Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Feb 28, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #9,031 of 9,243
Thanks for the Hakugei recommendations. I really like their style. I bought one of them today and the rep was very helpful in letting me customize it.

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005004986250848.html
This is the base, but I wanted a 2.5mm balanced right-angle connector with a 65cm cable. Those were free customizations, but I also upgraded to a nicer looking plug/splitter/mmcx style to raise the price by about half.
This is great to hear. I've been buying Hakugei cables recently and they ARE worth the extra few dollars. They usually come in a nice case too.

The Big Rice you bought is one of my favorite cables of all time. Super comfortable and the 6N is really pure and I can really hear it.

I'm saving up for the Interligent Star, the 7N OCC copper cable that has been cryo/cold rolled afterwards. It has 5 plug options too or whatever you want for a decent price for $100. And the Ancient Vine for $110 looks nice. And the Turtle 🐢🤤 And Healer.

For around the $40-$60 mark and pure OCC copper, the Lucky Voice (7N, no earhooks - $40), the Saja (6N 2 different conductor diameters and swappable plugs - $45-65), the Lothar (my FAVORITE OCC copper cable (7N, amazing insulation and it has 4 cores of cotton in each core of cables in every core), gives it a really unique and dark background because there's something soft between the cores of conductors - $60) and a bunch of others that are Silver Plated OCC copper.

I like the Galaxy too. Been wanting it for my Celest PhoenixCall tri-brids as they definitely sound best with SPOCC to ME👍

Thanks for the info about customization too!

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #9,032 of 9,243
Actually, plating the copper with silver or other alloys has other purposes too. Most of the soundwaves signal once transferred to electricity travels on the OUTSIDE of the conductor, and since silver is the best METAL conductor, it's a cheap way to get a little better sound and more resolution, while also protecting the copper underneath. But a cheaply made SPC/SPOCC cable can initially sound great and then once the initial amazement wears off, it gets fatiguing and never gets used again. You can spend as little as $20 and get a truly great cable, just gotta know where to look and who to buy from!

Skin effect is a non issue even at 100kHz. Video signal is a different beast tho.

Ok so, OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast, founded in 1985 in China by Professor Ohno) / Mono crystalline Copper and silver are the "purest", because they barely have any crystal/grain boundaries in them, refracting the transmission and audio. So the lesser the crystal or grain boundaries, the lesser the refraction and signal loss. Less boundaries = better transmission quality. In OCC extrusion, the conductors can be a SINGLE crystal for up to 125m vs just a few feet for OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) only copper. And the crystal boundaries are even worse in pure copper than OFC. The OCC/mono crystalline extrusion method is done differently than OFC and every other kind of extrusion method. It's still SLOWLY heated as it cools and is being extruded, vs it being done at room temperature for OFC (i think that's how OFC is done). My specialty is in OCC copper and silver.

In a 120cm cable OCC vs OFC is not noticeable if both cables are made equally well.

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #9,033 of 9,243
If you have $400 to spend, the Aful Performer 8 are my top pick, EASILY blowing away my old Campfire Audio Andromeda's and Dorado's that I paid $1,100 and $1,000 for, respectfully, back in 2018. The highs on these DO sound like electrostatics. Aful Acoustics have REAL and PROVEN patents, that are just cleverly hyped wording, and I can't wait to try the rest of their lineup. Best highs and resolution I've ever heard. A +3db bass boost is perfect on my Shanling Audio M5s DAP 🙏 You'd have to spend considerable more money than this to get something "better". These will probably be my ENDGAME IEM's. Simply no reason to buy anything else, and with cable swaps, I can slightly change their sound signature 😉🎧
I am...surprised? I am sitting here while listening to my SoundRhyme DTE500 while I am blown away by the resolution they can playback the music. A dd+ba hybrid that can outperform this set sounds too good. Dont forget that my DTE500 have actual EST drivers inside them. How would the P8 compare for example against the Moondrop Variations? My DTE500 can trade blows with a Variations.

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #9,034 of 9,243
New cable day!!!

Photo Nov 27 2023, 11 53 19 AM.jpg

From top to right, left to right, they are the MeetAlice, FirstTouch, AceOrpheus, BlackCat 8w, OurLaura and BlackSoul.
Only listened to the AceOrpheus and BlackSoul so far (because look at how beautiful they are), and I like what I'm hearing. They sound different but in a good way.
I'll try to listen to them over the week but pls ask if you need a comparison of any particular ones for Cyber Monday purchases.
Three months later, the cable that gets the most ear time is actually BlackCat 4w. The more expensive cables are just too heavy. My ears hurt from hanging them. Will probably list them for sale soon.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #9,035 of 9,243
Three months later, the cable that gets the most ear time is actually BlackCat 4w. The more expensive cables are just too heavy. My ears hurt from hanging them. Will probably list them for sale soon.
Dang, 3.5mm?

