Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #3,781 of 9,288
I buy all my cables in 2.5mm balanced and if I have a source with only 3.5 out like my IFI Black label amp. I use a female 2.5mm adapter that ends with a 3.5mm single end AKA pigtail adapter. Most of my sources has 2.5mm out so this is the most logical method of buying cables for me. Balanced cables are only usable on balanced sources. But have the added benefit of becoming single ended using an adapter. You can't go the opposite way however.

Not the same cable. similar material but not the same.
Have you tried the 090? I like the aesthetic look of it more than the 196 so I’m leaning forwards it

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #3,782 of 9,288
After the issues with Cema they offered me a 30% discount on a replacement cable.

Orderd a new RX series with no ear hooks and some where else on alie mmcx to 3.5 araptors to hook up the HE4xx on balanced.

Shame I can't try the x2hr and hd599 on balanced with the dc01

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #3,783 of 9,288
My only beef with the Trn V90 (after changing eartips) was the cable that felt rather uncomfortable above my ear. I was also slightly annoyed by the color pattern: black cable, royal blue iem and transparent+yellow eartips was a bit meh. Now with the Trn T3 silver cable the whole kit looks much nicer, feels better on my ears and I also find it much easier to handle (less tangling).

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #3,784 of 9,288
My only beef with the Trn V90 (after changing eartips) was the cable that felt rather uncomfortable above my ear. I was also slightly annoyed by the color pattern: black cable, royal blue iem and transparent+yellow eartips was a bit meh. Now with the Trn T3 silver cable the whole kit looks much nicer, feels better on my ears and I also find it much easier to handle (less tangling).

Show uss the result :wink:

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #3,785 of 9,288
So I got some problem with my MMCX ISN S4 cable. The ring on right mmcx connector is noticeably thicker than the one on the right side, making it very difficult to plug in/plug out IEMs (the left side works fine). I actually worry that it may damage the mmcx female on my IEMs. I just reported back to them so maybe they can let ISN know about it. Not like I was being pissed and asking for a refund or anything. A day later, Penon rep asked me for the picture. I sent them one.
20200106_214201_HDR-01.jpeg
And this is a reply
wth.jpg

I don't really get what they were saying but it sounds like they just told me to fix it myself.
Not like I'm not gonna buy from penon anymore or whatsoever, just dealing with their customer service is kinda painful sometimes.
Last time I asked them about their Penon Orbit cable; gauge thickness, material purity, mmcx connector material and solder type. At least they let me know about about the purity and solder type lol.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #3,787 of 9,288
Which cable is best for the drop fdx1? I have been recommended the isn h16 and s16 and am looking into the isn S4 aswell but would like a few more opinions as I never have bought cables. I am after a bit more body and soundstage without compromising on clarity and detail that's why I would prefer not to add much warmth. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My budget is £60.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #3,788 of 9,288
Which cable is best for the drop fdx1? I have been recommended the isn h16 and s16 and am looking into the isn S4 aswell but would like a few more opinions as I never have bought cables. I am after a bit more body and soundstage without compromising on clarity and detail that's why I would prefer not to add much warmth. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My budget is £60.
The S4 cable then could be a good choice then, but since I recently acquired 175, I can say S4 begin to takes some dirt now, lol!
Compared to S4, 175 has much better clarity and details (where S4 feels a bit smoothered in high freqs), much better soundstage (deeper and larger), while I enjoy mids on both cables.
I also much prefer the rumble and bass quality (not quantity) of the 175 over the S4.
The only cons is that 175 is a bit more pricey over the S4, but sometimes its better to add some $$ for best results and be more satisfied with time (especially since a cable is a sustainable purchase) :)

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #3,789 of 9,288
@Sunstealer ill do this on this weekend.. i wanted to give the new cable at least 50 hours of playing time before comparing.
A/B comparing with 174 will be most interesting.

