Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Sep 1, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #4,832 of 9,186
Have any of you guys tried a gold plated copper cable? I’ve never tried a gold plated cable, and I’m not sure how it compares to pure silver, pure copper, SPC, etc.
Actual gold plated cable gonna be on the mid fi cable thread. Just posted recently.

New to the thread. Blingy but substantial. Yes fellas just when you thought it wasn't fashionable to dawn some bling around your neck

Mr T shure thought it was happening. Whats good for Mr T is good for you.
1598825276060.png

DSC07495.JPG GD849 more cables in the acclaimed 849 series of cables from Penon.
18K gold plating on a higher end OCC copper. Thick and substantial you know these will have some weight. Maybe the heaviest cable I have ever used.

What does all that gold do for your sonics you may ask? Gold from my previous experience adds to an earphone a richer darker tone to the sonics. With the substantial weave process of the 849 cables. Adding perhaps the most depth of any cable I have ever used. Music sounds deep rich warm while adding a substantial amount of fullness.This one is much less about detail and more about getting them tones to be rich in nature, fuller grander in scale.

This one is going to be more of a niche cable but for what it is. Earphones needing some musical injection these cables does just this. Bigger fuller with a rich body of sound. Will have more to add in my review of them once I get done writing about them.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #4,833 of 9,186
I was looking for a cable which will bump midrange a bit for Sony IER-ZR1, this IEM is a bit v shaped and some tracks vocals is bit muffed.

Not sure it can be fixed by cable change, please suggest.

These cables dont cost much but due to their 849 structure enhnaces mid bands and retains stock imaging and detail. They arent that exensive either. One of the absolute best cables for the money. Try a Penon OS849 cable. https://penonaudio.com/penon-os849.html
1598984106279.png

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #4,837 of 9,186
Okay, first off, I‘m not great at analyzing/reviewing cables. Most of the time, I don’t hear much of a difference, but on rare occasions, I do notice a significant change in sound. Using the TRN T3 on the se846 was one such occasion. Unfortunately, the left IEM connection wasn’t stable. The se846 is a sensitive all-BA IEM, and it is picky about sources, especially regarding output impedance. I wonder if it is more sensitive to cables than most DD IEMs?

This is a very rough comparison, and are only one person’s basic perceptions. I typically use the stock clear/white kevlar Shure cable b/c I also use this IEM as a stage monitor, and that cable works best for me. I’ve tried the Tripowin C8 and Zonie 16 cables with the se846, and found that they work well, and sound good, but not noticeably different from the stock. I just tried the NiceHCK silver 4 core Litz cable with the se846, right after listening with the stock cable. I didn’t notice any improvement, and in fact, it may sound ever so slightly darker, though the bass seemed a tiny bit more potent. The only cable that made me really take notice with the se846 was the TRN T3. It seemed to improve clarity, dynamics, transient response, and treble some. That being said, it was not a massive change, just a fine tuning, like if you were to use better ear tips. I didn’t directly compare the NiceHCK cable with the TRN T3 cable b/c I really don’t want to change out the MMCX cable any more, unless I need to. I guess the cable resistance could be the reason for the perceived sonic differences between these silver cables?

Today i got mt TRN T3, and after listening to few of my favourite songs with it on my SE846, have to say...i really liked the improvements. Thank you for the recommendations

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #4,838 of 9,186
How about this one since i'm looking for balanced cable only to fully utilise the power of btr5 https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40003...i15U1k2Q2VEaGpzeTJzS3dNMUo5VlllLS1EWk9reDhPSA..
You can choose whatever termination you like on that Rhythm cable. Balanced or single ended. All these cables you can choose. I actually have one of them Rhythm cables and the FH3. I can't say how your cable you linked to will synergize with the FH3 but I do know the Rhythm cable does.

Actually I think them 16 core cables are very similar to the NiceHCK version of the same cable. Go with them Rhythm cables.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #4,839 of 9,186
20200902_151501.jpg

20200902_151636.jpg

20200902_151737.jpg

20200902_151757.jpg

20200902_151815(1).jpg

Cheap, looks very nice and very good build quality :thumbsup:

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #4,840 of 9,186
Sep 3, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #4,841 of 9,186
Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #4,843 of 9,186
Also I guess cable choice for headphones doesn't matter much... Does it?
Oh it does, comparing stock to my hybrid cables on my sundara the soundstage is wider and clearer with better bass control.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #4,844 of 9,186
Oh it does, comparing stock to my hybrid cables on my sundara the soundstage is wider and clearer with better bass control.
I meant more about the comfort part to be honest. Since it's a headphone, the cable makes little contact if any with my head and as result I probably don't need the most comfortable cable ever.

I wonder what this means for the MMCX female connector that I want to solder in... My soldering skills will probably be the biggest bottleneck.

And if anyone has reviewed any RY cables so far.

Edit: Search engine finds nothing for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back