I agree that the BlackCat 4w is really nice. It's one of my favorites, but I think a nice upgrade to it is the Tripowin Altea. It's also warm but has more resolution and dynamics, though the BlackCat does seem to make the soundstage a tiny bit wider. The Altea is also lighter and easier to handle.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #9,036 of 9,243
This looks like it will fit my only IEM pretty nicely. Bought, thanks!
NiceHCK IcyMoon came today, but it doesn't fit. I'm not sure if it is a NiceHck problem or a Hifiman problem though. The 2-pin connector on the cable has the small indentation where it should, but it seems like the connector is just slightly too large to fit the Svanar. I could probably try to force it, but I am not going to.

I don't have any other 2-pin IEMs that I can test on, so I guess I'll just keep the cable around until the day that I do, or recycle it for a DIY project.

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #9,037 of 9,243
NiceHCK IcyMoon came today, but it doesn't fit. I'm not sure if it is a NiceHck problem or a Hifiman problem though. The 2-pin connector on the cable has the small indentation where it should, but it seems like the connector is just slightly too large to fit the Svanar. I could probably try to force it, but I am not going to.

I don't have any other 2-pin IEMs that I can test on, so I guess I'll just keep the cable around until the day that I do, or recycle it for a DIY project.
After doing some searching around, I found that it is definitely a Hifiman problem and not a cable problem.

Apparently carefully sanding the cable connector should work, so I'll try that.

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #9,038 of 9,243
Hi, guys ! I'm considering a cable purchase ... Would you share your thoughts and experience , conserning these 2 , please ?
I would be using it with Hifiman HE400SE and later on with Sundara or Ananda, with FiiO BTR7 .
The 252 is almost 3x the price of the 512. Is it worth it ?

ivipQ-252 Modular Sterling Silver Palladium+5N Sterling Silver
1. Product name: ivipQ-252 Medusa
2. Brand name: ivipQ
3. Weaving process: cross weaving
4. Conductor: 5N pure silver+silver palladium
5. Number of cores; Single 122 cores (5N pure silver 92 cores)+(silver palladium 30 cores)
6. Skin material: PVC
7. Length: 1.25 meters

and

ivipQ-512 High Purity Silver Palladium
1. Product Name: ivipQ-512
2. Brand: ivipQ
3. Model:High purity silver palladium earphone upgrade cable
4. Conductor:High purity silver palladium
5. Single Strand Diameter: 1.4mm
6. Cable Structure: LITZ
7. Skin Material: PVC
8. Length: 1.25m

Thanks a lot !

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #9,039 of 9,243
Hi, guys ! I'm considering a cable purchase ... Would you share your thoughts and experience , conserning these 2 , please ?
I would be using it with Hifiman HE400SE and later on with Sundara or Ananda, with FiiO BTR7 .

5. Number of cores; Single 122 cores (5N pure silver 92 cores)+(silver palladium 30 cores)

and

Thanks a lot !
These are bright and detailed cables - not a bad thing, so long as that is what you want.

ivipQ has great customer service, so it is worth just asking what the differences are. The module system is part of the difference in cost, as are the higher quality components, but the maker is probably best suited to tell you more.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #9,040 of 9,243

and

Thanks a lot !
was looking at the 252 mainly because it is a shielded cable. Might wait and see if the discount coupon comes back again for this.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #9,041 of 9,243
IMG_4085.jpeg

NiceHCK BlackCat, OrangeSir and PurpleSE. Nothing new to this thread, only that I had the opportunity to scoop them up for under $10 each and they recently arrived.

OrangeSir: Relatively forward compared to the other 2, especially in the mids, but less treble extension/air up top. Comes across as a bit less resolving than the other 2, but still perfectly capable.

PurpleSE: Best mids and the most airy, relaxed natural tonality of the 3.

This is in fact my second attempt at getting a PurpleSE - the first had sound cutting out on one side, only that I’d bought it at a heavy discount as well and never bothered taking it up with them.

BlackCat: The most engaging of the three. Bit more peaky, gives the impression of slight graininess where the PurpleSE is smooth. More bass thump.

Bonus: Blackcat Ultra (which I already own). I don’t hear the highs being as peaky as OG BlackCat but the lows don’t go as low as well. Feels like they reined everything in a bit. Bit more resolving (though certainly not twice as much).

I can see myself using and recommending all 3. My favourite of the 3 is PurpleSE, if only because it aligns with my current preferences. I can see BlackCat appealing to those who want a more contrasty sound with more energy and bite.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #9,042 of 9,243
Hi guys, I've read a couple of dozen pages of this thread but still have a few questions.

