Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 30, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #4,396 of 9,186
Out of sheer curiosity. is there such thing as a sub 1m IEM cable? Or would I need to weave it myself?

chitty store on aliexpress has 45/50 cm wires:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951038156.html diy earphone wire short cable 45cm-50cm mmcx ie80 im50 ue900 tf10 A2DC 0.78qdc

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001175059947.html diy short bluetooth earphone wire 45cm mmcx 0.78 qdc ie80 im50 tf10 A2DC 4share/8share

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000738618523.html 8 core short cable MMCX UE900 IE80 0.78MM QDC A2DC IM50 bluetooth cable single crystal copper silver plated cable [around 50 cm]

and probably a few more

it has been mentioned here somewhere on head-fi

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #4,397 of 9,186
hi @hakuzen, is cable 198 still a good basshead cable??? is there any other that you would recommend?
Thanks
sorry for the delay, difficult to get time for anything lately. i'm taking photos of the effect audio vogue series cables to add them to the database.
i haven't tried 198 longer, but it's still my basshead choice. i liked bass with cable 210 as well, not so basshead but remarkable bass.
received super copper cable from CEMA electro acousti as well (together with luxury metals -palladium- cables). haven't tried it yet; will compare it to 198 when i finish effect audio vogue comparisons

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #4,398 of 9,186
This thread seems to mostly be focusing on IEM cables, any decent options for full sized headphones? Looking for something for my Focal Clear. I've thought about re-terminating my ISN C16 but it does seem a bit daunting with 8 wires per 3.5mm connector.
we've talked about 2pin/MMCX to 2.5/3.5mm quality adapters here and/or in my cables thread.
thanks to them you can use any of your IEM cable with your Focal Clear, no re-termination needed.
Haldane shop stocks them at aliexpress, and they also can be found at taobao.
sorry i can't find now the post which included links
ta62_mx-3.5trrs_01.jpg ta63_2p-3.5trrs_01.jpg

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #4,400 of 9,186
To my understanding from both hakuzen and amir from ASR's research so far in cables and DACs and/or amps respectively, the lowest possible output impedance possible would be just south of 0.4Ω with cable #125 (57-60mΩ) and the E1DA 9038S (0.3Ω only accurate to tenth of Ω apparently). What use would this have for me I'm not sure. but I assume it'd matter if an IEM (don't remember any headphone go below 24Ω) had single digit Ω of non uniform load impedance like apparently most Campfire Audio IEMs.

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #4,401 of 9,186
To my understanding from both hakuzen and amir from ASR's research so far in cables and DACs and/or amps respectively, the lowest possible output impedance possible would be just south of 0.4Ω with cable #125 (57-60mΩ) and the E1DA 9038S (0.3Ω only accurate to tenth of Ω apparently). What use would this have for me I'm not sure. but I assume it'd matter if an IEM (don't remember any headphone go below 24Ω) had single digit Ω of non uniform load impedance like apparently most Campfire Audio IEMs.
output impedance of E1DA 9038S is around 0.05Ω@1kHz, measured with Agilent U1733C. amir doesn't use to measure such low output impedance.
the benefits of keeping total output impedance low are explained in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/

"Low resistance is symptom of quality of wires, plugs, and solders (together with total thickness of the conductor, of course).
Low resistance is important to get minimum total output impedance, in order to minimize tonal alterations when using IEM with balanced armatures.
It's also convenient to decrease attenuation and to increase damping factor and efficiency.

1- BA's input impedance curve varies, mainly from upper mids to highs, while dynamic drivers show a flatter curve. Source and cable impedance curve use to be very flat. Due to the BA's impedance curve, the higher total output impedance, the higher tonal alteration. It usually makes the highs harsher, louder, but it depends of the IEM impedance curve (BA's impedance + crossovers), so there are cases where the effect is just the opposite. In general, there is coloration, unpredictable tonal alteration. Total output impedance below 1Ω, and even lower, if possible, is desirable.

2- Also, and this applies to every phones, DD and BA, and speakers, total output impedance higher than 1/8 of the phones resistance (at 1kHz), provokes tonal alteration and higher distortion, specially in lows. This is critical when using very low impedance phones (below 8Ω, for example); in this case (very low impedance phones), you can also reach actual limits of current of your source, provoking high distortion and/or clipping; the source wouldn't like this neither..

3- Also, you get better efficiency with low total output impedance. Louder volume at same voltage. This is good for energy saving, and for longevity of your source. Low output impedance increases electric damping factor, so it helps to drive hard phones.

However, we have to make some considerations about cables.

1- If your source output resistance is 15 times (for instance) higher than the resistance of the cables you are considering, the resistance of the cables becomes insignificant; the culprit of the problem, if any, will reside in your source.

2- The magnitude of the tonal alterations depends of the IEMs mainly. In most cases, the resistance differences between cables won't provoke highly noticeable tonal alteration at human registers; they'll be below 1dB, or even below 0.5dB at audible frequencies, except if we are talking about cables with resistance close or even higher than 1Ω.
It's all about proportions and perfectionism. If we keep our cable resistance lower than 300mΩ (equivalent to 28AWG copper) or 200mΩ (26AWG), most of us shouldn't notice the alterations."

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #4,402 of 9,186
sorry for the delay, difficult to get time for anything lately. i'm taking photos of the effect audio vogue series cables to add them to the database.
i haven't tried 198 longer, but it's still my basshead choice. i liked bass with cable 210 as well, not so basshead but remarkable bass.
received super copper cable from CEMA electro acousti as well (together with luxury metals -palladium- cables). haven't tried it yet; will compare it to 198 when i finish effect audio vogue comparisons
No problem, thanks so much for your comments. Also I will be waiting for the photos and your Vogue comparison :thumbsup:

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #4,403 of 9,186
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pure silver cable. Max budget is 100 bucks

Whats the difference between litz and regular cables by the way? Would it be better to get a 4 core litz cable or a 16 core regular cable assuming both are the same price?

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,404 of 9,186
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pure silver cable. Max budget is 100 bucks

Whats the difference between litz and regular cables by the way? Would it be better to get a 4 core litz cable or a 16 core regular cable assuming both are the same price?

Litz is where every single conductor is individually enameled, before being twisted together. The goal is to reduce the skin effect and improved high frequency performance.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,405 of 9,186
Jul 1, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #4,407 of 9,186
do we still get a discount in CEMA store if we mention this thread or Hauzen name ?

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #4,409 of 9,186
I think that is just for cables. To be fair your not gonna find those adapters any cheaper anywhere else.
yup, nevermind they're cheap enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back