Lowest octave missing on the HD650?
Jun 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #31 of 34
ok, so it seems that alot of people who have actually a/b'd the dt880 2005 and the hd650 say the bass is very similar but the lower mids are more pronounced on the hd650 - thus leading to a noticeably more weighty sound. Is that accurate?

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:
bump on that last point - do you guys find that it's mainly the lower mids of the hd650 that are more prominent than in the dt880 - or is it actually the bass?

Its a little of both to my ears.

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #34 of 34
Hello Bassophile. This is all about horses for courses and your 'handle' says it all. What you like (and want to hear) is a sound where the bass is emphasised over everything else. You will not get that with a open HP, you have to go to closed cans where the sound can be more easily tailored to suit your tastes and in this respect the M50s do the job quite well.

However, if you emphasise one part of the frequency spectrum, the harmonic effect of doing so will alter other parts so it's a swings and roundabouts situation and this is where the M50's suffer as has been pointed out in so many other threads on this forum.

The best test of true bass definition, as another poster has stated, is organ music. With the M50s I can certainly hear the rumble of a 32 ft organ pipe, but I can't hear a defined note. With my HD580s (similar to the 650s) I can hear that the note is a D or an F. To me that is more important than the visceral experience of low end rumble. For you it appears to be the opposite and that's OK because it's that type of sound you want to experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back