Want replacement cable for my Olina SE. 3.5mm .78 2 pin. The OG cable feels stiff and plasticy to me, and bothers me. The sound of it is fine, as I swapped in the cable from my Thieaudio Hype2 and couldn't hear a difference. I listen through iPhone dongle, and Macbook Air headphone jack. I don't listen while exercising or walking, so weight isn't a consideration.

Only SPC:
Since both my Olina SE and my Hype2 come with SPC material, and I really like how both sound, I feel confident about SPC and don't want to trial another material. No pure silver, no SPC mixed with OCC, no SPC mixed with pure silver, no alloys, no gold, no graphene, etc. Colors I like are white/silver and light blue.

I'm looking at, in order of price net of coupons and shipping, pre-tax:

- Tripowin Zonie, blue color. $18, Amazon
- XINHS 8 Cores 5N, color white/blue mix, $25, AliX
- TRI Through 5N, color silver, $25 AliX
- ivipQ-525 7N, color white, $33, AliX
- NiceHCK DeepSnow , color white, $50, AliX

Removed after additional thought:
- NiceHCK Jialai JLY3, color light grey, $17, AliX (at this price point I can buy from Zonie from Amazon)
- NiceHCK Whitesky Cable 6N , color blue, $30, AliX (marketing and reviews say emphasizes HF)
- FENGRU 610 Core Litz , color med. blue, $35, AliX (reviews mention rolled off HF)

Lastly, I really like the look and especially the feel of the Thieaudio EST cable that came with my Hype2, but don't really feel that a $70 cable makes sense on the Olina, a $100 IEM .

My thinking right now is between the Zonie and the Whitesky, for different reasons. I assume Zonie doesn't have any flaws as it looks like thousands have been sold and there are good reviews. The Whitesky seems higher quality, with the 6N claim, but who know what is real and what is just marketing, and I wouldn't be able to hear any difference. I really hope the Zonie doesn't feel as cheap, thin, and stiff as the Olina OG cable, also from Tripowin.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #9,043 of 9,243
Hi guys, I've read a couple of dozen pages of this thread but still have a few questions.

Want replacement cable for my Olina SE. 3.5mm .78 2 pin. The OG cable feels stiff and plasticy to me, and bothers me. The sound of it is fine, as I swapped in the cable from my Thieaudio Hype2 and couldn't hear a difference. I listen through iPhone dongle, and Macbook Air headphone jack. I don't listen while exercising or walking, so weight isn't a consideration.

Since both my Olina SE and my Hype2 come with SPC material, and I really like how both sound, I feel confident about SPC and don't want to trial another material. No pure silver, no SPC mixed with OCC, no SPC mixed with pure silver, no alloys, no gold, no graphene, etc. Colors I like are white/silver and light blue.

- NiceHCK Jialai JLY3, color light grey, $17, AliX
- NiceHCK Whitesky Cable 6N , color blue, $30, AliX
- FENGRU 610 Core Litz , color med. blue, $35, AliX

Lastly, I really like the look and especially the feel of the Thieaudio EST cable that came with my Hype2, but don't really feel that a $70 cable makes sense on the Olina, a $100 IEM .

My thinking right now is between the Zonie and the Whitesky, for different reasons. I assume Zonie doesn't have any flaws as it looks like thousands have been sold and there are good reviews. The Whitesky seems higher quality, with the 6N claim, but who know what is real and what is just marketing, and I wouldn't be able to hear any difference. I really hope the Zonie doesn't feel as cheap, thin, and stiff as the Olina OG cable, also from Tripowin.
Only tried the Jialai and the Zonie. The Jialai is a thicker cloth, the Zonie is like regular cable material, just wrapped with smaller strands. There's lots of these strands, so it doesn't feel thin at all.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #9,044 of 9,243

- NiceHCK Jialai JLY3, color light grey, $17, AliX
- NiceHCK Whitesky Cable 6N , color blue, $30, AliX
- FENGRU 610 Core Litz , color med. blue, $35, AliX

I can give a few impressions of the ones I have:

The Jialai is nice enough but does nothing particular sonically.

The Whitesky is significantly more premium in feel, but the silver plating gives it a noticeably brighter and more detailed sound.

I have three of those Fengru 610s. They are thick and a little stiff, with slightly reduced treble.

DeepSnow. I have 2 of these. Slightly richer tone, without and loss of details. My favourite of the 4 in this reply.

Can’t really comment on the others as I have not tried them.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #9,045 of 9,243
I can give a few impressions of the ones I have:

The Jialai is nice enough but does nothing particular sonically.

The Whitesky is significantly more premium in feel, but the silver plating gives it a noticeably brighter and more detailed sound.

I have three of those Fengru 610s. They are thick and a little stiff, with slightly reduced treble.

DeepSnow. I have 2 of these. Slightly richer tone, without and loss of details. My favourite of the 4 in this reply.

Can’t really comment on the others as I have not tried them.
Deepsnow vs snowcat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back