Hey man, any updates on the comparison between the xs series cable and the 175/174?
I'm deciding between the 175 and the xs series cable so I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on them.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #3,791 of 9,288
Lots of nice cables, in this thread. Most recent ones seem to be mainly for IEMs. Still looking for a 4.4mm balanced cable for my HD6xx. I don't mind the ones at Lunashops, but they are almost all 1.2m. Are there any other recommendations? Does anyone here have a 4.4mm balanced cable for their HD600/HD650/HD6xx? I like the look of the 8 core and 16 core ISN cables, but they don't appear to be for my headphone type. Anything similar? Thanks.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #3,792 of 9,288
Thanks
The S4 cable then could be a good choice then, but since I recently acquired 175, I can say S4 begin to takes some dirt now, lol!
Compared to S4, 175 has much better clarity and details (where S4 feels a bit smoothered in high freqs), much better soundstage (deeper and larger), while I enjoy mids on both cables.
I also much prefer the rumble and bass quality (not quantity) of the 175 over the S4.
The only cons is that 175 is a bit more pricey over the S4, but sometimes its better to add some $$ for best results and be more satisfied with time (especially since a cable is a sustainable purchase) :)
Thanks alot! :) Also do the cables add smoothness? I enjoy the stock cable in the sense that its lively without warmth but when I put on the toneking t4 cable the sound was more fuller, bassy and larger stage but that slight warmth is something that slightly bores me and keeps me less engaged.

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #3,793 of 9,288
Thanks

Thanks alot! :) Also do the cables add smoothness? I enjoy the stock cable in the sense that its lively without warmth but when I put on the toneking t4 cable the sound was more fuller, bassy and larger stage but that slight warmth is something that slightly bores me and keeps me less engaged.
S4 is definitely smoother than 175, I would say this last is more "technical", feels much higher-end (sonically speaking) than S4.
About warmness, its hard to say, I would say they are almost identical in this domain (bass freqs are interprated differently, so difficult to really judge), but I would say that S4 is very slightly more warm to my ears, while 175 is sounding a little more "dark" due to the huge soundstage of UP-OCC.
I still think you really should give a try to 175 (if you can)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #3,794 of 9,288
The 175 cable I will definitely get my hands on in due time as it is a little pricey for me right now but is really intriguing.

@Dsnuts I greatly appreciate your help with recommending the isn cables but if it isn't too much to ask could you please compare the isn S4 and the isn s16 cable with the fdx1 iem? It would be great if you could note down the difference of soundstage and clarity in particular. This would really save me the time and money from cable rolling.

Also do the S4 and s16 cable improve on soundstage, clarity and detail over the stock cable? I am more focused on soundstage, clarity, detail and a lively sound that's why I do not want the warmer h16. My toneking t4 cable helped with the stage but there was some smearing on the mids and I ultimately preferred the more cleaner and precise stock sound.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #3,795 of 9,288
Just tried the S-16 and the S4 on the FDX1. S-16 I think is what your looking for. Both of these cables add better detail retrieval over the stock cable. Adds a touch of shimmer to the treble the S4 especially. The S-16 is the way to go as it also increases the sound to have a bit more depth too vs the S4. Fuller more expansive sounding with that added detail. It sounds like what your looking for. S4 has the leg up on detail and sounds like it has a touch more width of stage but that is due to the notes not being as full sounding.

As I posted earlier I prefer the H-16 since it is the most musical sounding on the FDX1. S-16 bass isnt as full sounding but you get some added detail to the sound which is a good trade off. You want a lively sound but adds a bit of stage and depth go for the S-16. It is what your looking for. Get it in balanced too if you can go balanced. Will help with the stage aspect as well.

If your looking for the best detail out of the 3 cables the S4 is that but doesn't have the fullness of sound like the other 2 cables. I feel all 3 cables expand the stage vs stock cables the thicker H16 has a good balance between fullness and a balanced sound with the best bass response. S-16 adds a bit more toward mids and treble but again adds that fullness to the sonics, The S4 is all about the detail and treble extension. Clarity is the best with the S4.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back