Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Aug 27, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #4,801 of 9,223
That’s the point of litz cable; every strand is enameled, which completely seals it from exposure to air.

Also, gold is inert; it lasts forever and doesn’t oxidize. That’s why they made the record in the Voyager gold plated copper :)

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/
Well yes but actually no.

There is no air in space remember?

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #4,802 of 9,223
Cables are a bit tricky. Just because something cost a lot and looks premium does not mean it is the best suited for your particular earphone. A lot of times my cheaper Aliexpress bought cables end up being perfect for a more expensive earphone I own vs the more premium cables. It all depends on how the cable influences and meshes with the sonic character of the earphone.

Having a variety of types of cables is a good thing to have just because of this. You never know which of your cables will be exactly what your earphone needs until you try it.

There is no exact science behind sound synergy and cables but if you have a good idea of what a pure copper cable vs silver and a mix there of usually does for earphones that is a good starting point.
Oh that's not what I meant, I was asking if there are silver counterparts to the SPOCC cables.

Like if SPOCC is a super copper cable, is there a super silver cable?

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #4,804 of 9,223
Well yes but actually no.

There is no air in space remember?

Yes, but there’s lots of other stuff in space. The gold plated disc was designed to last 1 billion years without any degradation. A lot of stuff they send in space is gold plated. It’s not because of space bling. It’s for protection.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #4,805 of 9,223
guess "litz" term can be applied to geometry of the strands, and also applied to individual enameling of strands into each core to electrically isolate them (this is different to plating the strands, which prevents oxidation but doesn't isolate electrically them).
there are many variants in litz geometry, but most of the iem cables we find now use some kind of litz geometry.
you can use different materials to enamel the strands, but litz enameling is only found in some of the cables you find nowadays.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #4,806 of 9,223
Yes, but there’s lots of other stuff in space. The gold plated disc was designed to last 1 billion years without any degradation. A lot of stuff they send in space is gold plated. It’s not because of space bling. It’s for protection.
Yeah the gold plating is not for protection against oxidation, but to protect against heat fluctuations in space and act as shielding against strong electromagnetic waves and radiation belts in space.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #4,807 of 9,223
Aug 28, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #4,808 of 9,223
I always had this though and I kept forgetting like 4 times until reminded by now. I wonder what prevents IEM cables from being fitted with 2.5/3.5mm TRS jacks so they can be used on headphones? (the ones that plug on both sides anyway). Or maybe just no one cares. It's not like headphones need so much power that the cables will melt. (or can they?) or have higher resistance.

But then again I think headphones don't really benefit for the extra flexibility of the IEM cables since they don't have to touch your head like IEM cables do...

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #4,809 of 9,223
I always had this though and I kept forgetting like 4 times until reminded by now. I wonder what prevents IEM cables from being fitted with 2.5/3.5mm TRS jacks so they can be used on headphones? (the ones that plug on both sides anyway). Or maybe just no one cares. It's not like headphones need so much power that the cables will melt. (or can they?) or have higher resistance.

But then again I think headphones don't really benefit for the extra flexibility of the IEM cables since they don't have to touch your head like IEM cables do...
What do you mean? What kind of cables?

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #4,812 of 9,223

Imagine a Tripowin Zonie but has 3.5mm on ALL 3 ends so you can use it on a 3.5mm ended headphone like the HIFIMAN Sundara.
I'm using one such cable for my Sundara, no problems at all. They do need to be custom ordered though.

20200829_094526.jpg

I think there's just not enough demand for generic cable manufacturers to mass produce them. And converting an MMXC to 3.5/2.5mm jack is much easier than the inverse.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #4,814 of 9,223
Just bought the KBEAR Rhyme SPC and Limpid pure silver cables from Aliexpress sale, in QDC/2.5mm balanced; to try with my also newly purchased CCA C10 PRO. Thanks to @Dsnuts for the recs for these cables. I've already got the Nicehck pure silver version of the Limpid on my TFZ No.3; and sound wise, it's a stellar improvement to the No.3. Hope the Kbear cables will work well with my new CCA C10 PRO and maybe my KZ ZS10 PRO. Looking forward to sharing my thoughts once they finally arrive.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #4,815 of 9,223
I've had a NiceHCK C4-1 fail on me after just one month. Sound was cutting out in the right channel when pressing the IEM's shell against my ear, so at first I thought it was just the tip bore getting closed inside my ear canal or the plug was losing contact in the mmcx socket somehow. But then I found that the problem was getting worse (most likely because I was fiddling with it). And now I only get sound back occasionally. I don't even know if it's bad solder or the cable is physically broken inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back