original source.  Finally I set J River to send the signal with no change and the connection still dropped after some time.  The USB cable I have is a Wywires USB Silver cable and it worked perfectly for two years with my prior DAC.

The Hilo is a technical marvel and sounds great when it is working; however, I am unwilling to invest time troubleshooting to make it work.  I had my Furutech Esprit work flawlessly for two years without a single issue. 

Soundpure, the company I purchased my Hilo from, is outstanding.  I worked with Chuck Giardino and he was very helpful and patient.  I would not hesitate to purchase products from them.  Paul from Hilo Technical Support was also extremely helpful and will be there to support you if you purchase a Hilo.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #690 of 762
Hate to hear about your troubles, Greg!! Was Chuck able to get you up and running, or are you throwing in the towel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back