Lowest octave missing on the HD650?
Jun 18, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 34

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Those endless debate amp is amp !

I guess a Mark Levinson or Krell amp will sound the same as Carver or Nad amp. 
darthsmile.gif
 I gave up these kind of debate so many moons ago.    

But I thought the E9 could drive anything and exposed amps like the apache, b22, wa5 and wa6se as not offering significant improvements? This guy here told me so.
blink.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #18 of 34
You don't get really deep bass - the lowest octave - on any headphone. The drivers just aren't big enough. The lowest octave is hard to achieve even with speakers.

I might not be one of the bassheads around here, but I do have a thing for bass. I spent several years playing the tuba and bass clarinet. Even played a bit on the contralto clarinet. That's real bass. My favorite frames of bass reference are a couple of pipe organs: the one in the Disney Concert Hall and the Mighty Wurlitzer in El Segundo. I'm not sure of the specs at Disney, but the Mighty Wurlitzer goes down to 12Hz or so. It doesn't rumble, it's more of a visceral feel that I haven't heard any audio system achieve.

Which is why I don't like closed headphones with artifical bass and reflections. They don't sound like the real thing. Anyone curious about this, go find a recital on a real pipe organ. Quite a few churches have them, so if one is near you, go listen. Lots of them will knock off some of Bach's sacred music and other musical treats. Well worth seeking out - trust me. When you hear deep pedal tones in real life, your bass perspective will change. :)

Also, I'm solidly in the amp camp with the HD-650. The better the amp, the better it sounds. Get to a meet and check out some good amps. The HD-650 is deep and clean. It won't do the last octave, but it's awfully good for a headphone.

If anyone is curious about truly deep bass from a speaker system, Google Nelson Pass' El Pipe-O project. I'd love to build a pair of those some day. Probably when I build a custom listening room, if that ever happens. :D

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #19 of 34
The most textured bass I've ever heard was from a closed Audio Technica W11R (not to be confused with the W11JPN which as more bass but much less detailed) and the Audeze LCD 2. If it wasn't for the LCD2's shelved treble, I'd have a pair of LCD2s.

Generally, I find that open dynamic headphones cannot reproduce the correct volume of sub-bass. They can be textured but the volume is almost always too quiet.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #20 of 34
Why... you're not happy with the sub of the 800? Most of the time you'll get better bass resolution from hps Vs speakers, and again the hps will have better bass resolution but not bigger bass as the speakers. Most of the hps are already obtain acoustic treatment like in the studio control room, and this why AKG developed the DF Diffuse-field.

Bass rumble is a side effect of a room without any acoustic treatment, bass trap can help to control the bass, here is more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_trap

BTW, for speakers you can just add a sub that fit well to your system.

Quote:
You don't get really deep bass - the lowest octave - on any headphone.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 34

Quote:
The most textured bass I've ever heard was from a closed Audio Technica W11R (not to be confused with the W11JPN which as more bass but much less detailed) and the Audeze LCD 2. If it wasn't for the LCD2's shelved treble, I'd have a pair of LCD2s.

Generally, I find that open dynamic headphones cannot reproduce the correct volume of sub-bass. They can be textured but the volume is almost always too quiet.

1. Same here about the LCD2.
2. Dynamic drivers can reproduce great bass, but you'll need a good amp.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 34
You guys are all saying that only the sub bass (rumble) is lower vs the M50. Yet I find that the mid-bass 'punch' (in kick drums and the like) are also more distant-sounding and lack impact in the HD650 than in the M50.

That doesn't sound like I have a normal HD650? Because most people say the HD650 is RENOWNED for the mid-bass hump.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
You guys are all saying that only the sub bass (rumble) is lower vs the M50. Yet I find that the mid-bass 'punch' (in kick drums and the like) are also more distant-sounding and lack impact in the HD650 than in the M50.

That doesn't sound like I have a normal HD650? Because most people say the HD650 is RENOWNED for the mid-bass hump.

Honestly, everything about it's sound is laid back. My experience was the same as yours, so I highly doubt it's defective. If you don't enjoy it, I would just return it and try something else.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #27 of 34
No you probably do have a right hd650.  I have a DT990 600ohm which has said to have some of the most punchy and impactful mid-bass on the market-- even moreso than HD650, but I didn't find it to be that much of a case vs the M50.  It's head-fi, and people like to exaggerate.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #28 of 34
If you some serious bass impact then look toward ultrasone. It won't be the same deep bass extension of the hd650s but it will hit and it will hit hard.

I'm preparing to move from my pro 900s to my just ordered hd650s. For me I go a few weeks listening to electronic bass heavy music and then a month listening to soft and accoustic genres that just don't sound natural on my 900s yet lack body and weight on my k701. I'm expecting the hd650 to be a good in between.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

I found a well broken in 650 didn't have that noticeable of a hump because the sound was so laid back

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #30 of 34
The bass on the HD650 does roll off the lowest few octaves.  No amp will fix that unless it has some sort of built-in EQ or some other sort of non linear FR.

There aren't many open 'phones that do any better though.  There's the K601 and the new orthos and that's all I know of.

It's not to hard to fix with some EQ though.  The 650s respond well to it and are efficient enough you won't stress your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back