Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Nov 9, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #136 of 9,205
How is this cable : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NIC...7.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.19f6e647s68zJz ?
HTB1VO1HwQCWBuNjy0Faq6xUlXXa4.jpg

Looks real nice. Also is the trn cable any good? Would it improve sound, say compared to the cable I linked or the nicehck copper cable posted above? Is it worth it to spend more...?

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #137 of 9,205
See now this is the ultimate question. Will a cheaper cable be better than this other cable. My own experience with these cheaper cables. To be honest there is a lot of grey area here due to synergy with a particular iem and ones own preference of sound signature. Some might want warmer tone some might like a more brighter tone for example. Regardless of how a cable measures.

These cables are cheap enough to get a few and experiment with. I noticed BA based iems has more effect from cable swapping but a dyanmic one can have some subtle changes based on the cable as well.

And the fact that we all have different iems. So ultimately as crazy as this sounds. $20< for a 8 core cable be it SPC or copper variety. Buy a few and see for yourself. This is the only real way you will know. I can say this cable is better than that cable but for your iem I have no idea and anyone that says it is better or worse. Unless they tried that cable with the exact iem your talking about and has your exact likes in sound signature., how does one really know?

Set a budget for yourself. Get yourself a few cables. Experiement. Kinda fun actually.

I have 3 cables in my basket right now and I am sure there will be a few more once I am done. lol.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #139 of 9,205
Dsnuts,

I would like to experiment with the different cables that are being offered on aliexpress. The only issue is whether these cables are actually made of the materials claimed to be used. If it was a straightforward comparison between the materials used, namely copper, silver, gold etc it will not be a problem. Some listings are just too good to be true. I see myself filtering through many sellers' listings. Hakuzen's list has been quite handy. Some of those you have recommended are also in my own list. Trying to narrow it down before I pull the trigger.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #140 of 9,205
Ya ultimately narrow down your list. As crazy as this sounds we are all in the same boat when it comes to these cables. Again I stand by my experiences with them. For the most part these cables are most certainly and upgrade over the stock cables most manufacturers pack in with your iems. It will really be up to you to find out if they enhance the performance of your iems.

I can understand the trustworthy nature of some of the purity claims and such and you can't base a purchase on how many 5 star reviews the cable has. so ya it is a shot in the dark sort to say. If you own more than one iem that has mmcx or 2 pin. Then it is worth experimenting. If you own one iem then maybe not so much.

I would first try a cheaper variety some of the more expensive ones are the ones that are more questionable. Again we wont know unless we start to buy em up and report here. YOU guys are the chi fi cable pioneers!

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #141 of 9,205
i measured frequency response of some iems while using different cables. zero noticeable difference. so cables don't alter tonality. tips do affect tonality.
a cable doesn't have any sound attribute. it could only degrade signal in a major or minor level.
now i want to measure distortion differences. because suspect this could be a possible degradation. this would explain a thinner sound when using silver vs copper: no tonal difference, but mids and highs could be perceived as much detailed with silver, while bass rumble is more noticeable with copper, warmer (means thicker) sound.
till then, i consider conductivity is a symptom of build quality (wire, plugs, and solders), and less chance of degradation by itself (vs external interference).

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #142 of 9,205
Ya ultimately narrow down your list. As crazy as this sounds we are all in the same boat when it comes to these cables. Again I stand by my experiences with them. For the most part these cables are most certainly and upgrade over the stock cables most manufacturers pack in with your iems. It will really be up to you to find out if they enhance the performance of your iems.

I can understand the trustworthy nature of some of the purity claims and such and you can't base a purchase on how many 5 star reviews the cable has. so ya it is a shot in the dark sort to say. If you own more than one iem that has mmcx or 2 pin. Then it is worth experimenting. If you own one iem then maybe not so much.

I would first try a cheaper variety some of the more expensive ones are the ones that are more questionable. Again we wont know unless we start to buy em up and report here. YOU guys are the chi fi cable pioneers!
i'm in same boat. just experimenting..

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #144 of 9,205
Nov 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #145 of 9,205
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #146 of 9,205
can you confirm my measurements of dc resistance of new trn 8 cores cable, please?
i measured this:
left: 0.45 right: 0.22 groundL: 0.14 groundR: 0.27 Ω. (single end yellow)
left+: 0.42 right+: 0.22 left-: 0.29 right-: 0.15 Ω (2.5mm balanced black)
as you can see, there is a big difference (0.3Ω) between left and groundL/right-.
the reason should be obvious: they have soldered 1 only core for left in the jack, while 3 cores for groundL/right-, instead of 2 cores/signal, for soldering comfort causes probably.
i want you confirm this is a rule, and not an exception (i got 2 different cables, and both were wrong soldered).

Ok, I did a re-measure of the cables and this time, I made sure I held them in place securely before I placed the probes onto them.

Given that my multimeter only measures to 0.1 Ohms resolution, it was bouncing back and forth between the different measurements taken. I noted down the most common reading I saw.

0.75mm 2-pin 3.5mm Plug : Left Earth : 0.4, Left + 0.8, Right Earth : 0.4, Right +: 0.4

0.75mm 2-pin 2.5mm TRRS Plug: Left Earth : 0.4, Left + 0.6, Right Earth : 0.4, Right +: 0.4

MMCX pin 2.5mm TRRS Plug: Left Earth : 0.5, Left + 0.8, Right Earth : 0.5, Right +: 0.5

I think I must have shorted things somewhere in my initial measurements.

3.5mm plug connection:

HS0Kv.jpg

2.5mm TRRS connection:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HSh9zyDk...AAACQM/mLB5R9TXdDo/s320/2_5mm+TRRS+pinout.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #147 of 9,205
Ok, I did a re-measure of the cables and this time, I made sure I held them in place securely before I placed the probes onto them.

Given that my multimeter only measures to 0.1 Ohms resolution, it was bouncing back and forth between the different measurements taken. I noted down the most common reading I saw.

0.75mm 2-pin 3.5mm Plug : Left Earth : 0.8, Left + 0.4, Right Earth : 0.4, Right +: 0.4

0.75mm 2-pin 2.5mm TRRS Plug: Left Earth : 0.5, Left + 0.4, Right Earth : 0.4, Right +: 0.4

MMCX pin 2.5mm TRRS Plug: Left Earth : 0.8, Left + 0.5, Right Earth : 0.5, Right +: 0.5

I think I must have shorted things somewhere in my initial measurements.

The poorly done Left Earth seems to be a common thing.
thanks!
you should subtract the resistance of your multimeter leads (touch them and see what the multimeter says).
well, your measurements don't confirm mines: in my case, left measures 3x the resistance of left ground (TRS version); in your case, it seems to be the opposite.
more testing needed to guess the cause of the differences.

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #148 of 9,205
Ooo found another one. Much cheaper in more terminations.
HTB1gClLeIuYBuNkSmRyq6AA3pXaN.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...lgo_pvid=6470c32f-944b-4868-8431-94c8c3eefcd6

They actually say silver plated copper on this one. SO more colored than anything. Looks good though. I bet it sounds great too. Love the wooden cases these cables come in. I keep some tips in one of them I got a while ago.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...lgo_pvid=5d178dd0-f7ca-42cf-8b0b-23c38a96ddb2
in this case, the plugs don't show eidolic logo. that could be the difference.
i've been comparing true eidolic plugs with this kind of chinese knocks-off, and they look almost identical (at least, seen from outside).
i'd bet both are made in the same factories.. eidolics get the logo printed, knocks-off don't

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #150 of 9,205

Users who are viewing this thread

Back